Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Twofold question

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Twofold question
October 25, 2014 10:28AM
Hi all, new here and just want to thank everyone for their hard work.

I have 2 questions that I searched around for but couldn't find the answers...

Do I need to actively add the lists that are included in the List Manager or are they already "included" in the stock, out-of-the-box list.

Secondly what exactly is the purpose behind my computer's constant Bogon and IANA requests? From my understading of the bogon space is that they are unassigned IP addresses/ranges. Why does my system want to reach out to these IPs? What is it looking for? DNS purposes? The same question applies to the constant IANA activity.

Thank you very much!
Re: Twofold question
October 27, 2014 10:52AM
1. No lists are included in PeerBlock "as is". To use the four default lists, you'll need to check the box and then let PeerBlock download them from I-BlockList just like any other list. You do not need to add any of those four default lists in any other way.

2. This should give you some answers: [en.wikipedia.org] . Short answer, though, is that most people will find bogon and the IANA list more trouble than they're worth, really. If you do insist on keeping on using them, you can allow the IPs blocked when you run into problems such as your connection cutting off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 10:55AM by Keefa.
Anonymous User
October 29, 2014 09:21PM
Keefa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. No lists are included in PeerBlock "as is". To
> use the four default lists, you'll need to check
> the box and then let PeerBlock download them from
> I-BlockList just like any other list. You do not
> need to add any of those four default lists in any
> other way.
>
> 2. This should give you some answers:
> [en.wikipedia.org]
> #Reserved_IPv4_addresses . Short answer, though,
> is that most people will find bogon and the IANA
> list more trouble than they're worth, really. If
> you do insist on keeping on using them, you can
> allow the IPs blocked when you run into problems
> such as your connection cutting off.

Sorry if this is obtuse, but there's many more than 4 lists to add to Peerblock, unless I'm missing something. I see a whole bunch.

I'm also pretty familiar with the bogon space and IANA, I just don't see the point in either blocking or not blocking them. I guess the opinions, or links to the discussions of those people, who find them more trouble than they are worth, would be reading I'm looking for. As the definitions as outlined in Wikipedia are things I pretty much already understand.
Anonymous User
October 29, 2014 09:24PM
I guess the lists I was talking about weren't the "Education", "Ads", "Spyware" and "P2P...I was referring to the "dshield", "hijacked" and other lists like that.
October 30, 2014 01:12PM
In that case, yes, you will need to add lists such as those to PeerBlock if you wish to use them. As I said, there are no lists included in PeerBlock "out-of-the-box". That means if you don't add lists to PeerBlock (or just tick the box next to the four default lists in the List Manager), PeerBlock will block absolutely nothing.

Issues relating to using bogon and IANA can be, for example, related to one's Internet connection dropping off since the computer can't connect to the ISP's DHCP server to renew the IP address. The bogon (and/or IANA) list will block connections like those, since both 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 are used by DHCP but considered "reserved". In cases such as those the those lists will only increase problems without keeping you any more safe, since it's just between you and your ISP. For further reading, I suggest searching for the word bogon on the forum, there have been lots of threads about it in the past.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login