Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Memory bug of some kind.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Memory bug of some kind.
August 28, 2009 07:10PM
Hi. Love the new program, but there is still a really bad bug when PB freezes or even runs alongside too many other programs. It happened in PG2 too. If it's updating or anything and you try to do too much, it will freeze. Then it will not resume normal, so you have to exit and it terminates the program although the icon stays in the taskbar. If you hover over the icon, it will disappear. When you restart PB, the lists are all corrupted and it takes a few times before you can even start it. It gives that driver error/missing data/etc. Might I suggest a "Recover PB" like we had with PG2?
Re: Memory bug of some kind.
August 28, 2009 07:37PM
I really haven't seen too many issues like that recently. The taskbar-icon still showing up even though the program's gone is a Windows bug - nothing we can do about that, except fix it so that you don't need to kill the program. winking smiley I'll email a new version of the program (one which actually saves more than the most recent run worth of logs) to the email-address with which you registered your account here - if you wouldn't mind running with that, and emailing me (or posting here) a zipped copy of peerblock.log the next time you encounter some problems, that would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to resolve the bugs "for real" instead of patching around them if at all possible...

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the flakiness of the program on your machine,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
August 28, 2009 08:50PM
Buggy3000, I sent you a PM with a link to a newer version of PeerBlock if you wouldn't mind helping troubleshoot this problem you're running into. You should be able to access it via the "Private Messages" button at the top-right of the screen.

Would have sent an email but the fake email-address you registered with makes that a bit difficult... Hopefully you'll stop back by and see this message though - I'd really like to get to the bottom of whatever issue is affecting your machine.

Thanks,

---  Mark  ---

September 05, 2009 07:08PM
I've run into the problem buggy3000 mentioned above in the past with peerguardian rc1 test 2. I only started using peerblock .92 just today though so as of yet I've not had it occur with your program, but if it has carried over as buggy3000 claimed it should happen to me again soon. I wouldn't mind running this extended log version and emailing you the log. I may be able to reproduce it on purpose even if need be. Hope I can help. I loved peerguardian and have used it for years. I'm glad to see someone taking the reigns to continue making a functional ip blocker we can trust.
September 05, 2009 08:42PM
Hey I have experienced both this and one other..

If the program is left in the system tray for an indeterminate (variable ~) amount of time. With no activity on the computer The task icon will not open the main UI again and forces the need to end task...

It happens blocking and non blocking...

I think this has more to do with the UI to driver linking because it still blocks but the PeerBlock executable does not show any response. The driver once run seems to have a mind of its own and continues even if the UI stops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 08:44PM by DarC.
September 05, 2009 09:12PM
Hi crimghost, and welcome to our forums!

The changes in that version I sent to Buggy3000 should all be in our most recent "Interim Release", r131, now available from the Dev Blog.  Most important from a troubleshooting perspective is that the logfiles will stick around, instead of being overwritten every time you restart the program.  This way, the logs detailing a bug should be available even if you forget to save aside a copy and restart PeerBlock (or your computer). 

I haven't personally experienced any of these "PeerBlock is unresponsive" type issues recently, but will definitely look into it further.  Makes sense that the driver is still blocking even though the UI is hung, since they are entirely different processes.

I know that night_stalker_z just submitted a patch for another locking-contention issue, this may help with the freezing issues you guys have been seeing.  I'm reviewing the patch now...

Thanks,

---  Mark  ---

September 05, 2009 09:31PM
Yes but wasent that patch for Vista and UAC. If so then I doubt it will help with this issue. Because I have found it happening on all windows 32bit and x64 systems from XP on up. They just so rarely occur that I didn't at first think to log it as an issue...
September 07, 2009 02:29PM
Nope, I'm talking about a patch night_stalker_z attached directly to one of the bugs in our Issue Tracker. I've had a very busy week so haven't had much of a chance to spend time on PeerBlock, but will hopefully get to reviewing his changes to PeerBlock's locking scheme shortly.

---  Mark  ---

September 21, 2009 07:40PM
I'm attaching my log because I've just had a exception error while updating, (just before 8:20 pm) then another directly after clicking ok to close the first. It didn't crash peerblock completely. I've tried to repeat my steps to reproduce the same result but it only occured when there was an actual update available for one of the lists so my next step will be to close peerblock completely manually delete my lists and try to reproduce the error once i reopen it. I'm pretty sure what happened was that I clicked check updates twice accidentally (this mouse can be awfully touchy sometimes) I checked my event viewer in Windows 7 and was unable to find anything out of the ordinary from around the time it occurred or any other problems with peerblock. Let me know if I can post anything else that may help. I'll be glad to oblige. I'll update this with a screen shot of the error if I can reproduce it. Wish I had thought about that quicker.

Edit: though I aborted the autoupdate several times upon reloading peerblock in order to be able to do a manual update. I couldn't get the exception error to occur again. Will try again tomorrow when a new list is available then I will be able to perform a true manual update and might have better luck since that's how it first occured. This one is tricky though. I can't quite pinpoint the circumstances which cause it to occur.
peerblock (2).log is actually peerblock.dmp renamed as the forum didn't allow the .dmp extension.

edit: added peerblock.conf. and a screen of my list manager

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 01:06AM by crimghost.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (586.5 KB)
open | download - peerblock (2).log (32.1 KB)
open | download - peerblock.conf (9.4 KB)
open | download - blocklists.jpg (126 KB)
September 21, 2009 09:42PM
Haven't triaged the .dmp yet, but from looking at the peerblock.log file this appears it might be a problem I've previously seen when having a list URL in the List Manager twice. From the logfile, I see us attempting to update the list-file "3875799049.list" twice. I need to put some additional tracelog messages into here to help map these to actual list-URLs, but if you could verify your "list of lists" in the List Manager (and/or post your peerblock.conf file so we can take a look at it) that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

---  Mark  ---

September 23, 2009 12:12PM
I've been trying everyday, in a variety of ways and still haven't been able to get this to happen again. The instance I first mentioned was the first time I could since starting to use Peerblock which is running 24/7 here so cheers again for a very stable build in r162. I will continue to follow through on whatever you need. Immense respect to you for continuing the work being done on it. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do.
The theory i've been working with in trying to reproduce the error is that though the UI is "greyed", unclickable through the update process somehow I think I accidentally found a hole in that accounting for the dual update to the list. Should I try a different approach?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 41
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012