Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PeerBlock blocking almost everything

Posted by autotran 
PeerBlock blocking almost everything
October 18, 2009 09:49AM
I was using PeerGuardian 2 and had no problems, I was connecting OK to most, if not all, seeders and leechers. I installed the latest version of PeerBlocker today (PeerBlock-Setup_v1.0.0.r181.exe) and was only connecting to 1 or 2 leechers. Download speed was at about 1 to 2% of normal. I reinstalled PeerGuardian 2 (which I had just removed) and I can connect to most, if not all of the seeders and leechers again (about 2 MB/s). I am using uTorret 1.8.4, the latest version. What am I or your program doing wrong and how can I correct it?
Re: PeerBlock blocking almost everything
October 18, 2009 10:10AM
Which lists are you currently using? Also if DHT is enabled in Utorrent do all the trackers loaded with the torrent show as online? PB could be blocking some of the trackers.

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
October 18, 2009 10:45AM
In PeerGuardian 2 I am using list "http://peerguardian.sourceforge.net/lists/p2p.php", the default.
DHT is enabled in uTorrent, also the default. All the trackers appear to be online using PeerGuardian. Since I removed PeerBlock, I don't know the answer to the question for it.
I always installed these programs just using the defaults, I didn't change or modify anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 10:46AM by autotran.
October 18, 2009 11:53AM
Hi autotran,

Sorry to hear that PeerBlock appears to be blocking your torrents.  I use uTorrent myself in conjunction with PeerBlock and haven't seen the sort of problem you're talking about.  It could be that you have PeerBlock configured to use many more lists than PG2, or it could be that PG2 isn't actually blocking, or it could be some strange bug in PeerBlock.  Also please note that PeerBlock and PG2 really shouldn't be used at the same time, and if you ran PG2 prior to running PeerBlock since the last time you rebooted your machine it's possible/likely that PG2 never finished unloading itself and is interfering with PeerBlock.

Just grasping at straws here, I know, but it's tough to say what's going on...

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
October 18, 2009 11:57AM
its gotta be something with your settings or something, i can average >1.5meg easily with PB running.
October 18, 2009 12:07PM
Thanks for the responses.
I uninstalled PeerGuardian 2 right after I installed PeerBlock. To do this I had to make sure that neither program was running. But, I mightn't  have rebooted after the uninstall and possibly this caused my problem. When I get a chance I will install PeerBlock again and see if I get different results.
October 19, 2009 12:20AM
There's also the possibility that the lists you're using in PG2 aren't up to date, whereas the ones in PB are up to date. perhaps there is a good reason your trackers are being blocked!

If you have DHT enabled, then even if you can't get access to most trackers your torrent should still pick up other peers through DHT, it just takes a little longer.

I've never had problems running both utorrent and PB together, other than trackers being blocked - and there is usually (although not always) a valid reason for that.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
October 19, 2009 11:38AM
I reinstalled PeerBlock this morning. I had PeerGuardian 2 running OK on my computer and exited it, I didn't reboot. I then started PeerBlock and within a short time I was downloading at about 1.3 MB/s (I had only one torrent running) and uploading between 200-500 kB/s (6 or 7 torrents). PeerBlock was varying speed much more than PG2 had been with the same torrents.

I played around with uTorrent for a couple of hours and checked the different settings. It was set to random ports on startup, I changed the ports a couple of times, wasn't sure if it made any difference. I stopped the random ports and set it on port 41004. After awhile I noticed that my upload was steady at 265 kB/s, nice and smooth, but I should have been over 500 kB/s. I looked at my uTorrent Bandwidth setting and it was set to Automatic and the box was grayed out with 263kB/s in it! I didn't set it, it did it by itself! I unchecked the Automatic and set it to 0 (unlimited). My upload speed started to climb. It peaked at 640kB/s, the best ever.
It has been running now for 1 hour, very smooth, no major speed dips at all (I just noticed one occurred about 10 minutes ago, in over a minute span it dropped to about 250kB/s and then recovered). It is uploading between about 570 to 600 kB/s (16 active torrents running). One torrent downloading at between 70-300 kB/s (only a few peers connected). PeerBlock seems to be working perfectly with no problems at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 11:40AM by autotran.
October 19, 2009 12:06PM
Well hey, glad to hear that everything's working well for you now!  If you run into any other strange problems, or if you have any suggestions as to how we could make PeerBlock even better, feel free to let us know.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
October 19, 2009 02:12PM
autotran Wrote:
> It was set to random ports on startup, I changed the
> ports a couple of times, wasn't sure if it made
> any difference. I stopped the random ports and set
> it on port 41004.

just a suggestion, keep your ports randomized upon each and every start-up of utorrent, it helps with security, makes it tougher to be tracked cuz your port is always different. i use randomized port each time with PB running and never have any problems or lag/slow-down, i have broadband and avg down->1.5megs up->(depends of # of torrents but the most ive seen total was over 500kbs!), just trying to help you help yourself, goodluck.
fxm
October 19, 2009 03:15PM
autotran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I noticed that my
> upload was steady at 265 kB/s, nice and smooth,
> but I should have been over 500 kB/s. I looked at
> my uTorrent Bandwidth setting and it was set to
> Automatic and the box was grayed out with 263kB/s
> in it! I didn't set it, it did it by itself!

That's the way "automatic" works. Every X seconds it runs unlimited for Y seconds, then sets the "automatic limit" to Z% of the rate actually observed. (X,Y and Z are settable in the Advanced Options section).

If by chance a "test window" happens to occur while uTorrent's transfer rate is limited (by other activity on the connection or lack of interest by the current group of peers or whatever) the newly set limit will be unnecessarily low.

Not to worry: X seconds later the whole cylcle starts again.
October 19, 2009 07:58PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and info. I will randomize the port again and see how it performs. I will keep the bandwidth upload rate at 0 which is unlimited. I didn't see where automatic worked out so well as it reduced it to 263 and it just stayed there. And as soon as I took auto off it more than doubled in speed.
I am on Verizon FIOS with the 20/5 plan. The max download I ever saw with torrents is about 2.4/2.5 MB/s down and 640 kB/s up as mentioned above.
October 20, 2009 01:13AM
i have comcast, even today i hit 2.1megs down and avg. 400kbs up, i have the upload set at "0" unlimited too, the upload rate if you dont know varies on how many people are actively downloading and how many torrents you yourself have active, but your welcome for the help and i hope PB works without any hitches for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 39
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012