Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Signed-Driver Status

Posted by MarkSide 
Signed-Driver Status
August 18, 2009 01:02PM
Just wanted to post here to keep y'all updated about the status of our driver-signing project.

Currently, the New York Department of State is reviewing our application for the company "PeerBlock, LLC". Once they do that - supposedly once per week from what I remember reading online - they will send me a letter with a receipt that serves as notice that we're Official. And then we should be in a position to purchase that code-signing certificate. After that it should only be a matter of running through the driver-signing process, testing it out to make sure it works, then making sure we have as stable a PeerBlock release as we can so we'll be comfortable shipping out a PeerBlock 1.0 release with this signed driver.

I expect we'll get a fair amount of attention once we get out PeerBlock 1.0, so I really want to make sure it's as good as it can be. Well, "good enough" I suppose, since I doubt we'll be able to get through all of the known bugs by then... So while we're waiting for the driver-signing incidentals to complete we're working on going through the list of bugs on our Issue Tracker, concentrating on the ones targetted for 1.0.

Here's the list of what needs to happen before we can come out with a PeerBlock 1.0 Signed Driver Release:
  1. Send Paperwork - Need to fill out the necessary paperwork, and send it to the NY Department of State. This was done a long time ago now...

2. Payment Charged - The NY Department of State will charge my credit-card when they finish filing the paperwork, presumably. This occurred on 8/24/09 (noticed it on 8/25/09)!

3. Notice Received - The NY DoS will send me a receipt for filing; this apparently constitutes their notice to me that the paperwork was accepted. Received this receipt on 8/27/09.

4. Purchase Code-Signing Certificate - With a company registration in hand, we should finally be "allowed" to spend out money on that code-signing cerficate. Discovered a very important email in my spam-folder on 9/10/09, got our code-signing certificate on 9/11/09!

5. Sign Our Driver - I'll need to take some time to run through the driver-signing process, make sure I get it all right. Will be following the steps described in Microsoft's 56-page "driver signing walkthrough" document this weekend. Got this working yesterday, 9/12/09.

6. Release Signed Driver to Beta Team - First off we'll be creating a release to our Beta Team, so that they can test the driver-signing stuff and make sure I didn't screw it up . . . and that it actually works as expected. Released this to our Beta Team last night, 9/12/09.

7. Release Signed Driver in an Interim Release - Once our Beta Team signs off on it, we'll create a new Interim Release to get some testing performed by a wider audience. This was released in the PeerBlock r162 Interim Release, released 9/17/09.

8. Release PeerBlock 1.0 - After that Interim Release has gone through a few days worth of test, assuming no nasty issues are uncovered we'll release PeerBlock 1.0 . . . and party like rockstars! Currently planned for this weekend, sometime around 9/25/09.

So we've still got a little ways to go, but it really shouldn't be all that long now... I will update this list (and post to the bottom, too, to bump it on the main forum page) when something changes.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2009 07:42PM by MarkSide.
Anonymous User
Re: Signed-Driver Status
August 20, 2009 05:33PM
Excellent Work Mark

I am Highly appreciative of your work and design.
I will even be happier when the signed driver version is ready.

Thanks Again Mark, and all your Dev Team Members

Larry
August 25, 2009 04:48PM
Well hey, the NY Department of State finally just charged my credit-card the $200 it costs to file the company-registration paperwork - hopefully that means the official notice should be showing up in my mailbox soon!

I'll update the first post of this thread with a list of the things that need to be done before we can release a Signed Driver out into the wild, and will scratch things off that list as we move through them.

But hey, we're making progress . . . shouldn't be long now!

---  Mark  ---

August 28, 2009 01:04AM
I received my official receipt from the NY Department of State today, so we're all set there: PeerBlock, LLC is now an official legal entity! Funnily enough I received two letters yesterday, one from a lawyer and one from an accountant, offering to help ease our new company through its early formative days... Guess they're quicker on the draw than the NY state government, huh?

I also started the process of getting that code-signing certificate. Apparently it takes an unknown amount of time for them to check up on us to make sure we're a real company; hopefully that part will go through without a hitch and we'll be ready to sign a driver soon. Again, I'll make sure to keep y'all posted as we make progress.

We're getting oh so close!!

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 02:30AM
Just out of curiosity, when do you expect to be at step 7 (a month, 2?) Thanks. smiling smiley
August 28, 2009 02:47AM
Ideally, I'd like to be there in a week or two. I don't think we have any bugs on our issue tracker for which I'd be willing to hold up the PeerBlock 1.0 Signed-Driver release, but could be convinced otherwise if people think anything on there is super-critical. Getting this signed driver out the door and into peoples' hands is my number one priority as far as this project goes right now, since that's one of the biggest annoyances with it right now I think.

Unfortunately the biggest time-sink is out of my hands: the company from which we're buying our code-signing certificate needs to verify that we are in fact a company. As far as I can tell I've dotted all the 'I's and crossed all the 'T's as far as the paperwork goes, but who knows if they'll need anything further. If anyone has any friends working at GlobalSign (or whatever third-party company it is that apparently does these checks for them), please put in a good word for us! winking smiley

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 02:57AM
Wow 2 weeks.. that's fast.. I'm excited smiling smiley
August 28, 2009 05:13AM
2 weeks....sweeeet
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 11:36AM
2 weeks? That's great news guys. Your hard work is really appreciated.
August 28, 2009 01:14PM
Well, that's my plan anyways... Let me rather say, I hope to release 1.0 with a signed driver in about one week after we get that code-signing certificate from GobalSign. I would expect they'll be able to perform their checking within a week, but if not we will of course be delayed.

And if anything this is more a statement of how important I think this signed driver is, rather than how awesome we are at fixing up bugs. We still have a number of bugs in there, just look at the buglist to see.  However barring one or two which I'd really like to get in there, I don't think I'd consider any of them to be absolute showstoppers.  And since we've still got some bugfixing time while we wait for that code-signing certificate I'm hoping to get even more Goodness in there.

That said, I definitely appreciate everyone's enthusiasm!  smiling smiley  Helps make the hard work worthwhile.  That and having a program that actually works, out of purely selfish reasons. winking smiley

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
September 01, 2009 02:22AM
I am glad to see that things are running along so well and can't wait to be able to run the program on Win 7 x64 without any problems.
Anonymous User
September 10, 2009 02:41AM
Hey Mark.. any progress so far?
September 10, 2009 02:45AM
No! sad smiley

I have no idea why it would take this long for them (GlobalSign) to approve our application to purchase a code-signing certificate. Even if they were going to reject it for whatever reason, I'd think they'd have done that by now. The $230 we paid them isn't exactly going to fund a lengthy background check or anything...

I will call them tomorrow, see if we can figure out what's holding things up.

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
September 10, 2009 02:54AM
Yeah.. I'd definitely call and give them an earful.. that's pretty ridiculous of them. Good luck!
Anonymous User
September 10, 2009 03:21PM
Yes your efforts are greatly appreciated and please light a fire under those guys. Checked back today after long time and figured be way past this point lol.
September 10, 2009 05:15PM
Turns out it was my fault. sad smiley They had sent an email that needed attention, and it got thrown into my spam-mail folder. (*sigh*) Gmail's spam-filter has worked so well for me in the past that I've gotten lazy about double-checking my spam-mail folder.

I've now provided the additional information they needed, so hopefully this process will move along more quickly now.

---  Mark  ---

September 10, 2009 06:12PM
That happens to all of us every now and then, don't beat yourself up about it.
September 10, 2009 07:13PM
Beat yourself up Mark. Man, Mark, how could you mess up so BAD! Been waiting and waiting and you blunder something so simple! Dang. Lol Just yanking your chain bro. Lol No sweat it will all work out eventually. Cheers!
September 11, 2009 04:09PM
Got it!!

It's amazing how quickly things move along once you notice important emails in your spam folder...! winking smiley

I now have the code-signing certificate installed on my development machine, and will be trying to follow the 56-page driver-signing walkthrough document this weekend. So start those clocks running, from here on in I hope we'll be releasing a PeerBlock 1.0 with an officially signed driver in about a week!

Woo-hoo!!

---  Mark  ---

September 11, 2009 06:48PM
Yahooooooooo!
September 11, 2009 07:18PM
Yeah Boi sounds great lets get this thing moving....
Anonymous User
September 11, 2009 08:54PM
Mark I would be more than happy to help beta test the program since I am running the RTM of Windows 7. I am happy to see that we are so much closer to having Peerblock running without having to change settings or disable anything.
Anonymous User
September 11, 2009 09:56PM
That is nice to hear. I am also looking forward to a beta version for windows 7 RTM x64.
September 11, 2009 10:27PM
Everybody is linking there chops Mark. Must be some anticipation going on around here!
September 11, 2009 11:03PM
Great news! Keep us updated!

Beta Testing Rig: Windows 10 x64 Pro 1607, Intel Core i5 2500K, 16GB DDR3, Avast! Free Antivirus
September 12, 2009 01:18AM
Glad you guys are excited - I've been looking forward to this for a long time too! winking smiley

As far as new members of the official Beta Team go, I'm not too sure how much I want to open up the doors just yet... The guys on the team currently have been hacking away at it for awhile now, and especially since we're so close to 1.0 I'm not sure how much I want to mess with the flow. I know it's not quite the Open Source Way, but I'm trying to strike a balance between that ideal and having a system that works well for this project.

I'll think about it though, and will talk privately with the members of the Beta Team to see what they think. Thank you for being interested enough in helping out that you've volunteered!

---  Mark  ---

P.S. Worst-case scenario, we should be releasing a signed-driver Interim Release in a few days; this should come a few days before the release of PeerBlock 1.0 (a "Public Release"), and should be a "release candidate" type of thing...

Anonymous User
September 12, 2009 02:08AM
Excellent news. Look forward to it. Damn you spam folder!!
Anonymous User
September 12, 2009 02:17AM
Awesome!..... Yeah the Spam folder will get ya every time...LoL

So far I am impressed with the program, you have made allot of great improvements and I am looking forward to future releases!, thanks!!
September 12, 2009 06:01AM
I like the way you put that Xcel. And it's true you guys have resurrected PB into an awsome software. Thanks guys.
And it can only get better from here!
Anonymous User
September 12, 2009 06:28AM
Awesome, just formatted my machine, guess I can wait for 1.0 now grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login