Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uncaught Exception EVERY TIME Peerblock will NOT start!!!

Posted by justinrpg 
Uncaught Exception EVERY TIME Peerblock will NOT start!!!
December 12, 2014 12:23AM
Peerblock WILL NOT start at all whatsoever!!! I get the error in the screenshot EVERY TIME!!! how do I fix???
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.PNG (25 KB)
Re: Uncaught Exception EVERY TIME Peerblock will NOT start!!!
December 12, 2014 06:20PM
Since there doesn't seem to be a verified fix posted on the forum, but uninstalling, then rebooting, then installing again seems to have fixed the problem for some. I'd begin with that. After you've tried, do tell us whether or not it worked.
Hi,

I tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling both versions of Peerblock (1.1 and 1.2) but still get the same error the program tries to open. The program was running fine and listed as an expception with my anti-virus SW (AVG) but now doesn't open without displaying this error message,

I've attached the latest la pic of the exception box details as well as the log and dmp files if that helps.

Please assist and thank you in advance.

Kevin
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (11.4 KB)
open | download - peerblock.dmp (27.2 KB)
open | download - Peerblock Exception.bmp (2.25 MB)
March 17, 2015 07:44PM
The version from which the log and the screenshot are is 1.0 (r181), which was released four and a half years ago. Are you sure you've tried running the more recent versions?

The error in question was mostly seen in computers with very little RAM. Since one of our former test team members updated his computer, it's been seen very rarely. You should probably first make sure you've downloaded the very latest version from here [www.peerblock.com] and if that doesn't help, consider adding more memory to your computer. Unfortunately that's the only advise I can think of right now.

My collegue Tippy went through the trouble of finding the thread where this issue was discussed in most detail: [forums.peerblock.com] Perhaps you'll find something to help you there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 08:02PM by Keefa.
Hi Keefa,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I attached the error log and .dmp file from a fresh install of version 1.2 (which was the version I was using until I got the crashes) and screenshot of onboard RAM (2.5Gcool smiley.

I tried version 1.1 just to see if the same error occurred, and it did.

Please advise

Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (58.4 KB)
open | download - Peerblock 1.2 Exception.bmp (2.25 MB)
March 17, 2015 08:14PM
The problem doesn't seem to be with the amount of RAM, then, nor is it with the version you use. Tippy and I think, based on the thread to which I linked in the previous message, that a list of your running processes might be helpful.

Sorry for not being able to give you a simple and quick solution, but this issue really is very rare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 03:27PM by Keefa.
fxm
March 18, 2015 01:10PM
I found this explanation and "fix" on the code repository

#12 bingobon...@gmail.com

...I started to encounter this error last year after some time of operation. Shutdown and reboot the machine and normally all is well. Today I got that error right after starting Peerblock (actually, trying to start as it happens right away).

...I checked the lists and one (Default P2P) is really over 2MB (it's some 2730KB or so). I deleted the file and started Peerblock. And it works. I let it update, it updates the list, downloads the 2,7 MB again and, bang, after closing the update window, you get the same error.

So, it's indeed related to big lists and that's obviously the reason why it happens more and more - lists are getting bigger. Machine has still 1,5 GB free of RAM, so memory can't be an issue. But the parsing of the file may need very much virtual memory allocation for a short time and that maxes it out. Or maybe it calculates the necessary allocation wrong. Anyway, I think you should be able and find this error once you know it's caused by big lists. The error occurs first in mainproc.cpp and then immediately afterwards in updatelists.cpp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 01:17PM by fxm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login