Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Signed-Driver Status

Posted by MarkSide 
Re: Signed-Driver Status
September 13, 2009 04:39PM
I got the driver-signing stuff working yesterday, and released a signed release to the Beta Team last night! Sounds like it's working on everyone's computers so far; no test-signing or F8-during-boot workarounds required, and the "UAC Warning" prompt that pops up when you run the installer or PeerBlock is a nice soothing blue color instead of the scary yellow "warning" mode version.

So at this point, we're almost there! We just want to get a few final bugfixes put into the code before releasing a new Interim Release (aka the "PeerBlock 1.0 Release Candidate), and iron out a few kinks caused by recent development. Should be only a few days away now!

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
September 13, 2009 07:50PM
Yeah boy!

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
Anonymous User
September 15, 2009 07:15PM
Mark,

I just want to say thank you for all the hard work you and the team have put into getting this working without having to go through workarounds. I know I am truly happy that you have gotten this far on the project and hope that this program will be available soon.
Anonymous User
September 16, 2009 03:45AM
I am really liking this project!! Now if the people who maintain the block lists would put this much attention and dedication into making sure they are 'correct' we would be set.
September 16, 2009 05:57PM
great news, i wont have to hit F8 every time anymore soon, i may be new to this but thanks for making improvements to a program that watches our backs and makes it that much harder for the people that only want to do harm, good work and keep it up, very much appreciated!
September 17, 2009 03:16AM
Thanks for all the kind words, everybody!

Sadly, it's looking like we won't be releasing that new Interim Release tonight after all. A couple members of our team have run into a rather nasty bug in our shutdown code, such that the program apparently doesn't shut down correctly and leaves a half-dead copy of peerblock.exe still running, such that attempts to start a new instance of PeerBlock won't work either. Not sure if it's a regression or if it's already in the publicly-available releases, and it doesn't show up on all machines, but we'd rather not release it until we've had a chance to chase it down a bit more.

Hopefully soon though...

Thanks in advance for your patience,

---  Mark  ---

September 23, 2009 07:40PM
Just wanted to note that the Signed Driver will now be present in all releases from here on in, starting with last week's PeerBlock r162 Interim Release.  I'm "unstickying" this thread since it's not quite as hot a topic anymore.

---  Mark  ---

September 23, 2009 07:57PM
still a hot topic for me, everyday i gotta not forget to hit F8, lol. wish i knew programming like you guys do then i could use your latest version, but im patient and r.86 is working rather well, keep us posted about 1.0 and keep up the good work, your hard work is appreciated, thanks.
September 23, 2009 08:14PM
Actually, that r162 Interim Release is quite stable - I highly recommend checking it out since you're using 64-bit! The biggest "known issue" with that release (to be fixed with tonight's planned new Interim Release / PeerBlock 1.0 Release Candidate 2) is that if you're running Outlook 2010 or the MS Live Mail desktop client, extra copies of peerblock.exe may be lying around in your task manager if you try to start it more than once at a time. We have some other comparatively minor fixes going in as well, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to you. We also have a LOT of additional fixes in there versus r86; had I known how long it would end up taking to get the signed-driver paperwork in order I would have released a new Public Release probably about a month ago.

But if you're willing to be patient, then yes we should be releasing our stable Public Release of PeerBlock 1.0 hopefully this weekend. Just try not to reboot your machine too often between now and then and you should be fine... winking smiley You can also install the Interim Release for now, and then install the Public Release of 1.0 over top of it when that comes out.

Either way, thanks for following along with us!

---  Mark  ---

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login