Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should my router not be blocking unexpected traffic?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Should my router not be blocking unexpected traffic?
April 28, 2011 06:27PM
Why would PeerBlock have so many blocked IP in its log files as my computer is sitting behind a router, and since the router is monitoring all the Internet traffic, it knows what information I have requested and should only allow incoming traffic that is expected. Other traffic that has not been requested should be dropped and not allowed to come to my computer, but according to the PeerBlock logs it is coming in and PeerBlock is then blocking it. It seems unlikely that any of the applications on my computer are initiating most of these requests as many of them are universities from around the world. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Should my router not be blocking unexpected traffic?
April 29, 2011 08:23PM
A router forwards traffic across a network. Your computer is most likely requesting those packets of data. The router will allow data to go through if a computer on the network requests it.

Are they occurring alot from port 80, 8080 or 443? If so, this is considered web browser traffic from visiting various web sites. If not then various programs could be making the request (ex: Google Desktop, Anti-Virus, IM Clients, etc). Running P2P apps can cause alot of requests from around the world.

If you don't have any running programs and still seeing alot of request then perhaps a program running in the background is "calling home". Either for updates, maintenance, etc.

Is the source a 192.168.x.x address? Any specific port always being logged?

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login