Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peerblock on my desktop PC blocking my tablet!?

Posted by Newtype 
Peerblock on my desktop PC blocking my tablet!?
August 01, 2015 10:49AM
I don't know how this is possible, but I have Peerblock installed on my desktop PC and every time I connect to the YouTube app with my tablet, I see that Peerblock on my PC is blocking my tablet from sending info to a Chinese Web site. I don't even understand how Peerblock on my PC can detect my tablet, let alone block it from sending stuff! I thought Peerblock only worked on the device which it is installed on. Can someone explain this to me? Both my PC and tablet are connected to the same router, in case this is relevant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 07:36PM by Newtype.
Re: Peerblock on my desktop PC blocking my tablet!?
August 02, 2015 04:33AM
Your PC is sharing is sharing its connection with the tablet,
Peerblock is managing the connections control , your tablet then tries to reach a specified IP ,
you're telling that it belongs to a chinese website or so ,
but this IP is blocked because it's banned in the ipfilter loaded by Peerblock.

Now tell us which IP is and we shall tell you if it's a false positive or less .
August 02, 2015 08:12AM
I've already figured out that it's a false positive. I changed the tablet's ip address from 192.168.0.106 to 192.168.0.103 in my router's settings and the blocking has stopped. It turns out that one of my lists was blocking the ip 192.168.0.106.

However, I still don't understand how Peerblock was detecting the tablet. My PC doesn't have a shared connection with my tablet (if you're talking about the "shared connection" feature). All the computers on my network are getting their connection from the router. I've been using Peerblock for years and I've never seen it block my other desktop PC or my laptop. In fact, I just tested both of them to see if Peerblock on my PC would block them and it didn't.
fxm
August 02, 2015 02:55PM
Newtype Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been using
> Peerblock for years and I've never seen it block
> my other desktop PC or my laptop. In fact, I just
> tested both of them to see if Peerblock on my PC
> would block them and it didn't.

It won't.
I can't be sure without seeing your logs but I suspect that the "China" traffic was inbound [not from or to your laptop].
August 02, 2015 06:23PM
fxm Wrote:

> It won't.
> I can't be sure without seeing your logs but I
> suspect that the "China" traffic was inbound.

This is what was appearing every time I was navigating on the YouTube app with my tablet:

Range: jingchuang.com.cn
Source: 192.168.0.106:40561
Destination: 239.255.255.250:1900
Protocol: UDP

It would pop up many times as long as I was on the app, but with different port numbers.
fxm
August 03, 2015 04:06AM
Newtype Wrote:

> Source: 192.168.0.106:40561
> Destination: 239.255.255.250:1900
> Protocol: UDP

That is a UPnP broadcast/announcement [evidently from your laptop]; nothing to do with China.
If you're worried about it, see [www.grc.com] for a lengthy discussion of what UPnP is and why you don't need it, plus a simple way to disable it completely.
August 03, 2015 07:11AM
Thank you. After doing some research on my own, I had arrived at that conclusion as well, but wasn't sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login