Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows Live Messenger

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Windows Live Messenger
July 03, 2010 01:52PM
Hey guys, so I have enabled the default 4 lists that come with Peer Blocker and also added the "Primary Threats" list from I-BlockList. I think the later blocks all Microsoft IP's which as a general rule I do not mind (in fact I think its a pretty good idea), but I would like to still use MSN (or Windows Live Messenger as its branded now) I have been communicating with friends this way for years and while I know its probably frowned upon by the security l33t I still would like to use it.

I saw a Microsoft IP range list at iblocklist but I would rather just get msn working and not the entire Microsoft IP range... any help would be appreciated.
Re: Windows Live Messenger
July 03, 2010 01:57PM
You can either set the entire Microsoft list as allow, or Right click IP's that MSN is using, and add them to a permanent allow list.
Anonymous User
July 03, 2010 02:09PM
ya I'd prefer not to allow the entire Microsoft list... I should have mentioned something about what happens with the "right clicking" and allow the IP's approach in my original post... when I try to connect 5 "Microsoft Corp" IP's come up and 2 "MS Hotmail" IP's come up... if I try and connect again the same amount of IP's come up but with all new ports, no pattern I can see to date. First that seems like a lot of IP's to open up for one application and also if the ports are all changing at random I think I would need to add them ahead of time... but I have no idea what ports it seems to randomly pick.

I was hoping for a bit of a micro managed solution... no pun intended... a scalpel instead of an axe/machete approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 02:10PM by madman08.
July 03, 2010 03:49PM
Sadly, Microsoft being a big corporation at it is, chances are they have a very huge selection of IP addresses for various services. Reason for the amount of IP addresses is for back-up if the other address fail or as an alternative address for quicker connection. So scalpel approach (heightened focus and greater patience) would be to time it so that you can recognize the MSN IP address when login in, right click allow and repeat the whole process until PeerBlock doesn't block any login attempt anymore.
Anonymous User
July 03, 2010 04:20PM
sigh, guess thats that then, thanks for feedback all the same smiling smiley
Anonymous User

September 05, 2010 03:41PM
You can turn off Primary Threats if you have the other 4.
It's just a mix of those lists and apparently the M$ list too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login