Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My DLNA Devices will no longer communicate

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
My DLNA Devices will no longer communicate
January 07, 2014 11:33PM
None of my DLNA devices will communicate with my PC now that I have installed PeerBlock.
Here is what I have so far..... I disabled PeerBlock and confirmed that all device communicate properly. I then started to elminiate list by list and found the following lists affect DLNA communication...

Bogon and all of its variations
Edu
iana-reserved
iana-multicast

I then created an allow list of my LAN (Router IP Range) and added that to PeerBlock, but that did not work.

Why the allow list is not working for me? How can I get around this issue?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

fxm
Re: My DLNA Devices will no longer communicate
January 08, 2014 12:26AM
pcman2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Bogon and all of its variations

[forums.peerblock.com]
Anonymous User
January 08, 2014 04:44AM
I meant to say the 3 different Bogon lists. Bogon from Bluetack, Bogon from TBG, and the Bogon from cidr-report
fxm
January 08, 2014 06:27AM
pcman2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I meant to say the 3 different Bogon lists

Are you waiting for me to give you the same answer twice more?
January 08, 2014 08:10AM
What fxm is saying is that those lists in particular are really not made for computers on a LAN - they will cause problems such as what you're seeing with DLNA connections.  Essentially, the "IP Addresses" in such lists are actually netmasks, which are used to, say, broadcast packets across an entire [subset of] a network.  When PeerBlock notices packets matching the entry in your list, it dutifuly blocks them as you've instructed it to do.  Generally not what you want though.

We've talked in the past about popping up a warning message when we detect that a user is blocking these sorts of packets.  We just might do that going forward, as it can be fairly confusing at first.

Basically, unless you have a good reason - and really know what you're doing - my recommendation is always to not use those sorts of bogon/iana lists.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
January 08, 2014 03:55PM
Mark,

Thanks. You're explanation was very helpfull for someone like me that knows some but not a lot. I guess the part that got me confused (and I was hopping that it would work) was by adding the exception in the allow list I created, it would override those specific IP's in other lists.

Also in my mind..... the more lists I have, the more protected from the outside I can be.

I guess I will be removing those Bogon and iana lists as well as my allow list soon.

Thanks again
January 08, 2014 06:30PM
Allow lists do, in fact, override other lists. Still, using bogon will often lead to problems since it will block a lot of stuff you might well need and allowing every single IP you'll need one by one is hard and tedious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login