Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Always-On Xbox Console Controversy Swirls

Posted by DarC 
Always-On Xbox Console Controversy Swirls
April 22, 2013 06:13AM
"Ever since it was rumored that Microsoft’s next Xbox console will have an always online requirement, the Internet has been abuzz with controversy. The gaming industry is largely split between those who reject the idea and those who believe audiences are ready for always-on consoles. Will the so-called Xbox 720 be able to quell all concerns when it comes out later this year? Or will the always-on requirement be so off-putting that players will consider switching to PlayStation?

Microsoft has not yet officially commented on the reports. However, Microsoft Studios Creative Director Adam Orth said in a recent tweet that he didn’t understand the “drama” around having an always-on gaming system.

And other prominent figures of the gaming industry agree. Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat believes audiences are ready for this, given that so many people are already always online via other devices they use. In his opinion, when players stop worrying, they will start to realize the benefits an online system could bring, such as a closer connection with game manufacturers, extra content or online services."

[techbeat.com]

This is scary because this damn thin could be used like so may smart phones to track you like a statistic. Piss on MicroMoney.
Re: Always-On Xbox Console Controversy Swirls
April 22, 2013 06:46PM
last system ive boughten was the ps2 then i bought a comp.

if they ever make it a requirement to have internet connect to the gaming console then i will never buy that product, never. sooner or later these companies will realize that they dont set standards such as this, the people (consumers, the ones that buy the products/services) control what/how they want to enjoy their gaming system. there are plenty of people including me that buy majority non internet games, having to have my ps4/xbox720 with a live internet connection w/o the need for it but yet is a requirement to play a game that i purchased which i dont intend on playing online with throws a whole bunch of red flags.

wake up people, it's okay to be anti-corporate. remember in this consumer driven economy, we the consumers have all the power, you just have to stand up for yourself and use it.

companies/corporations nowadays are just like that school bully you used to see, they'll bully and do whatever they to get what they want no matter the cost til enough people stand up to them. boycotting is good when appropriate and necessary........

take 5 mins and think it through, impulsiveness can lead to many consequences/drawbacks.

thats my two cents...

*edit (off topic)

when i have my "NoScript" running on firefox, PB says that all my messages/posts are spam and that they have to be approved by a moderator??? i am a moderator wft lol....why is that so?

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 06:50PM by brandonjm8.
April 23, 2013 07:38PM
CISPA - welcome to the new Net.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 08:06PM by DarC.
April 28, 2013 02:46PM
just in case people are following this thread....

last week CISPA was shot down by the senate, the house passed it in a hurry in an attempt to quietly pass it through without us the people even knowing whats going on.

basically, the senate will not take up the houses' version of said legislation, they plan to draw up their own.

ive also heard that obama said he would veto any CISPA like bill (remains to be seen)

but for now CISPA is shelved, breathe a sigh of relief for this might not last long.

i really hope others like me aren't afraid to protest should anything similar to this crap (CISPA, which has many many in its 1000+ pages of laws that would give more of an advantage to corporations and the federal govt against people on the internet), please those of you who not know of what i speak, google it, look it up yourself and read this crap our own house of representatives who are supposed to watch our backs tried to get quietly passed.

i thought id never say this but thank you senate for not passing this and causing potentially very dire protests.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2013 02:50PM by brandonjm8.
April 30, 2013 03:56AM
I think M$ would be smart enough to not have 'Always-On' (Please take a note from Sim City's recent events).. but then again.. its M$ ..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login