Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NEED HELP!

Posted by librachic_102 
NEED HELP!
October 20, 2009 09:48PM
OK so in trying to get around whatever protection my school has on the internet, a friend told me about peer guardian so i downloaded and never got it to work. while trying to figure that out i stumbled upon a post in the forum about peerblock which was supposed to just run all hunkydory for me but its been just as unsuccessful. i deleted and uninstalled peer guardian but peerblock seems to download as the same name and shortcut on my desktop. i downloaded it and had it running but it wasnt blocking anything as per the ping 3.0.0.0 test and when i restarted peer guardian came right back up like it was before. i am so extraordinarilly confused....please help
Re: NEED HELP!
October 20, 2009 10:00PM
Hmm, well first off I'd recommend rebooting after you uninstalled PeerGuardian, before you install PeerBlock - PeerGuardian has a number of bugs in it, such that it could have still been lying around in a half-alive state even after it pretended to uninstall . . . thereby conflicting with PeerBlock when we tried to install/load.

Other than that, there should be a peerblock.log file in your C:\Program Files\PeerBlock directory - if you could upload that file to a post here on the forums as an attachment that would help us track down what PeerBlock is doing.

As far as PeerBlock installing as the same name and with the same icon on your desktop, um, well, it really shouldn't be doing that.  The icon should be a little blue block instead of the PeerGuardian circle, and should be labelled "PeerBlock" and not "Peer Guardian 2" or whatever.  If this is not the case, it's entirely possible that PeerGuardian never successfully uninstalled, and/or that PeerBlock never successfully installed.  Did you download the latest version of PeerBlock (1.0) from www.peerblock.com?

Troubleshooting wise, the first thing I'd suggest doing is to make sure that everything is removed from your system.  Uninstall PeerBlock (to reinstall it later), uninstall PeerGuardian if it still shows up in the Add/Remove Programs list, delete the PeerGuardian directory (C:\Program Files\Peer Guardian 2), and then reboot your machine.  After making sure that PeerGuardian is truly gone, then try re-downloading the PeerBlock installer from www.peerblock.com, and try installing it again.  And let us know what happens!

Sorry you're having some problems getting things running, but hopefully we'll be able to help you straighten things out.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
October 20, 2009 10:10PM
ok well i got peerblock up and running finally as per a setup file i found in another post with a similar problem. so far so good, restarted and everything and performed the ping test. but im confused. i dont quite understand how it works really. the whole point in this was that there is a website that i think my school internet is blocking - i was able to access it through an online proxy - and i was under the impression that this program would block whatever the school is using to be big brother so that i could use sites freely once again. am i wrong? i also didnt see my school on the education list. could that be the problem?
October 20, 2009 10:18PM
Ah, I think PeerBlock generally solves a different problem than what you're experiencing with your school.  Essentially it lets you give your computer lists of computers with which it should not talk, and then makes it so that your computer won't talk to them and they can't talk to you.

What PeerBlock does is protect you from, for example, your school trying to monitor your filesharing.  Or from your machine trying to contact ad servers, or spyware servers, or hacked computers, or pedophiles, or the government, etc.

As far as trying to work around your school's block on your websurfing habits, then what you've already done is what's necessary to get around it - use a third-party proxy server.  Essentially all your school's servers will see is your machine talking to that proxy server, and then it will talk to websites on your behalf and forward back to you their content . . . without your school's knowledge.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

October 20, 2009 10:21PM
well yes i do enjoy my utorrent...so can i download safely now? a friend of mine got in trouble for using limewire and they shut her internet off for 3 months. and in the settings i saw something about a proxy...can i set the website to go through the proxy via peerblock or do i have to do it manually every time?
October 20, 2009 10:24PM
the website i am trying to access is a sort of file sharing in itself. its a movie site which is essentially file sharing but you can watch the movies online without having to download the files. this was my alternative to not being able to download them because of not wanting to get my internet shut off and now i cant access that either.
October 20, 2009 10:54PM
Hi librachic_102,

PeerBlock is designed to only block connections from the internet, not from your school.

if it is your school that is monitoring your connection... (other than using a proxy server) you're pretty stuffed! if it is however an external company you are trying to block (for example RIAA), then PB should work fine for you.

PeerBlock also does not make you "safe" from anything on the internet - only safer. just like walking down ad street, a body guard can only make you so safe, people can still get around a body guard.

PeerBlock only blocks websites specified in the lists you provide (and the default ones, provided by iblocklist.com ), and these lists might include certain website you're trying to visit, including the movie site.

the best way to allow only the simgle website through, whilst keeping safest, is to at the webste's IP to you permanent allow list. instructions on doing that can be found here: [www.peerblock.com]

Currently PeerBlock doesn't have very good Proxy Support. the enhancement is listed here: [code.google.com] (issue 74). if you would like the Devs to focus on this sooner, please "star" the enhancement, and they will prioritize tasks accordingly.

Hopefully Mark and I have helped clear up any questions you have,

If you have further questions though please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
October 20, 2009 10:59PM
i dont know. i give up. im sorry theres only so much i understand about computers and this is not part of what i know.
October 20, 2009 11:02PM
the only thing i know about this other than you get in trouble for downloading is that in order to connect to the schools internet i had to download something called bradford dissolvable agent. i dont know if that will help or not.
October 20, 2009 11:13PM
So you would like to download whilst at school?

If you're sitting at school, and connected to your school's network, PeerBlock unfortunately isn't really able to do all that much to help you i'm afraid sad smiley

As long as PeerBlock doesn't stop your access to the internet, i would suggest you still run it.

for the website you cannot access, you will need to visit the site, and right click anything that comes up in blue in the main PeerBlock window, and select "Allow x.x.x.x permanently". (x will be four different random numbers) straight after visiting the site.

you should only have to allow i'm guessing at the most 10 different items on that list.

Let us know if this doesn't work.

Cheers!
October 20, 2009 11:15PM
nothing comes up. it says that it cannot connect to the server.
October 20, 2009 11:18PM
What that sounds like to me is your "DNS" server is being blocked.

is there anything (black) that comes up in the list where the "destination IP" ends in ":53"?

edityawning smileyh, and make sure you don't use the "education" list, it will cause many errors if you use it from within a school.

(i'm in a university now, i know all the sorts of errors it can come up with! it's annoying as anything!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 11:19PM by hoodadilly.
October 21, 2009 12:00AM
edit what?
October 21, 2009 12:01AM
destination is 141.238.126.2:53 haha so yes. ok now what
October 21, 2009 12:02AM
and when i click to the site it comes up with a page load error that says that firefox cannot find the host server
October 21, 2009 12:42AM
Try right-clicking on that IP-address in the main PeerBlock window, and select "Allow Permanently".

October 21, 2009 03:06AM
Sorry edit - colon - letter o.

it must have picked it up as a smiliey! smiling smiley

As mark said, allow that address permanently.

Now that peerblock is letting your DNS (the technology that makes website's names work), you should be able to follow the instructions i posted earlier, i've copied them to here for you too:

for the website you cannot access, you will need to visit the site, and right click anything that comes up in blue in the main PeerBlock window, and select "Allow x.x.x.x permanently". (x will be four different random numbers) straight after visiting the site.

you should only have to allow i'm guessing at the most 10 different items on that list.

Cheers!
October 21, 2009 07:33AM
wait what instructions? edit what? theres nothing to edit. and the site doesnt come up as blocked because firefox has yet to even connect to it.
October 21, 2009 08:09AM
Once you have that ":53" address permanently-allowed, the next step is to tell PeerBlock that it's okay to visit certain sites. 

In a general sense, what happens is you tell Firefox to go to www.whatever.com, and Firefox then contacts that "DNS" machine (the IP-address that ends in ":53", 141.238.126.2) and asks it what the IP address is for www.whatever.com.  141.238.126.2 then tells Firefox it's at whatever IP (let's pretend it's 1.2.3.4), and Firefox then tries to connect to 1.2.3.4 to get that webpage.  PeerBlock now steps in and compares 1.2.3.4 against the lists of "known bad" IP-addresses you've given it, and decides whether or not to allow the connection - since you're getting blocked we'll presume this 1.2.3.4 address is in the P2P list, so PeerBlock blocks it.  Firefox wasn't able to get to that website's ip-address, so will display some kind of an error page (eventually).  In the main PeerBlock window, you should see this 1.2.3.4 IP-address show up as being blocked.

Now since you're using a third-party Proxy Server, what happens is a little bit different.  Firefox takes its request for www.whatever.com, wraps it up, and passes it off to this Proxy Server.  The Proxy Server would then contact www.whatever.com for Firefox, and send back the webpage (or whatever) . . . this means that your computer is not directly connecting to www.whatever.com.  However, what's probably happening here is that the IP-address for the Proxy Server (let's call it 5.4.3.2) is on one of PeerBlock's blocklists, so that PeerBlock is preventing your computer from talking to it.  When PeerBlock blocks this connection attempt though, it will again note this in the main PeerBlock window.  This is how you can tell PeerBlock "It's okay to talk to this computer..." - right-click on that IP address and tell it to allow that IP permanently.  (Or temporarily, if you just want to test it...)

It know, it's a lot of stuff to understand, but hopefully that makes at least a little bit more sense of it all for you...?

---  Mark  ---

October 21, 2009 08:09AM
I was just correcting my typo with the word "edit", then the smiley! tongue sticking out smiley

if you've allowed the IP 141.238.126.2:53 permanently, firefox should attempt to connect, but as it has been blocked by PeerBlock, it will (and should) fail.

you NEED firefox to fail BEFORE the IP you are trying to allow is displayed in the PB window!

once the IP shows up (after firefox fails), allow the IP permanently.

If you're having still difficulties after trying this, if you would be happy to PM me the website's address, and i will create the appropriate 'allow' lists, which may be easier for you.

Cheers!

Mark i just read your post... Umm... does PeerBlock work when all traffic is going through a proxy? assuming the proxy is allowed through, wouldn't all traffic be allowed, therefore PB would be doing nothing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 08:16AM by hoodadilly.
October 21, 2009 08:35AM
i'm not sure if adding the website to an allow list would do anything because when i click the link it doesn't say that the site is blocked by anything it just says that firefox can't connect to the host server. and this site is one that solely offers links to other sites as a means to watching movies online so even when i do use a proxy i can access the site but i cant click the links therefore rendering it basically useless. there isnt some setting i can change in the internet options properties or within my computer to block the dns server or something?
October 21, 2009 08:51AM
The is an option to turn off "block HTTP", which will allow all (well 99.99%) of websites, but it may decrease your security.

You can try this option, it sounds like it may be the best option for you as you use lots of websites that may be blocked.

To turn off "block HTTP", simply right click the tray icon, and be sure there is no tick next to "block HTTP".

If you're using a proxy server for all of your traffic this won't help at all though.

I'm sorry, but i'm struggling to understand what you're trying to get peerblock to do; if there is nothing in the "blocked" window, then PB has done nothing... I'm concerned that peerblock is simply not the right program to do what you are after.

If you don't mind answering, what are you trying to use PeerBlock for?
October 21, 2009 08:55AM
see above
October 21, 2009 08:56AM
wow nothing aparently and this was just a big waste of my time. i read the descriptions and i thought peerblock could help me but i guess i default back to our resident computer nerd. i'm sure he will think of something.
October 21, 2009 09:26AM
Librachic_102:  I'm sorry we weren't able to explain what is happening clearly enough.   What I was trying to say was that it sounds like PeerBlock is blocking access to your Proxy Server, and since Firefox can't connect to that Proxy Server it's just telling you it can't connect to that site.  Once PeerBlock is set to allow your computer to talk to your DNS server (141.238.126.2), and that Proxy Server (which is what you need to find the IP address for, and allow that permanently), it should just work.  Firefox just needs to talk to that Proxy Server, then that Proxy Server will be the one talking to websites on Firefox's behalf.

I understand your frustration, and am very sorry you feel you wasted your time here.

Hoodadilly:  Yes, you've got it right.  I was just trying to start off explaining things at a more basic level with basic web-browsing, then explaining what happens once you throw a Proxy Server into the mix - hence the "Now since you're using a third-party Proxy Server, what happens is a little bit different." sentence.  Again, my bad for not explaining things clearly enough.

Maybe we could come up with an easy-to-understand explanation of exactly how all this stuff works, with pictures 'n' stuff, that we could post to our website (expanding upon those initial few pages of the User Guide, as we said we'd do) and forward people off to when we need to explain how this all works?

---  Mark  ---

October 21, 2009 02:50PM
mark, you know me im not computer savvy as you guys are but reading all the "before you start" and other info about PB i knew what it would do before installing, i think what that guy wanted was a program to mask his actions online only, but PB doesnt do that, PB only protects you from the "bad people" the ip's in the blocklists you have, PB doesnt give you stealth abilities which is what it sounds that guy was looking for. in other words librachic_102, PB helps decrease the chances of getting caught file sharing online but no gurantees, it can also block ads and others, PB is only meant to block ip's of your chosing nothing more, no stealth or anything like that, goodluck in your search though, if you use utorrent or any bitcomet like app for file sharing, i strongly recommend using PB.

edit: yeah i read through his comments and he wants to hide from "big brother" from his school, it appears he wants to override whatever protection his school's internet has, then mask his own actions online from "big brother". that is not what PB does though, dont feel bad mark, i think he misunderstood what PB does and how it does it, keep up the good work guys!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 02:58PM by brandonjm8.
October 22, 2009 02:52AM
Sorry to be so confusing librachic_102!

If you're using a proxy server, there should really be no need to worry about 'bad' connections - these connections aren't with you, but with your proxy server.

@mark:

Yeah sorry i think we were both a little confused!

I do aggree, we need a very basic explaination of how it works with as you said diagrams and the like, which could be added to our user guide.

I can try and work on something over the next few days, post it to the beta forum for 'review' and suggestions etc., then make it all look pretty and the like (the diagrams take a fair while!). Yeah?

It might take me a week or so (i'm really busy atm), but there's no hurry for it really!

Would you like me to do that?
October 22, 2009 08:00AM
hoodadilly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can try and work on something over the next few
> days, post it to the beta forum for 'review' and
> suggestions etc., then make it all look pretty and
> the like (the diagrams take a fair while!). Yeah?

Sure, that would be great!  Definitely no real rush or anything, it's just something that I think might be of help to new users.  And to us, really, so that we can point people to a page somewhere instead of trying to explain it over an over - and if people still find that page confusing, we can then update it based on their comments.

Thanks!

---  Mark  ---

October 22, 2009 08:11AM
Yep, i'll work on it over the next week or two.

it won't be done quickly - exams are coming up - but hey it'll be done eventually!
October 23, 2009 07:25AM
that guy sounds like a right idiot librachic_102 could sense the bad vibes coming from him,
peer guardian used to rule until it kept on crashing 24/7, i was wary of downloading peerblock as it looked the same, but how wrong was i , it hasn't screwed up once,an still running when i wake up in the morn.tis ace MarkSide
usually pg said it was blocking but nothing ever went up the screen i just keep updating an eventually u could see the blocks but they would only last say from 10 mins to aday if lucky
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012