Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will Not Restart - Why?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Will Not Restart - Why?
June 26, 2011 07:07AM
Peerblock installs and runs great. When I restart my computer I cannot get it to open and run again. I checked the box at installation that said "run at start up" but it doesnt and I cannot get it to run now. If I delete and reinstall it will run but I dont want to do that every time I turn on my computer. Any ideas?
Re: Will Not Restart - Why?
June 26, 2011 07:39AM
If your on Win7 and possibly Vista, it can't run at startup since it requires admin privileges. See this issue: [code.google.com]

If that's not your problem, could you provide more information and you peerblock.log file inside the PeerBlock folder.
Anonymous User
June 26, 2011 09:39AM
First, thank you for the quick reply. OK, you need to be an administrator but when I right click on the application and hit Run as Administrator the same thing happens, a dialog box opens asking me if its ok for Peerblock to make changes. I hit yes, it appears something is happening and then nothing.

I don't know how to get you the file you want. If you tell me I'll get it for you.

aaron
Anonymous User
June 26, 2011 09:39AM
BTW, I am running Windows 7
Anonymous User
June 26, 2011 09:43AM
I found where I think you want me to find this file but nothing is called peerblock.log file..there's a file called History..is that what you want?
June 26, 2011 10:18AM
Seems like you don't have show extensions enabled.

The peerblock.log will look like it's a text document and it's openable in notepad
Anonymous User
June 26, 2011 10:20AM
btw i also went through the process of creating a Task in task scheduler and that didnt solve the problem either.
Anonymous User
June 26, 2011 10:22AM
I think this is what you want.

aaron
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (82.7 KB)
June 26, 2011 12:07PM
Do you have any antivirus or other security software running?

If you do, can you white list PeerBlock and see if the errors still occur.
Anonymous User
June 26, 2011 01:14PM
I do, Panda Security. But I tried Peerblock a few times with Panda disengaged and that didnt matter. As for the Whitelist its asking for the IP and MAC address. Do I know those for Peerblock?

Did you learn anything from that file I sent you?

Thanks as always,

Aaron
Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 12:24PM
If you are running 64bit Win 7 there is an issue with drivers if they are not signed correctly, hmmm

Try this
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127187.html

I got there from reading this,
http://forums.peerblock.com/read.php?3,10017
Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 12:55PM
Very kind of you to send that. But there's not a chance on earth I could actually do what it says in that post. It's just too technical for me. Also I'd be afraid of screwing something up on my computer. You have such an incredibly good product. What can't it launch like every other application? Anyway, thank you for taking all this time with me.

aaron
Anonymous User
June 30, 2011 09:56AM
Its not the product, for some reason 64bit Windows will not allow unsigned drivers to run, so you have to sign it.
Anonymous User
June 30, 2011 06:35PM
of course its the product. is there something extraordinary about the other 20 applications that open just fine on Start Up? No. You need to revise the code to make it compliant with Windows 7 64 bit. Everyone else seems to manage that. It's such a great product. Why not just fix this incompatibility?
June 30, 2011 07:42PM
I think this issue can be solved by doing this - [www.peerblock.com]

MrScabby2

If you are running 64bit Win 7 there is an issue with drivers if they are not signed correctly, hmmm

There is nothing wrong with the way PeerBlock/PeerBlock driver (pbfilter.sys) are signed. If it was unsigned/not signed correctly, you would get an error message like in this image:

MrScabby2

Its not the product, for some reason 64bit Windows will not allow unsigned drivers to run, so you have to sign it.

[msdn.microsoft.com]

Basically, its more of an "security" feature. Cost like $200+ USD a year to have a driver signing certificate.

nyc1711

of course its the product. is there something extraordinary about the other 20 applications that open just fine on Start Up? No. You need to revise the code to make it compliant with Windows 7 64 bit. Everyone else seems to manage that. It's such a great product. Why not just fix this incompatibility?

I'm guessing the other 20 apps start up so easily since they do not get stopped by "UAC", since they don't do anything at the kernel level like PeerBlock does.

There are plans to turn PeerBlock into a service. - [code.google.com]
As a work around, you could try this - [forums.peerblock.com]

You need to revise the code to make it compliant with Windows 7 64 bit.

Please understand that PeerBlock is programmed by all volunteers, they have jobs, so it's worked on PeerBlock in their spare time.

Edit: corrected typo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 08:18PM by ineedalifetoday.
Anonymous User
June 30, 2011 07:59PM
If you think I offended you, I apologize. I know youre a volunteer. I just don't understand why they can't alter their programming to comply. But what do I know? The work around you suggest is just too complicated for someone like me to do, as I said previously. No way I could manage that. In anther year or so most people accessing Peerblock will have Windows 7. This workaround as a permanent answer to the problem is untenable. But again, what do I know? Thanks for all your help. I really would have liked to use this program. When it worked for 24 hours i could tell it was awesome.

aaron
July 01, 2011 12:43AM
nyc1711 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peerblock installs and runs great. When I restart
> my computer I cannot get it to open and run again.
> I checked the box at installation that said "run
> at start up" but it doesnt and I cannot get it to
> run now. If I delete and reinstall it will run
> but I dont want to do that every time I turn on my
> computer. Any ideas?

every time you re-install do you select the "start on start-up" box? if so try re-installing without using that feature and just manually start PB every time you start your machine (you could disconnect/disable internet til you have the chance to get PB up and running), i do and it can be a pain but if it works then thats all that matters right? winking smiley

hope this helps, good luck.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
July 02, 2011 01:15PM
That's a great solution and I would not have minded starting manually. Unfortunately that didnt work. Same thing happens. But it see how you thought this would have worked. Thanks again.
Anonymous User
November 09, 2011 06:56PM
You need to use Task Scheduler in order to have PeerBlock start at startup. Windows Vista and Windows 7 has UAC that prevents PeerBlock from loading at startup. The following video will give you step by step instruction on how to do this.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login