Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Win7 PB 1.1 Windows Services Not Running (PB will not start)

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Re: Win7 PB 1.1 Windows Services Not Running (PB will not start)
December 15, 2011 09:17PM
Well its not a solution, but it's my resolution. As far as windows defender goes... who cares? I never used that anyway. I've got better programs for spyware and malware than that. Then for the windows firewall... I searched spent a few hours looking for a fix and finally decided that there are plenty of other firewalls out there that work just as good or better than the windows firewall. Not to mention I have a router with a firewall. I ended up downloading comodo firewall, it had good reviews. If anyone does find a fix for the services I would be interested, but at this point I could care less about spending hours trying to find one. I appear to be stable, not getting any errors, everything functions... so I'm happy. If anyone finds other services are missing, please post.
Anonymous User
December 15, 2011 10:12PM
Not a solution, but rather a resolution. As far as windows defender goes, I could careless if its gone. Never used it, and have better programs for spyware/malware than that. Windows firewall... I have a firewall in my router, but having one on the pc gives me a cozy feeling. I looked around for a fix for a few hours and finally decided... there are plenty of free firewalls out there that are equal to or better than windows firewall. I finally landed on comodo. It had some good reviews and features. Gotta do the customize installation to avoid the defense+ (comodo's antivirus) being installed. Overall... no errors, no virus, everythings stable so I'm happy. If there is a fix or if other services are found missing, please post.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 12:06AM
Haha just relized my post landed on the next page. I thought it didn't post the first time.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 02:57PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help! Glad to know that I wasn't the only one suffering with this exact same issue.
After downloading and registering the file, and after running the AIO windows fixer, peerblock now works fine.....
But now there's another issue.

My PS3 will no longer connect to my windows 7 media server. I believe that whatever was done with the windows repair tool, this somehow funxed something up, and now either my laptop is no longer sharing the media, or my PS3 can't find the server, which makes NO sense because they're both connected via wired connections.

Is anyone else having this issue? Or better yet, anyone by chance know the reason as to why this is happening and possibly a solution? It's wonderful that peerblock is now working, but equally bad that my comp is no longer connecting to the PS3. God this sucks.....
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 03:33PM
Hmm that sucks Kharv. I noticed the last item in the repair list is set windows services to default startup. Other than that the AIO repair doesn't change any of your windows settings. Probably already did it, but did you try going through the media server setup again? Maybe the service just needs to be added to the startup.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 03:45PM
Oh and Kharv you might post your issue in tweaking.com's forum. If the AIO repair did effect your media server, the admin there will help you out.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 03:49PM
Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried in Windows Media Player to set up the media to share, but it was still already set up, nothing had changed.

So now I'm looking through services to try and determine the right one that should be set up. The only one that seems to stand out to me as needing to be running is "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", but that's already running with no issues. Not sure which services need to be running to ensure that my media sharing should work with my PS3.

lol I'm just running out of options. Since this stupid virus hit, if it's not ONE problem.....it's another. As soon as one gets fixed, something else messes up. If I can get my PS3 connected to my laptop and STILL be able to use peerblock, I'd be a happy camper lol.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 03:51PM
Yea, I'll probably try posting there as well. I'm going to give it a little bit of time, perhaps it will fix itself. I've had similar issues like this before, where suddenly and for no apparent reason, my computer wouldn't show up on my list of media servers on my PS3. This would last for only a little bit though, and somehow seem to fix itself. I'm hoping that this is the case in this situation, but so far it's not looking promising, nothing I've tried has seemed to fix it. Grrrrrr lol
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 04:39PM
Ha I know what you mean about one thing after another. I still fell like I'm walking on thin ice, wondering if another service is going to come up missing. If it does I'm probably going to go ahead with a restore. The time I've spent messing around with this is easily more than what it would have been to restore everything. I just really hate doin it, I feel defeated like the virus got the best of me. I'm afraid I don't know anything about media server, never used it. Good luck.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 06:26PM
Ok, I think I might have figured out the problem, but unfortunately, not the solution....

There are other windows services that are no longer working (you might want to check if they're working on yours opeacemakero), and these services need to be working in order to enable "Network discovery" on your computer.

These services that network discovery are dependent on that will not start on my computer are these:
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Computer Browser

These are set to automatically start, but have not and will not start. There are other services set to start automatically, but will not start when I try to start them (I don't believe that these are related to network discovery).

I believe that the most important one to start that will not start is the Internet Connection Sharing service. Anyone know a way to reinstall this service or repair it? I'm definitely not the only guy that uses media server to share through PS3, and if they got bit by this bug as well, it has to be fixed, lol, otherwise there's going to be a lot of pissed off people out there.

Freaking virus' wasting my damn time.....pissin me off as it is
Anonymous User
December 16, 2011 11:34PM
Thanks for the heads up Kharv. Yup I'm missing computer browser. I get error 1060 does not exist as an installed service when I try to start it. I do still have internet connection sharing though. I have a post here: [forums.techguy.org]
If I can get one of their techs to respond to me, they should be able to take a look at my registry and see what all is missing and help me correct them. That is if they can be corrected. Tomorrow when I get my friends computer again, I'll try bringing over the reg file like before. After that failing with windows firewall and defender, I'm not holding my breath. Right now things seem fine as far as the system goes, but if I don't get a response from techguy in a weeks time or the pc starts giving me issues... I'm gonna declare defeat and do the restore. If I get a fix from them, I'll post here.
Anonymous User
December 17, 2011 12:35AM
So I found a diagnostic tool calld DDS, it just gives a report of basic info. Here's its list of services that aren't working on my computer.

12/16/2011 8:48:39 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7023] - The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
12/16/2011 8:37:12 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7024] - The HomeGroup Listener service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147023143.
12/16/2011 8:37:05 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The UPnP Device Host service depends on the SSDP Discovery service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
12/16/2011 8:37:05 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service [14332] - Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPDeviceFinder) encountered error '0x80070422'. Verify that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component of Windows is installed properly.
12/16/2011 8:37:01 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}
12/16/2011 8:36:21 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7003] - The Net.Pipe Listener Adapter service depends the following service: was. This service might not be installed.
12/16/2011 8:36:21 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7003] - The Net.Msmq Listener Adapter service depends the following service: msmq. This service might not be installed.
12/16/2011 8:36:21 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Net.Tcp Listener Adapter service depends on the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
Anonymous User
December 17, 2011 08:08PM
Hey, where does one get the AIO windows fixer? I googled it but not sure if i'm coming across the same one as yours. Thanks..

edit: found it: [www.tweaking.com]

Any luck guys?

Kharv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys, thanks for the help! Glad to know that I
> wasn't the only one suffering with this exact same
> issue.
> After downloading and registering the file, and
> after running the AIO windows fixer, peerblock now
> works fine.....
> But now there's another issue.
>
> My PS3 will no longer connect to my windows 7
> media server. I believe that whatever was done
> with the windows repair tool, this somehow funxed
> something up, and now either my laptop is no
> longer sharing the media, or my PS3 can't find the
> server, which makes NO sense because they're both
> connected via wired connections.
>
> Is anyone else having this issue? Or better yet,
> anyone by chance know the reason as to why this is
> happening and possibly a solution? It's wonderful
> that peerblock is now working, but equally bad
> that my comp is no longer connecting to the PS3.
> God this sucks.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 08:48PM by perfektgreen.
Anonymous User
December 19, 2011 12:13AM
PHEEEEEEEEEEW......lol

While trying to figure out a solution, I downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. After running for about 3 hours, it found several infections/malicious stuff. After rebooting after MSE removed the infected files.....Windows would no longer load. Startup Repair opened up after startup load screen.....and could not find a solution.

I ended up having to completely reinstall Windows completely (fortunately, not having to delete my unbacked up data).

I'm really glad I took your advice opeacemakero and posted on the tweaking forums for help. I started off just asking for help in restoring my services, but then after the computer completely crashed, I was able to set up my backup computer (a dinosaur to say the least), and the actual programmer of the tweaking windows AIO tool basically walked me step-by-step into restoring my computer. He seriously came through, selflessly willing his time and expertise in helping me, someone he doesn't even know and is under no obligation whatsoever to help, saved my computer.

This virus totally bombed my computer bad, and I'd advise anyone who had it to just reinstall windows. I believe it's the actual removal of the virus that severely damages the services. Best way to fix them is to just start over with a clean version of Windows. Got to keep all of my photos, data, and everything except for installed programs, which really isn't too big of a hassle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 12:14AM by Kharv.
Anonymous User
December 19, 2011 07:15AM
I will have to reinstall windows as well. You could of however booted into safe mode to save all of your important data first. It wouldn't let me boot into normal windows as well. I also tried almost every trick on the Hiren's boot CD. Good luck guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 07:20AM by gunderss.
Anonymous User
December 19, 2011 11:42AM
Yea, I couldn't even boot into safe mode, nothing would work. Neither did "Last Known Working Configuration". Only option was to reinstall.

Good luck with the reinstall

gunderss Wrote:
> I will have to reinstall windows as well. You
> could of however booted into safe mode to save all
> of your important data first. It wouldn't let me
> boot into normal windows as well. I also tried
> almost every trick on the Hiren's boot CD. Good
> luck guys.
Anonymous User
December 19, 2011 06:21PM
Hello

First i would like to thank all the previous posters, especially Opeacemakero, for helping me with this stupid virus. I was in the exact same boat,, same stupid Vista/win7 antivirus 2012 popup crap,,,, i followed some online thing on getting rid of it. Once i did that again like Opeacemakero i found out my peerguardian/peerblock would not work due to missing the same services.

I followed Opeacemakeros advice, first copying across the BFE.reg file from my other unaffected machine, and then using tweaking.com tool,, the first time i ran the tweaking.com tool it didnt work correctly, it whipped through the fixes in about 2mins,,, and when i rebooted i had the same problem.. I ran it again, this time i did a few of the previous steps in the program, and this time on the final step it took about 20mins,, and bang, when i rebooted peerguardian/peerblock was working fantastic...

Then as i read on, i found out just like Opeacemakero, my Vista security center is totally messed up,, and windows firewall is non exsistant,, it wont work at all. I fixed these problems by simply finding the files that were missing in my registry, and like before copying across from my other machine. This fixed my windows security, and windows firewall is back to normal.

below is the location of MpsSvc which i replaced and it fixed alot of my problems:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc

I never needed to bother with replacing the .dll version of this file within system32. Just the registry is missing.

I worked on this crap the whole day trying different stuff out,, i replaced a few other files, but that was the main one that sorted it, if you still have other problems then i will go into more detail of what i replaced. for example i also replaced:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess

But i dont think that was my problem. It came down to looking at what services were running on my one machine and comparing it to the other working machine. And then finding what .reg file it was linked to, and replaceing it. No need for any wiping the machine none of that.
Anonymous User
December 20, 2011 11:59PM
@spacealien

Yes please I would like a list. I tried copying the sharedaccess folder from a different computer, but it didn't work for me when I was trying to get the firewall going. I never did try again from a win 7 64, or for any other services. Did you get computer browser going, or any others in that list I posted earlier? Was it the same process for each, export the reg, copy it to the bad computer and run, then run AIO tool? Haven't heard from this techguyforum yet, and I'm starting to see other issues. I'm on the verge of a restore. Man I hope you comeback and post those registry keys. I can only imagine the time it must have taken to go through each service and track down the registry folder for each service needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 07:03PM by opeacemakero.
Anonymous User
December 23, 2011 02:52PM
Well I got impatient and started to bring the registry items over from my friends computer. After bringing the two spacealien listed, I had almost everything working. The services that still weren't working were security center, windows defender, and a couple net.adapter services. I looked around for awhile and couldn't find the registry keys for them. I decided to export the working computers entire services list. I figured I could go through and remove the services that weren't for my computer or my registy cleaner would do it for me.... Here is were I began making mistakes that lead to me having to do a reinstall. 1. Always make a backup of your registry files before you go messing with them. 2. I still can't believe I did this... instead of taking the services folder, I took the entire hkey local machine folder. After running that my custom build desktop thought it was a toshiba laptop. I did make a restore point beforehand, but doing that screwd the restore functions. Had I had a back up of the registry I was replacing I would have been fine. So I had to do a reinstall. Once everything was backup and running, with the basics, I exported a copy of the services in the registry and exported a copy of the hkey local machine folder.... should something like this happen again, I'll have it fixed in 5 min.
Anonymous User
December 26, 2011 10:58AM
Hello,
first of all - thanks a lot for this topic and discussion. It really helped me get my PB and net related services up and running again.
I also managed to get my Windows Firewall and Defender to work. Attaching .reg files that did the job (actually, after removing the virus, I did nothing else but running .reg files: for BFE, firewall and defender).

Regards,
Michal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2011 11:57AM by mgrabow.
Attachments:
open | download - firewall.reg (89.9 KB)
open | download - defender.reg (3.3 KB)
open | download - bfe.reg (235.7 KB)
fxm
December 26, 2011 11:43AM
mgrabow Wrote:

> after removing the virus, I
> did nothing else but running .reg files: for BFE,
> firewall and defender

For the next poor sod who runs into this problem, could you please attach all three reg files to one post and - if necessary - indicate the Windows version(s) to which they apply.
Anonymous User
December 26, 2011 12:00PM
fxm Wrote:
> For the next poor sod who runs into this problem,
> could you please attach all three reg files to one
> post and - if necessary - indicate the Windows
> version(s) to which they apply.

Sure, no problem smiling smiley Third file is attached to my previous post. I didn't attach it before, because it is just the same file that was posted in this thread two weeks ago.
My version is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (i know that bfe file is for Pro version, but it seems to be working fine).

Regards,
Michal
To everyone on this forum topic, my PC too fell victim to that nasty trojan that got flushed out by MS Security Essentials, in the process subsequently compromising these Win7 services:

Base Filtering Engine
IPsec Policy Agents
IKE and AuthIpsec Keyring Module

Both my Peerblock and Firewall stopped working. Researched and found this forum via Google, and boom!

First of all, everything now works 100%! THANK YOU to opeacemakero and mgrabow for your incredibly helpful posts. You guys rock!
The other BIG shout out is to that genius programmer Shane at Tweaking.com for his brilliant AIO repair tool. Awesome!

Folks just follow these repair/restore steps from these guys and everything will be golden again hopefully.

FYI, I am running Windows 7 Home 64 bit, I used the BFE and Firewall .reg files posted by mgrabow, and I confirm that everything is rock stable after the AIO fix. (Tip: keep those .reg files handy and stored somewhere if you get in pinch again with a virus attack screwing up Win services)

Cheers!
I am having the same problem (Base Filtering, IKE and IPsec) as ever body here, but only it is on Windows Vista. These registries appear to be missing. Is there anyway to just download these missing registries without having to re-install Vista (unfortunately I never made a recovery disc, not very computer savvy).

I had the same Windows 2012 Security virus that others had. Got rid of that no problem, but like others the Windows Firewall and Defender no longer work.
fxm
January 12, 2012 07:04AM
Rod R Wrote:

> any way to just download these

Umm, did you read [forums.peerblock.com]?

WARNINGS: be very careful to make sure that those entries are appropriate for your version of Windows,and your folder names, plus - as always - back up the registry before making any changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 07:09AM by fxm.
Yes. Thanks. I did see that, but I am under the impression those are for 7 and not Vista. I did try to search for a thread about Vista but didn't find one.
you poor poor people, i had this virus and found this thread, so sad! u guys need to get Norton Ghost ASAP and do nightly incremental backups of C:\. It took me 20 mins to solve this, never mind reinstalling windows or spending hours, yikes! Kick back, wait 15-20 mins for restore, and thats that!
Cheers!
Anonymous User
February 17, 2012 07:07PM
Hi everyone. Arrived at this site to read the above.

I might be wrong but the problem may be more widespread.
I tried to share some folders across my network and the system says I can't share that folder.
I have the same problems as above and win firewall does not allow me access to set it.

Does anyone know why this problem has suddenly occured.
Is it Peerblock, Windows, or something else?
I am running Windows 7 64 bit. Is it restricted to 64 bit or does it occur in 32 bit.
February 27, 2012 04:03AM
So, just to make sure I got this right:
You get infected, notice that the virus has severely messed with your system, but nevertheless you just carry on and try to run stuff on your compromised system, is that about right?

Your friends and everyone you share files with must be really grateful. smiling smiley

All that helps after an infection is a clean start and getting all the possible security updates via Windows Update...
That, and regular backups on separate HDDs...

Anything else is just wasting everyone's time while spreading the infection, because you can be sure that no scanner will find everything. Then again, this is the PeerBlock forum. Your computer habits are neither our responsibility nor our busniness:
[www.cracked.com]

First you double-check that you have no spare tyre for your car, then you shoot all 4 tyres flat and then you go to your radio manufacturer to complain that you can't drive properly anymore, asking for help and accusing them: "But this gotta be working! It's the radio's fault! No, I don't need a spare, I just wanna drive on with my flats! It can olny be the radio's fault!"
Thing is, radio's just fine. Your habit need an upgrade.

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 04:21AM by Dr. Feelgood.
March 06, 2012 04:01AM
I am running windows 7 32bit and PB does nto start automatically. I ahve to manually start the program every time. fortunately there is not a lot to block with Win7 as there was with XP and Vista.

I put the IKE on automatic for now I will need to reboot to see if it will start automatically.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login