Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

List updating with no increase in blocked IP #'s for nearly a week

Posted by Anonymous User 
Hi all - I'm having a relatively strange problem. Over the last 5 or 6 days I've noticed that when I do a list update, the number of IP's being blocked does not change. It's not unusual for a day or so to pass with an update that doesn't change the IP blocked number, but not for as long as I've been watching it. I've got a paid sub with iBlocklist, so it updates sometimes a couple of times a day, downloading new lists for nearly everything, so I'm not sure if I should do a complete reinstall or something? There's no errors and no failed updating, just the unchanged IP blocked # (currently 2,318,486,939 blocked IP's).

Besides the default 4 lists that come with PB, I've got: dshield, level 1, level2, BT spyware, US Gov, Corp., Primary, and US, along with a couple of allowed lists.

I've attached the latest logfile in the event this helps.

Any suggestions would be welcome, as I'm stumped.

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (111.1 KB)
fxm
Re: List updating with no increase in blocked IP #'s for nearly a week
April 05, 2014 07:09PM
mizhop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Over the last 5 or 6 days I've noticed that when I
> do a list update, the number of IP's being blocked
> does not change.

Are you under the impression that the lists distributed by iblocklist change more than once per week?

Come to think of it - given the problems recently reported here - is there any evidence that the list that appears in the PB GUI as [x] P2P (which iblocklist describes as bluetack/level-1) is genuine, current and properly maintained?
April 05, 2014 09:23PM
some weeks are busy for list updates/changes, some weeks are slow and sometimes no "new" ip's had been added/taken out of lists. it's happened to me before where it seemed to take two weeks for the total ip blocked number to change, dont worry PB is working, just do the ping test, CMD prompt type "ping 3.0.0.0" and if it comes back as timed out or failed then PB is working.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
fxm wrote:
"Are you under the impression that the lists distributed by iblocklist change more than once per week?

Come to think of it - given the problems recently reported here - is there any evidence that the list that appears in the PB GUI as P2P (which iblocklist describes as bluetack/level-1) is genuine, current and properly maintained?"

To your first question: yes, some, I would imagine. To your second: I admit I was not aware that the P2P list is the same as the BT level 1 list, and I'm sure 99% of the people using any of these lists have no idea if they are genuine, current or properly maintained. I would LOVE to know how I could possibly find out.

brandonjm8 wrote:
"some weeks are busy for list updates/changes, some weeks are slow and sometimes no "new" ip's had been added/taken out of lists. it's happened to me before where it seemed to take two weeks for the total ip blocked number to change, dont worry PB is working, just do the ping test, CMD prompt type "ping 3.0.0.0" and if it comes back as timed out or failed then PB is working."

Thank you for your response, I was hoping it was not just me. I have this OCD compulsion to watch the IP #'s blocked every time I update to see how far it moves, and this was a new occurrence for me. It's possible that I may have missed a lag like the one I'm experiencing before, and not noticed, somehow.

I did do the ping test as you suggested and got "General failure" 4 times; packets sent:4, lost:4 and none received, so I guess all is well.

I did a search of the forum posts to see if this was a previously reported problem, but nothing came up. I'm sorta relieved that it's hopefully nothing. I'll give it more time.

Thanks again guys.
April 06, 2014 11:02AM
mizhop Wrote:

> To your first question: yes, some, I would
> imagine. To your second: I admit I was not aware
> that the P2P list is the same as the BT level 1
> list, and I'm sure 99% of the people using any of
> these lists have no idea if they are genuine,
> current or properly maintained. I would LOVE to
> know how I could possibly find out.

Contact fakhir at I-BlockList. He's the one in charge of the site and, thus, the default lists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 11:02AM by Keefa.
i cant get mine to connect for any updates, not iblock list, not PB update, not built in lists. how do you diagnose connection issues?
April 13, 2014 06:38AM
Firstly you should check your firewall. Make sure PeerBlock is allowed. The second step is sending your .log and .conf files from the PeerBlock folder.

Also, which firewall do you use? Could be an incompatibility between it and PeerBlock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 06:39AM by Keefa.
I've had this problem for a long time now, maybe 3-4 months. I pretty much do a manual update every 1-3 days and most of the time I check if the blocked IP number changes and it never does. Just figured it was ok since I'm still getting updates on the lists. I also have paid sub with iBlocklist.

Any help on this?
October 08, 2014 04:07PM
I have the same problem regarding the number not changing when updating, it must be updated still, as when trying to manually update, it comes back as up to date. Its happened for around 2 weeks now

Peerblock for the win
A couple of days ago I tried uninstalling Peerblock and deleted all my setting. Reinstalled the lates Peerblock version, updated all my lists and the blocked IP counter went up as expected, but after that first update the blocked IP counter has stayed the same.

Is there some kind of upper limit to the counter or what going on?
October 13, 2014 04:14PM
Just bumping to wonder if there is any fix for this? thanks.

Peerblock for the win
November 11, 2014 03:40PM
The number changed twice as normal a week ago and it hasnt changed again, anyone still having this problem? Ive got an iblocklist sub and I guess im still getting the newest lists but its not changing its weird.

Peerblock for the win
Still having the same problem.
November 17, 2014 01:23PM
I'm still having this issue. The IP address count hasn't changed in months. The lists are downloading and I know they are being processed because my laptop takes around ten seconds to apply the updates (fan reves up etc).

I've tried deleting all lists and reinstalling PeerBlock. This happens on both my PC and laptop.
August 27, 2015 08:10AM
I still have this issue. I assume everything is working and the blocking number has some other meaning?
August 31, 2015 07:48AM
Bluetack.co.uk website and project died , what updates you expect to get ?
August 31, 2015 01:36PM
What happened to bluetack? :O

Peerblock for the win
September 01, 2015 01:05AM
Peerblox Wrote:
> What happened to bluetack? :O

admin died few weeks ago, and his co-admin Netweasel now have lung cancer -.-

anyway I've contacted with Netweasel and asked him about if interested on put all the Bluetack IP filters in Github to continue working on it, but he don't answer, so I guess he is not interested anymore in the project or lost his motivations.

more info in the website cache: [webcache.googleusercontent.com]
September 01, 2015 10:57AM
Ah okay, that is quite a situation. Understandable.

Peerblock for the win
Just curious to know what Peerblock is going to do now? The default lists Peerblock uses comes from Bluetack.

Also, when will the next Peerblock version be released?
September 03, 2015 08:40AM
ROCKNROLLKID Wrote:
> Just curious to know what Peerblock is going to do
> now? The default lists Peerblock uses comes from
> Bluetack.
>
> Also, when will the next Peerblock version be
> released?

Me too. There is a market that could be filled there.

Peerblock for the win
September 05, 2015 11:19PM
ROCKNROLLKID Wrote:
> Just curious to know what Peerblock is going to do
> now? The default lists Peerblock uses comes from
> Bluetack.
>
> Also, when will the next Peerblock version be
> released?

imho PeerBlock should be moved to Github, then we can move all the current Bluetack IP lists and continue working on them there.
Moving the sourcecode to Github would be nice, although, I think the developer has abandon Peerblock, again. I think someone should make a from off Peerblock and continue the work from there.
September 15, 2015 03:41PM
We're trying to develop a Program with compatibility Mac and Linux , further to Windows.

Not sure when they will be released but the Linux Version is in advanced Alpha Stage .

[ipfilterx.com]
Has PeerGuardian gone silent, as well? Isn't PeerGuardian suppose to be the Linux and Mac version of Peerblock?

The project looks good. I wish you guys the best of luck.

It would be nice if they threw all the Bluetack lists on GitHub, so all of their hard work wasn't all for nothing. Would also be nice to see if they were ever hiding anything in their lists.
October 05, 2015 06:10PM
what are the options then?

i currently have subs to iBlocklist and i see ipfilterX at p2pblocklist.net - are they redundant?
are there any other options available? they should be built into the PeerBlock program much like HostsMan has done.

would be good if there was a sticky thread that outlined this stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login