Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No Update Needed?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
No Update Needed?
January 27, 2010 04:41PM
For the last few days Peerblock has started like usual but not required any updates for both P2P and Peerblock.
Anyone else had this? is this the case? Still seems to be blocking.

Thanks

Edit: Peerblock 1.0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Edit #2: 14 people have read this thread at this point and no one has had the courtesy of at least saying yes mine has or hasn't updated, thanks- real good community spirited!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 07:29PM by BeerPlock.
Re: No Update Needed?
January 27, 2010 08:52PM
Hey now, it's only been a few hours...  And you gotta remember, we have way more anonymous lurkers than registered users here - and all those anonymous people can't comment.  Not only that, but pretty much your exact questions have already been answered in other posts.  winking smiley  I'm just sayin'...

In any event, no, we haven't released any new PeerBlock versions lately.  "Slacked off" a bit over the holidays, and some of the changes we've been working on have taken a bit longer than we'd originally hoped for to stabilize enough that we'd be comfortable public releasing them.  We're putting some finishing touches on things now, though, and hope to release a new Beta Release within a week.

Lists wise, that "No update needed" message means that PeerBlock has already checked for list-udpates recently.  In order to not hammer on iblocklist.com's servers any more than we are already, PeerBlock will only check for list updates once every 24 hours automatically, or no more often than once every 12 hours if you click the "Check Updates" button manually.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
January 28, 2010 03:10AM
Hi there!

The same here. Even so according the "run->cmd->ping 3.0.0.0" the PB works, there was "No update needed" for the last 2 days or so, which kind of is strange, since there was a new fresh update at least once a day for the last 2month.

Greeting
__Lenka
January 28, 2010 12:37PM
The "No update needed" message means that PeerBlock isn't even going to attempt to check for updated lists, because we've already checked within the past 12 hours.  This is in contrast with "No update available", which means that the list-file on the server hasn't changed since the last time PeerBlock downloaded it.  If you're seeing "No update needed" messages, that probably means that the automatic list-updating feature has run recently (every 24 hours by default).

For example, let's say that PeerBlock last automatically checked for updated lists at 11:00PM on Wednesday Night.  On Thursday Morning at 9AM, you click the "Check Updates" button.  Since the automatic update went on only 10 hours ago - less than the 12-hour minimum - it will display "No update needed".  The automatic-update will kick in again at 11PM Thursday night.

Following this example, at 7PM Friday night you exit PeerBlock, then start it up again at 8PM.  Presuming that you have the "Update at Startup" option enabled, PeerBlock will go to check for lists.  Since it last checked for updates at 11PM , 21 hours have passed since the last update - more than the 12-hour minimum - so it will check for updates.  It will then note that it last checked for updates at 8PM on Friday, so the automatic update-checking will next run at 8PM on Saturday.

To continue even further, at 9AM on Saturday you disable the "Update at Startup" option and then exit PeerBlock.  You next start it up at 10AM on Monday.  When it starts up PeerBlock sets up its automatic-update timer, and as part of this notices that 62 hours have passed since it last checked for updates at 8PM on Friday, so it automatically checks for list updates and schedules the next automatic update-check for 10AM Tuesday.  If you restart PeerBlock or click the Check Updates button within the next 12 hours - i.e. before 10PM Tuesday - you will again get a "No update needed" message.

Make sense?

That's how it's supposed to work anyhow.  We have a bug in there which causes us to not update the "Last checked for updates" timestamp stuff when you manually click Check Updates or when PeerBlock Updates at Startup, which can result in double-updates sometimes when you start . . . and kinda screws up the whole example above.  However I still think the above example shows how/why you may be seeing these "No update needed" messages - PeerBlock has automatically-updated too recently.  And the above behavior should be 100% correct after we fix that bug.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
January 28, 2010 08:51PM
Mmmmm, well I changed update form every day to every 3 days and I have not re-started PB for over 3 days so that rules out updating on start up, I have been checking manually for the last 72hrs and I still get the "No update needed" message on both P2P and PB, so your telling me the P2P list hasn't had anything added to it for over 2 days? if so OK, but I think not.
Let me know if that's the case and I will do a fresh install.

btw PB says/ 2 Lists: 2 up-to-date - 0 failed updating - 0 disabled: last updated Friday, January 29 2010, I know it didnt update because I was watching!

Thanks for the reply Mark
January 28, 2010 09:34PM
Could you post your peerblock.log and peerblock.conf files so we can take a look at them?  If it's not operating as per the above then there may in fact be a bug in there somewhere, looking into those files would be the best way to get info out of it.

Thanks,

---  Mark  ---

P.S.  Also, the P2P list-authors - a group known as Bluetack - had gone for a few weeks back in December without actually adding any ranges to the lists.  In fact, they had actually been flagging the lists as updated even though they didn't appear to be . . . so people were getting confused because PeerBlock was downloading "updated" lists, yet the total number of Blocked IPs wasn't changing.  At all.  For weeks.  It happens, I guess...  Not sure that's necessarily what you're seeing - it should be showing up as "No update available" instead of "No update needed" I think - but it is a possibility.

Anonymous User
January 29, 2010 05:27AM
Sorry Mark, too late...... I couldn't wait, needed to be sure PB was working 100%, so I did a fresh install / PB 1.0 + Beta (r223)
P2P + Spyware.

Updated as expected at first run will post back and let you know if it carries on updating as usual.

Thanks
Anonymous User
January 31, 2010 05:52AM
Hi Mark,

thank you for the detailed explanation which makes this whole "update maddness" a bit understandable :-)

I have set the PB update at the startup (got it also in autostart) and for the last 2 month it didn't show the behavior you have described above. It was updating daily and then just stopped, without me changing anything. All in all it's been few days in a row (definitely more than 72hours), always just said "no update needed".

Just as an information: as of yesterday it works fine again. Haven't done anything to the settings, also didn't re-install.
Anonymous User
January 31, 2010 10:46AM
Had no problems with updating since I installed the beta version.

Everything is running smooth now,

Thanks,
Warby
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login