Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beta version r223 blocks HTTP that vers 1.0 doesn't?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Beta version r223 blocks HTTP that vers 1.0 doesn't?
January 06, 2010 10:42AM
I have a old Gateway laptop I use very little, mainly when I travel..anyway while using it with 1.0 PB stable installed side by side with my desktop which has beta r223 installed on it I noticed some websites are not blocked by 1.0 that are blocked by r223..has anyone else had this? Does it mean the r223 is better? By the way, it takes several minutes for r223 to load when the computer is rebooted, is that normal because on the other computers I notice 1.0 loads right up..zipppp . . So, any comments would be interested to know.. Thanks all! CB
Re: Beta version r223 blocks HTTP that vers 1.0 doesn't?
January 06, 2010 11:30AM
Do you have the same lists in both versions?

The beta might take a bit longer to load if it has more lists.
Anonymous User
January 06, 2010 04:44PM
Well I think so, both were set up with the lists shown when setting them up and they both update daily... sooo yea the lists would be the same unless r223 offers lists that 1.0 stable doesn't? I will check on that but pretty sure both are the same.. Thanks!
January 06, 2010 05:58PM
CiTiBoY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I think so, both were set up with the lists
> shown when setting them up and they both update
> daily... sooo yea the lists would be the same
> unless r223 offers lists that 1.0 stable doesn't?
> I will check on that but pretty sure both are the
> same.. Thanks!

the lists PB uses come from iblocklist.com so both versions can use the same lists.
January 07, 2010 06:22AM
Hi Citiboy,

As has been mentioned, the lists should be identical.

What i'm guessing has happened is that a website you were visiting had multiple IP addresses, and the lists only contain some of them (perhaps intentionally, perhaps not). when you accessed the website from the different machines, it may have connected with a different IP, hence the reason it was blocked on one computer and not the other.

If you notice this again, post the following information (for each computer), and we'll check it out:

• the "range" as stated in PB,
  • the destination IP address shown in PB
  • your config file (see [forums.peerblock.com] )

Edit: One other (probably more likely) reason for this is the IP address is in your permanent allow list on one computer, but not the other. Websites can sometimes share IPs, so you may have added the IP under a different website also. you can view your perm allow list by opening list manager, clicking the "permanent allows" list, then clicking "view".
end edit.

In regard to the difference in speed; that is quite likely to happen. When generating the cache (as PB does on startup), it can be quite CPU (processor) intensive (using a single core only). if your laptop has a slower processor, it will take longer to do this task, especially if your desktop is multi-core and your laptop is single core (which it likely is if it's older).

Cheers!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 06:33AM by hoodadilly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login