Do you leave HTTP Allowed?

Posted by MarkSide 
Do you leave HTTP Allowed?
June 26, 2010 03:49AM
Poll
1669 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Do you leave HTTP allowed?

This week's question is more specifically about whether you generally leave HTTP blocked or allowed.  Feel free to answer "No" even if you do allow HTTP every once in awhile, it's just your general usage that matters most.

Also, this poll should be open even to anonymous visitors / unregistered users - let's see how that goes for the week!  winking smiley

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 03:52AM by MarkSide.
Re: Do you leave HTTP Allowed?
June 26, 2010 10:34PM
i do, mainly because i am not too concerned with HTTP style attacks

This is my Signature!
June 27, 2010 12:46PM
I myself allow HTTP whenever browsing becomes too inconvenient to certain websites. But I do try to keep HTTP Block on as much as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 12:46PM by Tippy.
Anonymous User
June 30, 2010 04:58PM
I allow HTTP all of the time. I don't use any ad block lists, and I am not concerned about HTTP-based attacks or monitoring.
Anonymous User
July 01, 2010 03:24AM
Running the latest Beta.

The new "Allow http for x minutes" option is very nice.
Really great work you're doing here on PeerBlock!

Thanks a lot!

Fixit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 03:30AM by Fixit.
Anonymous User
July 02, 2010 12:27AM
I voted for a "YES", but it has some considerations:
Due to dinamic IP's change and blocklists changes, it's easier to let http allowed when NOT p2peing.. (aka torrenting).
If blocked, I cannot acces too many sites. If I reduce my blocklist lists, I don't feel secure..
So, this is my way of livin'.
I hope that's what you want to hear.
Anonymous User
July 22, 2010 03:49PM
Is it possible to make a list of allowed/protected ports?
Anonymous User
July 25, 2010 05:57PM
PB 404 is always active , and I do *not* run any P2P .

I let HTTP blocked all the time . Eventually (< 5%) for new sites I "Allow for 15 min",

and afterwards I check History to add(?) to PermAllow . Cheers .
Anonymous User
August 05, 2010 12:59PM
It would be great if we could have a different set of list for HTTP!

vtrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it possible to make a list of allowed/protected
> ports?

I thought about that too. But that's kind of the firewalls' job.

i miss good ol' NukeNabber! ^^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2010 01:03PM by Pnocturne.
Anonymous User
September 10, 2010 10:35AM
I use selective and the temporally (xx mins) allow BUT a great addition would be a *Revoke Temporary Permissions* button /right click option (a la NOscript).
November 06, 2010 03:35AM
I use the allow http for 15 minutes option all the time when browsing around news sites that link to other sites, like digg.com, because I know lots of sites will be blocked and too much of a pain of having to allow all the time.
November 06, 2010 05:44PM
perhaps a warning that a site has been blocked with the ability to allow for a given amount of time or permanently.
Anonymous User
November 08, 2010 05:37AM
NO, most of my normal browsing sites works fine with it off. some do not, so i allow for a little while. But i'm still learning how to use this program
Anonymous User
November 24, 2010 04:57PM
I answered no for two main reasons.
#1 Peerblock will keep an entire site from loading even if it's just blocking certain IPs within the site.
#2 High CPU usage when it blocks any HTTP.

Since I've been on the net before the www prefix, I've always used a security in layers concept.

Along with a router firewall, AV and a whole host of scanning tools; Adblock and Hostman are what I rely upon to steer me clear of the bothersome HTTP places on the net.
For years, I used Scott Lemmon's (RIP) The Proxomitron, and you'll find that a lot of it's core ended up being used by any number of firewall and AV developers.
It's still a great tool to play with but, with everything I have on my plate, I needed more automation while not allowing an all-in-one bloatware solution to dumb me down and slow me down.

Peerblock is an excellent tool for blocking nosey or nasty Peers while using P2P, I'm just not sure if the HTTP blocking will ever be enabled on my box and I might humbly suggest that more resources be focused on the P2P blocking end.

I'm grateful to the developers of Peerblock and appreciate the fact that it's free.
It takes quite a bit for a piece of software to be included in my security layer. Good work Peerblock Devs!

Stephen in Texas
Anonymous User
May 07, 2011 04:19PM
I leave HTTP open all the time when using PeerBlock, though it doesn't always work. I believe this is because some websites will content using ports other than ports 80 and 443?

I love PeerBlock, and though there are numerous ways it can be improved, all I ask for is the ability to use it to block traffic on ports I define (or application-specific) in the settings. This is huge for me, and it cannot come fast enough. smiling smiley
May 07, 2011 06:01PM
hellenkiller, port allowing is under development. Application specific blocking has also been suggested but work on it hasn't begun yet.

As for HTTP allowing, yeah, it only allows ports 80 and 443. If stuff gets blocked even if it's allowed, it's using some other ports to deliver the stuff.
June 02, 2011 04:34AM
i block all http except when im on my internet browser.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
April 08, 2012 02:36AM
Yes, for one reason.

I run PeerBlock on my router. While I only want to block uTorrent running on the same router, PeerBlock does not have that option. In addition, when some other PC in the LAN wants to access a blocked IP (and I want to make an exception), I cannot right click on that IP in the "blocked" list and select "allow", because PeerBlock for some reason always picks up only the internal IP of the PC and not the blocked IP, that is, say that PC 192.168.0.1 wants to send a packet to IP 1.2.3.1, which is blocked. If I right click on the item in the list, it only allows me to unblock 192.168.0.1 and not 1.2.3.4, which is actually blocked.
As such, browsing is difficult with the "allow http" option turned off.
Anonymous User
August 09, 2012 06:16PM
Poll
Do you leave HTTP allowed?

.....This question should be based on: "....if torrenting, surfing, both, or checking a particular site."

When I'm torrenting PeerBlock is Enabled, and when not torrenting it's Disabled.

I seldom use Allow HTTP since I now use "Allow for 15 minutes" or "...one hour".
Anonymous User
November 10, 2012 02:46AM
i saw so many notification of blocks.. i rather keep turning htttp block on than be infected.. :9
January 09, 2014 10:59PM
roger2010 Wrote:
> I use selective and the temporally (xx mins) allow
> BUT a great addition would be a *Revoke Temporary
> Permissions* button /right click option (a la
> NOscript).

I agree despite this being a 3 year old post smiling smiley a revoke temporary permissions would be fantastic

Peerblock for the win
Anonymous User
January 19, 2014 09:00PM
I voted Sometimes, although, my normal usage is to Block HTTP and allow as needed for 15 minutes or an hour. If I feel I will need this address long term, I right-click, copy, and add to a local Allow list, and toggle an empty NOOP list, since there's no other way to pick up changes on local lists than by toggling Enable/Disable checkbox on at least one.

Sometimes I know I won't use a site for long, and the site annoys me by pinging dozens of content delivery network caches, and minimal danger of getting hit by infected ads, so I Allow HTTP while surfing that one site, then Block HTTP after. Sometimes I will take the time to add all these CDN caches to a list, to give finer control in future. Allow HTTP can let in sites I do NOT want, so I do not like to use it much. But am definitely glad it is available.

As mentioned in another post, when blocking HTTP in conjunction with Mozilla Firefox Addons NoScript and AdBlock Plus, I help reduce scarce bandwidth usage by blocking ad sites not just from displaying in browser, but from downloading in the first place.

I also put sites I'd like to avoid into my hosts file and point to a local HTTP server with a 1x1 transparent pixel catch all. Particularly annoying sites, I may put into my router's local DNS Masq to point to a catch-all web server on LAN, so it won't slow down everyone else waiting for blocked IPs to timeout. On rare occasions, really really annoying sites, and things that ignore DHCP's specified DNS servers, I just drop all their packets in router ip tables. grinning smiley
Anonymous User
January 26, 2014 04:56PM
I keep HTTP blocked 99.9 % with the exceptions list containing only a few sites for banking, yahoo mail, etc. Occasionally I will allow a specific site 15 minutes and even more rarely I will "disable" all blocking while on a site and then "enable" once I leave the site.
Anonymous User
March 04, 2014 02:39PM
I leave http on because I use the host file to block http stuff.
Anonymous User
June 23, 2014 11:24AM
I leave allow HTTP sometimes when I'm browsing specific sites, but generally leave it as block by default. It would be nice if we could add websites/ IP addresses/ domains to a 'custom list' of sorts, which we could also enable/ disable - which would be useful for browsing certain sites.
fxm
July 22, 2014 01:59PM
anotherpeerblockuser Wrote:

> It would be nice if we could add
> websites/ IP addresses/ domains to a 'custom list'
> of sorts, which we could also enable/ disable -
> which would be useful for browsing certain sites.

See [www.peerblock.com] for instructions on creating a list manually
May 13, 2016 09:54PM
I leave it on because I have other apps/software protecting my system
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login