For what purposes do you generally use PeerBlock?
June 18, 2010 02:43PM
Poll
13972 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
For what purposes do you generally use PeerBlock?

We'd love to get some "hard" numbers about how y'all are using PeerBlock.  This way we won't just be guessing when trying to figure out what proportion of our user base falls into a specific category.

Thanks in advance for providing this sort of feedback!

---  Mark  ---

Edit:  "Unlocked" poll so that anonymous/unregistered users can vote on it as well.

Lead developer of PeerBlock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 01:24PM by MarkSide.
Anonymous User
Re: For what purposes do you generally use PeerBlock?
June 24, 2010 03:12PM
A little bit of everything, but the majority of my use is while "rarely" p2ping winking smiley
June 26, 2010 10:36PM
i chose OTHER. i use it for p2p, but just leave it running all the time since it doesn't take up much resources

This is my Signature!
Anonymous User
June 27, 2010 04:30AM
ss18 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i chose OTHER. i use it for p2p, but just leave
> it running all the time since it doesn't take up
> much resources

I chose general system protection but the reason for downloading it was for when I'm p2ping.
June 29, 2010 01:25PM
Given that the amount of feedback received on the "Do you leave HTTP Allowed?" question was much greater than this one, I've "unlocked" the poll so that anonymous/unregistered users can vote on it as well.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
June 30, 2010 05:01PM
I only use it while I run internet-based P2P programs.
If I were back in the dorms at the university I would leave it running all the time for general protection with the EDU list active.
Anonymous User
July 02, 2010 12:33AM
Now it is ALWAYS running.
But, I have to admit, it was first installed for protection while P2Peing only.
Anonymous User
July 25, 2010 05:38PM
PB 404 is always active , and I do *not* run any P2P . Cheers.
Anonymous User
July 26, 2010 04:18PM
I would use it all the time if it wasn't for that blasted list update popup window every time it starts.
July 26, 2010 04:23PM
kris44dad, you can disable updating the lists at startup if you so choose. Having your lists up to date is a good idea, though.
Anonymous User
August 27, 2010 01:43AM
I would use it all the time ..but it slows me down getting into web sites and some p2p sitesI cannot get into when it runs ...but I run it as much as possible...every little bit Helps ..Thanks guys 4 a great program..now all we need is a IP hiding program ...thats free!!!
Anonymous User
August 29, 2010 01:16PM
I obtained PeerBlock today. I'm hoping to use it mainly for P2Ping. I've had problems in the past with P2P's so I'm hoping it will give the relief I need. I will post an update after a few days.
Anonymous User

September 05, 2010 09:44PM
Peerblock runs constantly as the middle layer firewall on my system.
Two firewalls upstream and downstream of PB run when I am not hunting AP2P and spammers.
Anonymous User
September 30, 2010 06:20AM
It runs on a machine that is used primarily for p2p and file serving. Some sites are blocked for browsing with the defaults (even though http is allowed) but this is usually not a problem since blocking an innocent site is much better than missing a malignant site. This would be a pain if it was the only machine available.
November 06, 2010 03:37AM
I'm using p2p every day so I just let PeerBlock run 24/7 too since it's very light on system resources.
Anonymous User
November 08, 2010 05:41AM
so far, i just let it run all the time.
Anonymous User
April 05, 2011 11:00AM
I use it mainly for P2P stuff but generally keep it running all the time BUT I'm finding lately it crashes my PC when updating, makes it hang and requires a power off of the PC - reinstalled windows with newer version of windows 7 and same problem.
April 05, 2011 08:44PM
We've been lacking on the development end atm because Mark has been busy doing other stuff. (Don't know what, particularly, but this is why newer patched versions have been hard to come by.
June 02, 2011 04:39AM
heard about it while p2p'ing but fell in love with what PB as a whole does for your computer and yourself. now its a part of my computers defense along with a firewall, av, and anti-malware/spyware.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
June 03, 2011 09:03AM
PB closes the leak after loading websites and they do crosslinks all over the world, what nobody are aware off.
So, user knows, that their computer will definitely not connect to server on the blocklists.
Anonymous User
July 25, 2011 08:44PM
I am new to P2P and Peerblock both and I am also curious about this question, I only downloaded it to run in conjunction with bittorrent when bt was in use, not at other times because my pc is already protected so I am curious to know why other people are using the program all the time.
July 25, 2011 09:35PM
PB is an ip blocker, with that being said it will block incoming and outgoing connections if they fall in any of your chosen blocklists. In other words it keeps the bad guys from connecting to your computer as long as they fall within one of your block lists, it also keeps yourself from connecting to undesirable people.

Its like a firewall but doesn't block by app but by ip's.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 09:35PM by brandonjm8.
Anonymous User
April 10, 2012 08:28AM
For online games.
Anonymous User
May 02, 2012 05:02PM
I use PeerBlock for p2p and advertisement blocking. The program is simple yet effective as a firewall. If you ever go full blown firewall ie. rule creation and NAT I would be very interested.
Anonymous User
December 10, 2012 08:47AM
Welcome for the redevelopment of peerblock. Please update this program with the new OSes Win8 and Server 2012. We hope a better progress and have good wishes for peerblock.

Thank you to all the developer and users.
January 03, 2013 06:43AM
;-) your the fist person whom I've talked with who gives any care for Win 8 and Server 2012 =winking smiley I've been busy un-marrying the OS from several Clients computers since Christmas.
January 10, 2014 01:24PM
P2P but also I run it now as a defense against spyware and ads, aswell as keeping my information safe from university/computer science 'projects' (the type against not only p2p filesharing catching techniques but the likes of mass surveillance).

Peerblock for the win
Anonymous User
January 19, 2014 08:45PM
I initially started using PeerGuardian (now PeerBlock), to replace having multiple P2P programs independently loading block lists, and to remove BlueTack's Block List Manager from the equation. In the old days, I used to manually pick which lists to use, merge them together, wait for the merger, save as a block list file, and have each of my programs load that file. This was all manual, and time intensive. It was a pain to keep lists up to date each week. PG/PB reduced and automated all of this into a quite painless process. Computers got faster, and the process being automated, I kept PG/PB running all the time. I'm poor and have very slow internet. PB (along with Mozilla Firefox Addons like NoScript and AdBlock Plus) helps reduce time waiting for useless and/or harmful data to download. So I leave it running all the time now. It is nice to see development pick up once again.
Anonymous User
January 26, 2014 05:18PM
I keep it running all the time while the computer is on. I use it at home and at work. At work when I check the active blocking window there is very little activity. I do not P2P at work. At home where I do lot of P2P, the active blocking is tremendous, a new line scrolls every 0.75 seconds or so even when not browsing. I guess the AV, the firewall, etc can only do so much. Nothing is perfect, so every little bit helps.
Anonymous User
March 04, 2014 02:36PM
8 pcs in the house. It runs on all, all the time. General Protection and with specific attention when P2P, interface open.
One day a few months ago it stopped on one of my pcs and when I went to go online all kinds of bad stuff happened. Browser hijacked, malware, popups, spyware self installing. Amazing how much can happen in just a few hours without it. Clearly a necessity. Been a user since "Peer Guardian".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login