Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why am I losing way too much broadband with peerblock

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Why am I losing way too much broadband with peerblock
June 07, 2012 04:47AM
Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I was advised by a fellow member on a forum to get Peer Block. As I have a Network app that shows my upload and download speeds, Im at a loss how that whilst I am download just 2 torrents and getting only about 55kb download speed out of a whopping incoming 675kb a second! I only just got supersonic speed broadband - up to 100 megabits a second line, and initially was downloading up to 6-8meg a second (40-50 Mbits a second or something like that), but several days later im checking my usage and i have lost 50GB somewhere and the meter has never been wrong, so Im assuming Peerblock lets the data come in, but not into the u torrent, and just blocks it, so it is wasted data - and TONS of it!!!! Not happy.

So, is the way Peerblock is working, does it eat up broadband whilst it blocks as im getting less than one tenth of the incoming data and peerblock rejects 90% of it? As soon as I turn peerblock off, along with utorrent, it stops and its all back to "normal".

I know im not going crazy, but would appreciate a confirmation what is actually transpiring.

Many thanks in advance.
Re: Why am I losing way too much broadband with peerblock
June 07, 2012 05:14AM
Your blocklists would most likely be causing this.
June 07, 2012 12:00PM
what blocklists are you using?

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
June 07, 2012 03:57PM
Hi Brandon and thanks for the reply. Im simply using the default list as I know no better. Ive just checked my usage and im closer to have wasted 100gig now with this filter on and that was my whole months data allowance until i just upgraded and my speeds are killing me (lack of speed I should say)

Welcome any assistance in getting a better list I assume?
June 08, 2012 01:42AM
its been awhile since ive torrented (over 6 months) but my bandwidth never changed whilst using PB, yes PB did slow SOME downloading torrents down but thats a good thing, that means that some of the ip's connecting to you were on one of your block lists.

are you saying that you speculate PB is shrinking your actual bandwidth or that its just slowing down your downloads?

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
June 08, 2012 02:25AM
What Im saying is what yes, surely it is slowing my downloads incredibly, but also in saying that, im assuming that because my network meter is stating that I have downloaded say 200gb to date and then I go on my isp provider site and check my usage and its say ive used I said in my 1st post, I have used 250gb, so im specualting that PB by stopping blocked isp's is using broadband data of which I never get to see as explained with the incredible "waste" of about 100gb in merely 7 days.

Im not accusing PB to be bad straight up, as Im just trying to get used to it and be aware of what it does to my broadband usage, as well as realising that it dramitically slows my downloads down. The default list I use is the P2P that comes with PB.

I have done some research and maybe the IPX filter list (even though I have to pay for it) may seem a worthwhile investment if the list is more thorough?

Thanks for all your prompt replies to date Brandon.
Anonymous User
June 08, 2012 02:40AM
Brandon - also to my last post... here is a typical example as I said in my original post. My nework meter is showing that I am uploading at 232kb/sec and im only uploading 28kb/sec, and as for downloads , incoming is 225kb/sec and only 25kb/sec is being received ..... as per utorrent downlaod bar info. Of course the sppeds I mentioned in my 1st post were far more dramtic, but yet actual, examples of broadband "wastage" that I still cant understand how so much is wasted as 80gb is the actual figure that has gone missing over a mere 7 days. Taking into effect using wifi for iphone or ipad , that doesnt register on my computer network usage (obviously), it doesnt use that much in 7 days, and thats some incredible waste.
June 08, 2012 10:25AM
for one if you have a "cap" on internet usage each month i would change isp's (only an opinion). have you thought of using VPN's?

i know there is some wasted bandwidth from all the ip's PB blocks whilst downloading but thats to be expected, how much depends on your lists being used.

exactly which lists do you use, you use more than the default 4 and "ipx" filter list? are you using the "LAN" list or bogon list?

losing 1/5 of your data over a week could be a trojan/virus calling out making outbound connections uploading/downloading info on your computer, is your computer clean? what scans have you done? how is utorrent configured? have you asked this question at utorrents' forums?

you could try a little "trial and error" to see if one of your lists is the culprit, first deselect one list under list manager tab in PB, use utorrent and see if the problem persists, do that to each of your lists one at a time and see if you can narrow this problem you are having down.

is it possible assuming your downloading some illegal files that your isp might be tracking you clogging down your bandwidth?

im grasping at straws here with the knowledge before me, i could easily maintain on average 500-800kbs and peak around 1.5megs using utorrent with my lists, im speculating its either a list or a perhaps your configurations.

if none of this helps and no one has been able to help you try going to utorrents forums to see if anyone has ever had this problem, good luck.

Anonymous User
June 08, 2012 06:54PM
Hi Brandon,

My computer is free of all viruses and trojans. I have been building computers for the last 35 years and mine is state of the art I7, Win 7 64 bit etc etc and im very advanced in computer knowledge - except for networking and ip's.

My configurations in utorrent are precise, and as mentioned several times in my posts, im using ONLY the p2p default list from PB not the other 3. I would hate to think how bad it would be if I was using all 4 lists! I was only contemplating using say ipx filter list and paying for it.

Judging by what you are saying- as I always thought, YES there is wastage, and YES it is the list I use - which is the default p2p list from PB automatically downloaded which is obviously blocking the hell out of my broadband. There is no other issue at all as Im even able to download at times 6-8meg a second and yet with 1 particular torrent it is so healthy with so much available and all I can manage is a mere 30k a second, which is pathetic and frustrating, and no doubt due to the defualt p2p list from PB. (cant complain as its free). Im also aware that torrent speed depends on seeders etc and amount available. Ive been there, done that, etc etc.This is why there are massive differences in speed with PB on and PB off and its a minefield to understand who to allow off the blocked list of P2P, no matter who you get a list from.

I didnt have to ask the question at utorrent forums, (been there anyway) as I never had this wasted problem until I installed Peerblock, hence why I came here to ask. Before Peerblock, speeds have been up to 60-75Mbits a second and thats FAST.

So , thanks for your last post, to confirm there is wastage and it does depend on the list used, so looks like ill pay for ipx filter list and use that in PB and see how I go as its not like its a huge outlay and worth a try.

kindest regards
June 08, 2012 07:23PM
with such a huge disparity it's possible that alot of the seeders you would normally connect too are being blocked since they reside in your only one list p2p for good reason i.e. anti-p2p companies. if PB wasn't blocking them even though they are in the list then they are free to track whatever you are downloading and since you have that one only list i'm assuming you are downloading copyright materials which means you will get a lot of blocks since they are usually heavily monitored.

quick question tho, do you see this speed slow down whilst downloading legal files non-copyright files? is PB blocking ip's when you are downloading legal files? if you say have firefox as a web browser do those files you download from sites using firefoxs downloader and not utorrents go slow too? PB will block ip's no matter what downloading program you use be it utorrent or a web browsers'.

have you uninstalled and reinstalled? what version of PB are you running?

i ask these questions because PB doesn't really control your bandwidth, it's an ip blocking program only, it monitors your internet connection and blocks all ip's that fall into any of your lists. PB should be fine, if your list the p2p is causing this much disruption then you must be downloading 50 files at the same time. are you blocking 100's of ips per second?

i honestly with my experience with both PB and utorrent believe you are having a utorrent and/or network problem, it could be your one list but i dont see that being the case, it cant be PB for the simple fact mentioned above, i could be wrong but im leading towards mentioned above as far as my two cents.

sorry i couldnt be of more help, maybe someone else here may have something to say, otherwise good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 07:25PM by brandonjm8.
Anonymous User
June 09, 2012 12:07AM
Brandon, you have been of help and I appreciate it thank you.

I dont use PB when Im just surfing the net, and havent tried streaming from my isp yet - free movies each month, to see if there is a difference.

Im only d/l 1file at present and I rarely have the need to do 10, let alone 50. I also have the latest version of PB. I only see PB blocking one or 2 different ip addresses every couple of seconds, and/or around every 8-10 seconds.

The only thing ive managed to do a few days ago was download Utorrent IP filter updater, and now have a file that Utorrent uses now in Users/App data etc etc with a 14 meg ipfilter.dat file. I never even knew there was such a file, until I got PB then starting doing google searches and come across that. So, essentially, utorrent is using this dat file and PB runs and is using PB's p2p file in unison and to tell you the truth I havent seen any difference - its all still slow BUT ONLY in the last few days. I only had speed problems ever since PB was installed

Out of curiosity, do you change Utorrent's advanced settings to false to use its ipfilter, and just let PB run with the selected filter you want to use - e.g. p2p list?, so do I delete utorrent's dat file and just use PB and its file?

Im going to try it again, but I saw no slow down greater than before.

thanks again.
June 10, 2012 10:54AM
your welcome for the help, wish i knew more but i have some experience with this and i try to help.

now your entering an area i know nothing of, sorry. but i do know having two separate montoring programs could slow down your connection. is PB blocking most of your seeders/trackers? try deleting the dat file from utorrent and only use PB, does the blocks increase after this? are the same companies being blocked as before when you had the dat file? at the same frequency as before?

try this, goto iblocklist.com and add the "primary threats" list (its a good list to have as per its description blocks alot of ip's you dont want connecting to you) to PB, then deselect the p2p list under list manager in PB and see if you still experience the same slow down. basically you're swapping the p2p list for the "primary threats" list just to see if it's any list and PB that is slowing down your internet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login