Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

List updating

Posted by MissMurder 
List updating
December 28, 2009 09:27AM
When PB started daily updates of my lists today I've noticed that a few of them a downloading VERY slowly.
Of the 4 lists that are being updated, one is stuck on 9%, one on 0%, one on 44% and one on 2%. They've been like this for quite a while now. It usually only takes a minute to get them updated, so whats happening? Is this caused by something my end, or is PB having a problem with iblocklist.com?
I added a couple of new lists yesterday, could one of those be a problem? In all I have 3 default PB lists, 4 other block lists and 2 allow lists.

Any help or ideas you guys have on this problem would be a great help. (:
Re: List updating
December 28, 2009 09:31AM
May I ask how long were they been stuck at that stage? I'd suggest being patient. Since of those three out of four lists, it's an obvious proof that your connection seems to be working and downloading appropriately.
December 28, 2009 09:46AM
5 to 10 minutes now.
3 of the 4 lists status' have now changed to "Error Contacting URL", the 4th is still on 1%.
December 28, 2009 09:52AM
Now that's interesting. Adding more lists for PeerBlock to download shouldn't affect how PeerBlock's download process go. Try canceling that download process and then doing a manual update. Again if this doesn't work, perhaps you could try again a bit later.
December 28, 2009 10:02AM
Yeah, I've tried doing that as well and I get the same results.
As you suggested, I'll try again later.
Thanks for the help! smiling smiley
December 28, 2009 10:32AM
Also, if the problem is still occurring could you please post your peerblock.log file?  I'd love to see the specific error-code we're running into, as that should give an indication as to how we're failing...

Thanks,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
December 28, 2009 10:51AM
Sorry for the noob question.. but, where do I find the log file?
>.<
December 28, 2009 12:41PM
As per the Known Issues thread, peerblock.log should be in whatever directory you've installed PeerBlock . . . C:\Program Files\PeerBlock by default.  Note that Windows Explorer may hide the file extension (everything after the period) on you by default, in which case it would show up as a file named "peerblock" of type "LOG file" (or maybe "Text Document").

You should be able to attach this file to a post here.

Thanks in advance,

---  Mark  ---

December 28, 2009 03:14PM
I've tried manually updating the lists a couple of times now, and I've just had to abort because they keep getting stuck for so long. The last time I tried, the four lists that needed updating were stuck at a certain percentage for about an hour, so I had to abort in the end. Heres the log file, MarkSide. It was too large to attach on its own, so I zipped it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2009 03:33PM by MissMurder.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.zip (61.2 KB)
December 28, 2009 04:33PM
is iblocklist.com's servers down again? my lists downloaded correctly and i have 14 total lists.
December 28, 2009 08:57PM
Hmm, the errors I'm seeing in there are:

ERROR CONTACTING URL, result:[6] err:[Could not resolve host: list.iblocklist.com; No data record of requested type]
This particular error code indicates that we're having problems contacting your DNS server and getting it to translate the computer name "list.iblocklist.com" to an IP address.  Are you able to get to list.iblocklist.com if you enter that into your web browser? 

I've heard a few people reporting this error on occasion, have never figured out what's causing it though...  Except for a couple people who were using OpenDNS for awhile there - that problem should be resolved by now though, I think.  Would love to get to the bottom of this problem, to be honest...  sad smiley

brandonjm8, I'm not having any problems updating my zillion lists from iblocklist.com either don't think it's an iblocklist.com hosting problem.  Probably yet another "quirk" of the third-party code we're using for list-downloading...

MissMurder, thanks for the logs, wish I had something better to tell you.

---  Mark  ---

December 30, 2009 07:14PM
Yes, I could get to the actual website, as I tried deleting and the adding the lists again to see if it would help, it didn't however.
I have no idea what was going on but it seems to have sorted itself out now, when PB started up today all the lists updated as they should.
Sorry I can't be of much help in trying to get to the bottom of this apparently reoccuring problem, MarkSide, but thank you for all your help anyway! grinning smiley
December 31, 2009 04:36PM
MissMurder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I could get to the actual website, as I tried
> deleting and the adding the lists again to see if
> it would help, it didn't however.
> I have no idea what was going on but it seems to
> have sorted itself out now, when PB started up
> today all the lists updated as they should.
> Sorry I can't be of much help in trying to get to
> the bottom of this apparently reoccuring problem,
> MarkSide, but thank you for all your help anyway!
> grinning smiley

if and when it happens again just post your dump, conf, and log files and markside and the other devs should eventually catch it or help stop it from happening anymore, goodluck.
January 09, 2010 03:12PM
I have attached my log file for PeerBlock.

Please use it to fix any problems.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (197.8 KB)
January 09, 2010 04:21PM
HI I'm having the same problem as of today. Logfile attached.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.zip (1.6 KB)
January 09, 2010 04:57PM
There is an issue with the I-Blocklist ISP.
I am working to get the site back up ASAP.
January 09, 2010 05:00PM
For the record i can't go to [iblocklist.com] 's site either so i'm assuming there servers are down & i ended up useing the lists from [blocklist.googlepages.com] as i did a complete install of the Beta r223 from scratch & couldn't get even the basic p2p list to update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2010 05:02PM by Clingon.
January 09, 2010 06:30PM
Clingon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the record i can't go to [iblocklist.com]
> 's site either so i'm assuming there servers are
> down & i ended up useing the lists from
> [blocklist.googlepages.com] as i did a
> complete install of the Beta r223 from scratch &
> couldn't get even the basic p2p list to update.

Those lists have not been updated in more then a year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2010 08:15PM by fakhir.
January 09, 2010 09:50PM
I-Blocklist should be back online now.
January 10, 2010 05:38AM
Hi Clingon,

I strongly suggest you use the lists from iblocklist.com, as they are much more up-to-date.

You may also use the lists from bluetack.co.uk - they are also always up-to-date, however they are far slower, and far less reliable than iblocklist.com 's servers.
January 25, 2010 07:47PM
I seem to be having the same problem,but it's the initial startup from install that it freezes on update.
My lists are just the basic P2P,Ads,and spyware ones,all frozen @ 29%, 3%, and 18% respectively.
They get only so far,then just won't continue, and have now been like that for over half an hour with absolutely no change.
Is this a known issue,a bad update site/list, or what?
My connecton speed is blazingly fast,so I'm pretty sure that it's not from my end.

Is there a simple solution for this,or is it a known bug?

You'd think the program would know where to call to get updated,wouldn't you? winking smiley

This is really doing my head in with all the waiting for a basic list update.

Any help would be,well, helpful winking smiley
Cheers from NZ
January 25, 2010 08:12PM
Hmm, no, that's very strange.  Could you post your peerblock.log and peerblock.conf, as per the Known Issues thread, in the hopes that shows some clue as to what's stalled?

Barring that, have you tried aborting and re-trying the list-download?  It really shouldn't take more than a few seconds for all the lists to download...  (The largest of them should only be a few MB.)

Sorry you're having problems,

---  Mark  ---

January 25, 2010 08:28PM
It's been happening to me a bit over the past few weeks too... it seems iblocklist's servers are getting a little bogged down.

i see fakhir has posted a "servers wanted!" message on iblocklist.com , i assume he's noticed it too.

Generally, cancelling the update, then re-updating the lists seems to get around it pretty well... though it can be rather annoying! tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2010 08:29PM by hoodadilly.
January 25, 2010 09:24PM
heres my conf and logfile guys
I rarred it up for speedy d/l
Cheers
Attachments:
open | download - myconfandlog.rar (2.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012