Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to edit allow list (.p2b)

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
How to edit allow list (.p2b)
October 29, 2009 12:30AM
I don't see any way to edit the contents of my 'lists\permallow.p2b' file - what am I missing?

I understand the instructions for creating a list but don't see a way to edit a list once it's been created.

Thx, Rob
Re: How to edit allow list (.p2b)
October 29, 2009 12:55AM
Hi unbob, and welcome to the forums!

To edit a list all you'll need to do is open the List Manager, highlight the list you'd like to edit, and click "View".  Somewhat strangely named now that I think about it, I guess, but the "Edit" button just lets you edit a list's properties and not its contents.

If you don't mind my asking, how were you expecting to be able to edit the lists?  What sorts of things did you try?  It's obviously not entirely intuitive, and especially since you were bitten by this I'd love to hear your opinion as to what would have made sense.

Thanks, and I'm sorry the UI was confusing,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
October 29, 2009 03:43PM
Mark, thank you!

Yes, your instructions are correct - I was able to add entries to the file.

I simply wanted to add ranges of IP addresses to minimize manually allowing blocked individual IP addresses as encountered while browsing the 'net.

For example, I added 193.130.40.0 - 193.130.41.255 for the BBC web site.

Thanks again for your assistance.
October 29, 2009 06:10PM
Great, glad to hear that's working well for you then.  If you have any ideas as to how we could make the program more intuitive, or if you have any other suggestions or hit any bugs, please make sure to let us know!

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
November 11, 2009 01:59AM
Hi MarkSide,

Sorry to enter in this topic, but I have a similar question, and also I see you didn't get any answer for what you asked unbob, so I'll try to do it.

Yes, that List Manager window is a bit awkward. To start, it does not have a button to close it. The Remove button is on the best place to be clicked by mistake and delete the last (or only) list you edited without a simple prompt. It happened to me, so I know. It would be better to rename the following buttons:
View button to Edit List;
Add button to Import List;
Edit button to Properties.

Then, relocate the Remove button and on its place put a Close button. These are my suggestions. I hope this helps, but maybe someone else will tell you better.

Now, my problem.

Some time ago, many Whois sites would supply a list of IP addresses for ISPs and domains that had many. Now, I spent a long, long time searching and couldn't find any; many of them don't even give a single IP address on their search results. I am sure it will still be possible to get them, but I don't know how.

My question is: where can I find the lists of addresses for those domains with multiple IP addresses, so that I can use them for my allow list. For large domains it is not possible to put just a few. As an example, I tried with Hewlett Packard's and I couldn't get in with my list because, as I checked on the blocked addresses list (blue), always a new set of addresses came up and were blocked each time I tried to access the site. What if it was with Microsoft?

Could you, please give me a suggestion?
Anonymous User
February 11, 2010 07:38PM
Hei,

You don't have to thank me for giving you the answer you were expecting from someone else. By the way, thank you for the suggestion winking smiley
February 12, 2010 12:23AM
Hi Straydog,

Sorry, I actually don't seem to remember ever having even seen your question - must've glossed over it or something.

I'm not aware of any easy way to find out, say, all IP addresses that www.hp.com could resolve to.  I'm sure there is a way, but I really don't know of it.  For myself, what I'll generally do is use the Search feature on iblocklist.com to look for some of the text that shows up in the "Range" column.  That will show which lists contain ranges including that text, along with the contents of the range. 

We'll be reworking the UI for an eventual PeerBlock 2.0 release (two releases out), and will take your suggestions into consideration at that point.

Thanks,

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
February 26, 2010 01:44AM
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay, too, and thanks for the answer trying to help.

I think there is a way to find the IP ranges as they are needed for the block lists. maybe who make the lists will know. The way you describe is useful, of course, but only if we want to allow them, not to block them once they are already on the list. However we can also use the method to block only some sites without importing the whole list.

Someone knowing how to find the ranges could post it in the forum for everyone.

Meanwhile I found a way that some times gives the IP ranges. I don't know why, it doesn't always give them, I must have missed some thing.

I found the Samspade WHOIS. We start the normal way and it gives also an IP number for the search. Then, we copy that number to the URL field and it sometimes gives a range, as I found for Hewlett-Packard (15.0.0.0 - 15.255.255.255).

The I-Block site must know. I wanted to ask at the forum, but shame, it is not free! I noticed that even some lists now are for subscribers only. Well, maybe we better use the hosts file to block the IPs, however loosing the features of Peerblock, of course.

If I discover a better way to find the IP ranges I'll post it here, and I hope someone could give the right answer will do it, too.
February 26, 2010 02:37AM
Yes, a WHOIS search can tell you what company owns a given IP address . . . however, especially for webhosting, it's oftentimes not quite that simple.

Let's use www.peerblock.com for an example.  Using the ARIN WHOIS database search, we find no matches on "peerblock".  Why is this?  Obviously www.peerblock.com must have an IP address, right?  Well, let's try "pinging" www.peerblock.com to find out an IP address for it - if you open up a command prompt and run the command "ping www.peerblock.com" (without quotes, of course), you'll see that our IP address is 174.133.179.10.  Searching ARIN WHOIS for 174.133.179.10 will tell you that it's in a range of IP addresses owned by "ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.".

This is because a company called LANsquared, LLC, has graciously donated hosting services for our www.peerblock.com website.  The server we're on was rented by them from ThePlanet.com, who are the ones who "own" that IP address - they essentially are simply leasing it to LANsquared for as long as he's renting this server from them.

Making things even more annoying, the particular server which is represented by this IP address can also be hosting other sites than www.peerblock.com.  In fact, as this is a standard "shared hosting account" type of thing, there are likely a dozen or more sites being hosted at this same IP address as ours.  Furthermore, for large sites many IP addresses could be used to serve the same website - for example, if we had too much daily traffic for this one server to handle, we could set things up so that we have two, or three, or a hundred different webservers - at different IP addresses - serving up this site.  And on top of that, we might have HTML served by one group of servers, and images served by another.  Some of these IP addresses might belong to "ThePlanet.com", some might belong to Amazon S3, or slicehost.com, or some other randomly donated hosting. 

These are all reasons it's very difficult to just say "make www.amazon.com be not blocked, please".  If we were an HTML Proxy Server, operating on a per-URL basis instead of a per-IP basis, this would be easy . . . but that's not how PeerBlock works.

Make sense?

Want to block one of the "big guys", like Sony?  Well, they probably have their own range of IP addresses owned by them - this is easy to find, just search through ARIN WHOIS for "Sony".  Want to block a little guy, like www.peerblock.com?  That's easy too, just ping the server . . . there's probably only one.  The people in the middle are the tough ones...

Other than that, yes, absolutely, if someone has a better answer or knows of some tool that would allow this to succeed I'd love to hear about it!  DNS queries for name resolution purposes I believe only return one IP address at a time, and wouldn't be able to account for servers which handle load-balancing on their own.  (For example, if I have one machine identifying itself as www.peerblock.com, but which actually uses a number of machines "behind the scenes" to serve files to you.)

Hope this helps,

---  Mark  ---

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login