Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Error contacting url

Posted by armyfighterolson 
Error contacting url
October 09, 2009 10:04AM
So i recently gave up on peer guardian for my new pc running vista 64. i installed peer block and i cant update the lists. i get error contacting url. what gives? thanks for the help
Re: Error contacting url
October 09, 2009 10:06AM
i just allowed peerblock through my firewall and that didnt help.
October 09, 2009 10:10AM
i restarted the machine....nothing...
October 09, 2009 10:16AM
If you could attach your peerblock.log and peerblock.conf files (found in your PeerBlock install-directory, "C:\Program Files\PeerBlock" by default), that would help us chase down the exact nature of the problem.

Other than that, which list is it complaining about? If "P2P", what happens if you enter "http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=bt_level1" into your web browser?

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
October 09, 2009 10:54AM
when i put that url in the browser "internet explorer cannot display" so im guessing its a service issue. is there a way to "allow" that url? my internet is working fine otherwise
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (121.6 KB)
open | download - peerblock.conf (5.3 KB)
October 09, 2009 11:07AM
it is complaining about all the lists. it hasnt successfully updated once so i dont think i am blocking anything right now.
i even added two urls that were suggested on the peer guardian site.
[iblocklist.com]
[iblocklist.com]
im not sure if these are actual lists or links to lists but i get the same error and internet explorer wont let me visit the site either.
October 09, 2009 11:10AM
i can access the iblocklist.com homepage but none of the links...weird
nevermind..my mistake..i cant get on iblocklist.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 11:11AM by armyfighterolson.
October 09, 2009 11:56AM
Looks like the error we're getting is "Could not resolve host: list.iblocklist.com; No data record of requested type".   Sounds like you're on a network with an upstream filtering engine of some sort, and basically they're blocking you from accessing the list.iblocklist.com website.   This would explain both this error and the failure you get when you try it in IE.

Other than talking to your network admins and asking them to unblock this site (which, based on your username and the email-address with which you registered here I'm assuming is not an option), there are still a couple of things you could try:

1. Change list URLs to a different host.  This may work, but keep in mind that most other blocklist hosts tend to be fairly unreliable . . . and could be blocked as well.   For the "P2P" list the actual list you're looking for is "Bluetack Level1", and some alternative URLs for it include [www.bluetack.co.uk], or [peerguardian.sourceforge.net].

2. Manually transfer the list-file over to this machine.   You could download whatever list-files you want on a machine from which these URLs aren't blocked, put 'em on a USB drive, and move 'em over to this machine.  Then add them as file-based lists via the List Manager.   They won't be automatically updated, but at least you'll have some protection...

In case you don't have easy access to a machine which can reach these URLs, I've uploaded the current versions of the P2P, Ads, and Spyware lists to our servers - hopefully you'll be able to download them, and again add them to PeerBlock as static files.  It's better than nothing...

Good luck,

---  Mark  ---

October 09, 2009 01:02PM
ok..well thanks for the info. about the network admin...i dont really have one..what i mean is..im the admin at home n my isp is time warner cable. as far as i know there is no administrator unless time warner is filtering those urls for some reason..
that being said. is there something on my machine i can do to "allow" the urls?
October 09, 2009 01:18PM
wow...im not sure what happened...i tried to add the peer guardian list you gave me. it said i needed admin rights so i closed the "add list" window and it did an auto update and found the lists..idk. time warner must have been having problems? thanks for all the help mark!!!! youre the man
October 09, 2009 01:29PM
Ah, for some reason I was assuming the Army was your network admin, hence the "may not be possible" thing. =winking smiley

Try the following: open up a command-prompt and type "ping list.iblocklist.com".   Does it say "could not find host list.iblocklist.com", or does it display something like "pinging list.iblocklist.com [xx.xx.xx.xx]" and then timeout?

I'm on IRC right now, if you'd like to have a live chat about this stuff - should help us try things out a bit faster, without having to wait for us to see eachother's posts here on the forum...   We're at #peerblock on irc.freenode.net.  If you're not a huge IRC person, you can use their web-interface, just put in "#peerblock" in the "channel" field and it should bring you right in.

---  Mark  ---

April 30, 2010 10:14AM
I am having this exact same problem.. what was the fix? please help. I would like to get this program fixed before my big presentation for school. (the presentation is on peerblocker) I would like it to work.. thankssmiling smiley
May 01, 2010 05:12PM
i had a similar problem when i installed peerblock, something to do with changing the default settings, i re installed it and allowed it to use its own set of lists, works fine now. seem to be getting a lot of pings from saudi arabian companies though, hope I dont get flagged on the cia's watch list. lol
October 15, 2011 12:26PM
I am getting this error also, cant ping [list.iblocklist.com], i get a "ping request could not find host list.iblocklist.com" error. not sure if this is my ISP blocking the url but will give them a call and find out. Is there any chance you can upload the latest lists somewhere so i can manually add them to peerblock? the ones in the earlier messages are a few months old and dont have all the ips.

thanks
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (43.9 KB)
October 15, 2011 10:44PM
Today/yesterday I have been getting errors updating my blocklists, for my latest update (does every 10 days).
Errors were in "Updating" window ---> Error Contact URL: Failed connect to list.iblock...

After reading this post, i tried out sth, and PROBLEM RESOLVED (it seems).

I did this:
1) Go to [www.iblocklist.com] (source of all the lists i use)
2) Login (create a user account if haven't one)
3) Look for all lists that using in peerblock ("List Manager")
4) ALTER the URL for each list to what's in the "Update URL" boxes on iblocklist.com site (possibly may also work with
URLs under "Name" links) (in PeerBlock, double-click mouse on list .. or click ->"Edit")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2011 10:44PM by Stefano.
October 16, 2011 07:32AM
Hi all,

anyone found a fix for this problem yet. I'm still can't contact iblocklist to get updates.
Any clues?

Thanks,
Steve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012