Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable to start Drive, "The driver has been blocked from starting"

Posted by Anonymous User 
Im trying to run Peerblock on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, x64 but when ever i load up peerblock it gives the error:

PeerBlock is unable to load the packet filtering driver.
This could happen if PeerBlock crashed and didn't have a chance
to unload the driver, or if the file pbfilter.sys can't be found.

class win32_error
StartService
The driver has been blocked from loading

Log is attached and im using the default settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 02:04PM by NextToNothing.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (6.3 KB)
Re: Unable to start Drive, "The driver has been blocked from starting"
March 13, 2011 05:37PM
Could you try using the latest stable one and see if it still happens.

[www.peerblock.com]

It's version 1.1
Exact same error, ive tryed lost of different releases none work
March 13, 2011 11:13PM
I took a look at your log file and I'm no expert but your default folder looks wrong. That's not where your pbfilter.sys file is suppose to be.

[\??\C:\Users\Dream\Desktop\PeerBlock\pbfilter.sys]
Im using the portable version there but if i used the portable, the install exe or what ever, it wont work.
March 14, 2011 04:50PM
Do you have any anti virus/security software running when you start PeerBlock?

It could be interfering with the loading of the PeerBlock driver.
Only anti virus i have is Windows Firewall but thats disabled so port are not blocked.

It may be some kind of setting on the computer thats stopping it from running? No idea where it would be changed or called.

EDIT: also i cant start the pbfilter.sys maulally by CMD (sc start)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 01:14PM by NextToNothing.
Wow, you know im still looking for an answer i dont disappear and die after 3 days..
March 18, 2011 08:45PM
NextToNothing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, you know im still looking for an answer i
> dont disappear and die after 3 days..

NextToNothing apparently no one came come up with a solution for you(me included). But also wanted to let you know that the people working here are doing so on their own time. We are all volunteers. Also we are here to trouble shoot PeerBlock not your computer.
Hello Moderator; I'm Dj, having the same issue. I am confused. Where exactly is the filter.sys folder supposed to be? I'm using WMC 05 - Acer Aspire 1640Z
March 23, 2011 01:44PM
@ djmastrs7 - The "pbfilter.sys" file must be in the same folder as PeerBlock
ineedalifetoday Wrote:
> @ djmastrs7 - The "pbfilter.sys" file must be in
> the same folder as PeerBlock

Mine is located in the same folder as the peerblock launcher.

RobrPatty Wrote:
> NextToNothing Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wow, you know im still looking for an answer i
> > dont disappear and die after 3 days..
>
>
> NextToNothing apparently no one came come up with
> a solution for you(me included). But also wanted
> to let you know that the people working here are
> doing so on their own time. We are all volunteers.
> Also we are here to trouble shoot PeerBlock not
> your computer.

I understand this. Im also a bit (dont know the work to describe but confused?) that there isnt people regularly on this forum as its a good program to use. I have posted on windows help forum, recently received a couple of reply after about a week but still no working answers over there.
Now I'm working from memory and I might be out of date with this info but if I remember rightly this sounds similar to a problem I first had when I met Windows 7 for the first time, the solution turned out that windows 7 does not allow some drivers to work unless they are digitally signed! and I had problems getting PB to work at first till I stumbled into a post on how to add new unsigned drivers in windows 7.

hmmm - help me here, I know I'm not explaining myself correctly AND i ain't got the original link to revisit!

Ive just Gluegled this and come up with this post, from memory this sounds like what I did,
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127187.html
All I can remember is I could not get PB to run, it totally refused at start up and when I ran it manually it stated something about using digitally signed drivers and said the driver was blocked - it was PB generating this error
I digitally signed all the files in the folder and hey presto! well in my case anyhow, (64bit)

Asking for help on a forum is a hit and miss thing, unless there are 1,000's of visitors per hour, most people visiting here are here only when downloading a copy or something goes wrong. If that person has not had your problem then they will not have researched it and hence do not know the answer, I suspect this is a 64bit problem and this is why you get some people giving tips that do not work on your PC!.

Come back periodically and re-check, mention your still interested in the answer to bump it up on the odd occasion and let folks know - oh and patience, if someone was working here then the software would not be free yeh!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2011 05:09PM by MrScabby2.
If you do not have ADMINISTRATOR access to your computer when you try to install you might get that type of message.

try this . . .

1. UN-INSTALL PB
2. Make sure your log in has admin access.
3. Do a fresh install

On another issue.
> "Only anti virus i have is Windows Firewall but thats disabled so port are not blocked."

Please download a good free firewall.
My current suggestion is COMODO
[personalfirewall.comodo.com]

Also, check out blocking ads and malware with a host file
[www.mvps.org]

both these will help with security fo little work and no cost.

I specially like the sandbox feature of comodo
Sup Gordon? I'm Dj & I also use Comodo. That is not the issue. I switch back and forth from Safe Mode, to Clean PC mode with no issues to PB. I'm runnin XP MCE05. I've tryed a fresh install with the PB 1.1, & with Beta 1.0 - Did not help.
I have no idea if Windows Server 64bit is the same but there is a driver issue if the files are not signed on Windows 7 Home 64bit.

http://forums.peerblock.com/read.php?3,10121

If you do not understand what to do ask.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login