Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netrouting Telecom rapid traffic on all ports with torrentz.com

Posted by lazershark 
Netrouting Telecom rapid traffic on all ports with torrentz.com
June 08, 2011 06:36AM
Hello,

I have been using Peerblock for a while, but I had always had it set to 'allow http'.
I was experimenting today with 'block http' turned on, and I noticed that it was impossible for me to access the torrent search engine torrentz.com.

When I looked at the peerblock log, I noticed that my computer was trying to access an IP called 'Netrouting telecom' through all possible ports at a very high speed (several ports per second). I attached a screenshot for clarification. When I close my browser (Firefox), the traffic stops.

Is this something I need to worry about? What is causing this? Is the website I am trying to visit hacked or something?

Thank you!
Attachments:
open | download - pb screenshot.jpg (114.2 KB)
Re: Netrouting Telecom rapid traffic on all ports with torrentz.com
June 12, 2011 12:18PM
Heya lazershark.

According to iblocklist's search service (link: [www.iblocklist.com]), the IP addresses for netrouting telecom is defined in Bluetack's level 1 list. Possible explanation is that torrentz-site has a lot of content originating from this address.

To the rest of your questions, I'm afraid I am not able to give you a definite answer. It's something you have to use your best judgement to trust the site or not. I personally have no idea about the workings of torrentz-site so I am unable to give my view on it.
June 13, 2011 06:19AM
Okay thanks for your answer!

I think I'm going to stop using that site then. It seems a little fishy to me... It doesn't make sense that this website would require me to make a connection to this 'netrouting telecom'.

Cheers!
June 13, 2011 03:12PM
Hey Lazer,

torrentz is fine

you think that's rapid, when i'm torrenting it can be nuts

i'm not a tech, so i can't give you that side of it, my reply is just an interim til someone smarter comes along.

just trying to let you know torrentz is completely safe - if you've used it, you know yourself they have no content, they only index torrent sites.

That's not to say the content on those torrent sites is safe, that's for you to determine, but you won't get any nasties from browsing Tz.

i see netrouting telecom for a lot of sites, & as you observe peerblock, you will notice common ones pop up, which will differ depending on your location

as far as i can tell, netrouting telecom is 1 of many..... i don't know the terms, someone help me out
like they sell or lease bandwidth to sites with a lot of traffic

you'll probably drop Tz for a while, but it's too useful.
much safer than eg btmon (tho if ya know how to spot a fake (or virus) then it doesn't matter)
Tz indexes less sites, but i find the ones it does index are a lot quicker at removing viruses etc

so you may have no reason to trust me, but i got nothing to gain from helping you, just trying to save you the time you'll spend away from Tz, coz you'll be back anyway we both know it :p

if you're using large or many block lists, you'll make your life easier by permanently allowing the blue (in my peerblock window anyway) http ranges that are blocked when you access sites you trust

i've found i've had to do that for many rapidshare type sites

but look at it this way, whatever the hell was happening, it's not as if by blocking Tz now, you'll have prevented that 1 last connection they needed to infect your computer :p
whatever is done is done

maybe not reassuring, but i say again

Tz is safe

(& that's my good deed for the day!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 03:51PM by howboutthis1.

June 15, 2011 09:02AM
Netrouting Telecom has hosted a lot of spammers and anti-P2P activity.
It is now blocked by default because it's far easier to put a few exceptions
in rather than block all the problems.

This also protects from new threats before they can do any damage.

I poked a hole for Torrentz and added them to the Master Exclusions list.

If you see any good sites in a big block post them in the Allow Lists forum
or in the Invalid IP Blocks Support forum at Bluetack and I'll take care of it. ;]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2011 09:03AM by Aaron.Walkhouse.
June 15, 2011 10:04AM
Aaron, that link of yours leads to an error page saying "Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken."

June 15, 2011 10:59AM
Not from here. The only way I can reproduce that is if I try to use
the IP address instead of the domain name in the URL.

Check your HOSTS file to see if bluetack.co.uk and www.bluetack.co.uk both point to 74.53.185.60.
June 15, 2011 11:05AM
My HOSTS file doesn't include anything related to Bluetack. Weird that it's only happening to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2011 11:06AM by Keefa.

June 16, 2011 01:28AM
Maybe you have a firewall or plugin that blocks the HTTP referer header.
The server is a shared one on ThePlanet so it needs referer or to see
your URL to know which site you are trying to use.
June 22, 2011 11:16AM
Thank you for the responses howboutthis1 and Aaron!

You made me understand the situation a little better. So Netrouting Telecom might just be a big company providing hosting to some sites, but has been known to be involved with anti-p2p activities as well..

I added the Bluetack 'exclusions' list to peerblock as an allow list.

Cheers
lazershark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> I have been using Peerblock for a while, but I had
> always had it set to 'allow http'.
> I was experimenting today with 'block http' turned
> on, and I noticed that it was impossible for me to
> access the torrent search engine torrentz.com.
>
> When I looked at the peerblock log, I noticed that
> my computer was trying to access an IP called
> 'Netrouting telecom' through all possible ports at
> a very high speed (several ports per second). I
> attached a screenshot for clarification. When I
> close my browser (Firefox), the traffic stops.
>
> Is this something I need to worry about? What is
> causing this? Is the website I am trying to visit
> hacked or something?
>
> Thank you!

I have this going on and I am new I read this and see no solution or explanation here for why or what this is?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 9 on March 02, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012