Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BUG: while-listing 0.0.0.0 doesn't work. Prevents Windows from waking up.

Posted by Mick P 
BUG: while-listing 0.0.0.0 doesn't work. Prevents Windows from waking up.
July 30, 2016 07:58PM
I recently setup the list recommended in this (http://forums.peerblock.com/read.php?3,17085) the I-blocklist discussion thread.

It seems to black-list 0.0.0.0.

Windows 10 seems to use 0.0.0.0 when the computer comes out of stand-by/sleep mode. If it cannot send these packets, then it puts the Internet connection into a non-functioning state.

The trouble is, that white-listing 0.0.0.0 doesn't work. PeerBlock blocks it anyway.

It's not practical to edit the list, since in theory it's a URL that's supposed to be updated on a regular basis.

I've never had a reply to anything I post in this forum.

Can someone A) reply to say that this is being fixed, and cool smiley fix this, and C) get it into the Auto-Update version.
Re: BUG: while-listing 0.0.0.0 doesn't work. Prevents Windows from waking up.
August 01, 2016 08:56AM
The lead developer isn't currently working on PB - so no new builds can be released since they need their drivers signed and only Mark has access to that (if he even renews the licence nowadays). We're all eagerly awaiting his return, he's just really busy with his permanent job currently.

Mick P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently setup the list recommended in this
> (http://forums.peerblock.com/read.php?3,17085) the
> I-blocklist discussion thread.
>
> It seems to black-list 0.0.0.0.
>
> Windows 10 seems to use 0.0.0.0 when the computer
> comes out of stand-by/sleep mode. If it cannot
> send these packets, then it puts the Internet
> connection into a non-functioning state.
>
> The trouble is, that white-listing 0.0.0.0 doesn't
> work. PeerBlock blocks it anyway.
>
> It's not practical to edit the list, since in
> theory it's a URL that's supposed to be updated on
> a regular basis.
>
> I've never had a reply to anything I post in this
> forum.
>
> Can someone A) reply to say that this is being
> fixed, and cool smiley fix this, and C) get it into the
> Auto-Update version.

Beta Testing Rig: Windows 10 x64 Pro 1607, Intel Core i5 2500K, 16GB DDR3, Avast! Free Antivirus
August 02, 2016 06:57AM
Mick P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Windows 10 seems to use 0.0.0.0

Others with network problems solve by disabling World Wide Web Publishing Service (IIS). Don't know, if there is a something similar.

make_sock: could not bind to adress 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down

[www.youtube.com]
August 02, 2016 11:56PM
Thank you both for the replies.

It doesn't seem like the lists should have 0.0.0.0 or any bogons blacklisted, since those aren't IP addresses as far as I know. If the point is to cut off communication with IP address holders, it makes no sense, which is probably why 0 can't be white-listed. (0 may have special internal meaning to the software.)

I installed PeerBlock I think, because probably one day I accidentally ended up on piratebay.something-else, and it was a honey-pot that just by visiting the site filed a scare report with my ISP. I'm just guessing that's what happened. Which is a totally illegitimate practice. But I like the idea of just blocking IP addresses in a list. I pro-actively block communications in general. It's too bad people aren't taking this more seriously.

I guess it's still usable, but only in limited capacity, and only for bittorrenting. I maintain software myself, but I'm quite busy with my own specialties. I think software that requires signed drivers can maybe work with an unsigned driver, with consent. And I think it's possible to have usermode code interface with a driver, so that it can be signed less often. The performance might be sub-optimal.
August 03, 2016 06:51AM
Bad to hear but it's a business model to make a few quick bucks with it. The IP only is in any case an insufficient prove, without further details of the alleged up- or download.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login