Advanced

List Verification Failed: 0 Elements

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
List Verification Failed: 0 Elements
January 28, 2010 01:58AM
yes i did search.

hi, i keep getting list verification failed 0 elements,
I install peer block and all updates rather well the first few times, but then it will just randomly give me this error..

so i go and uninstall it, re-install and it updates just fine... then after a few times it will start acting up.

so i went to the latest beta release, hoping that it would fix the problem, it hasn't...
i have already tried deleting the programs file folder"then installed the beta build"

i am running windows 7 starter "e Machines net book"
i have a cpuz report if needed just in case,

a side note. i was using peer block for about a half a year on vista without a hiccup.

any help is appreciated!
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled.png (69.6 KB)
Re: List Verification Failed: 0 Elements
January 28, 2010 06:27PM
Hi rusty,

There are a number of things that can cause this, but the most common is when 'something' you use cannot access the file, and responds with a webpage error, rather than the proper error code. OpenDNS has been known to do this, along with some modems (i'm not sure which ones).

OpenDNS is by far the worst for this, they have been known to block access to certain websites such as iblocklist.com if you use their service to hide "proxy" websites. this will cause this error.

Just to be sure this is the case, could you please upload your peerblock.log file, as per this thread: [forums.peerblock.com] ?

Once we've confirmed this is the case, we'll suggest a way to fix this problem.

Cheers!
Anonymous User
January 28, 2010 09:43PM
hi hoodadilly,
and thank you for the help.. i don't have open DNS so i do not think that is the issue at hand, i am running dd-wrt firmware on my wireless router. the dns is through a regular isp. i have attached my log in a 7-zip archive, i hope you do not mind.. i updated today and all went well, but i tried again tonight and it is throwing the error out once again. i really appreciate the help!

when i went to find the log file all i saw was a text file which is the one attached, when i opened it up it stated start log. so i figured that was the correct file. if it is not please let me know so that i can correct the issue!

once again,
thank you for all the help.

always... Rusty
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.7z (10.3 KB)
January 29, 2010 02:45AM
Ok i see here:
[1/28/2010] [16:58:12.697] [02960]  [UpdateThread] [_Process]    successfully contacted URL; code:[200]
[1/28/2010] [16:58:12.697] [02960]  [UpdateThread] [_Process]    Newly downloaded list failed verification: has 0 elements!!

This indicates that it found the list, however the list was not valid.

again, it seems as if there is something that is returning a "error webpage" instead of an actual error code.

The next time the lists fail to update, try manually downloading a list, by downloading the file here: [list.iblocklist.com]

This is the URL of the default ads list.

Depending on your browser, it should either display a long list of IPs and names (for example:
ads.herald-sun.com ads:4.18.162.102-4.18.162.102
), or give you the option to download a file called "bt_ads.gz", in which case download the file (you can delete it afterwards).

What i'm suspecting however, is that this file will not display/download, and the 'error' page will display, giving you more information about what caused this. if it does, please take a screenshot and post it here, and we'll see what we can do about it.

Cheers!
Anonymous User
January 29, 2010 01:43PM
ok, so i clicked the file the first time and the extensive list of ip's appeared so i closed out the tab in Firefox. re-clicked the link and it came up as an option to download the file, and it downloaded successfully... so i tried clicking the link again and it, again became an option to download the file. I transferred all of my extensions, options etc. from my previous machine to this new machine via MozBackup. so it should recognize any file extension .. even .tar.bz... i am not having any problems right now, i changed some settings so i think it might have fixed it. i will report back in a few days unless i am still having troubles...
January 29, 2010 05:57PM
Ok rusty, glad it's working for you!
Anonymous User
January 30, 2010 10:21AM
well i ran it this morning, and it did it again, so i am going to try running it as an admin from startup and run in compatibility with windows vista service pack two.. before i decided to do that i added the list url to peer block and it didn't show up at all confused smiley but the list cache showed up after i added it....
January 30, 2010 06:48PM
Hmm...

ok, the next time it fails try doing this again: [forums.peerblock.com]

Also, have you allowed PB through your firewall?
Anonymous User
January 30, 2010 11:58PM
yes, i have allowed it through the firewall.. i re-read that last post, when i received this machine; i immediately disabled all "built in features" for example, internet explorer, windows media player, etc.. do you think that this is what may be causing the problem? i am getting the error message again, so what i am going to do is re-enable what i think might be causing the problem and see if this will fix it.. wish me luck xD

edited for spelling! ~_~;

edit #2 just re-enabled all features, still no dice >.>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 12:49AM by rusty.
January 31, 2010 03:53AM
Hmm... ok now i'm really not sure what is causing the problem.

windows features should be unrelated to PeerBlock (it includes everything it requires to run), the only thing i can see that would cause this is a device / program sending a webpage response to an error, incorrectly along with a "200" code (which means everything is ok).

Other than trying to download the list again whilst the error is occuring in peerblock i honestly can't suggest anything else to help diagnose this issue. (it is very important that you try to download the file at the same time you are seeing the error in peerblock.)

I'll leave this up to one of the developers to have a look and see if there is anything i've missed.

Sorry i haven't been much help sad smiley
Anonymous User
January 31, 2010 09:28AM
dont beat yourself up tongue sticking out smiley i really appreciated that you tried to help me, ^^ i'll just have to wait and see what the developers say xD
February 01, 2010 12:18PM
Unfortunately, it's currently pretty difficult to troubleshoot "List Failed Verification" errors.  Hopefully we'll soon get to resolving Issue #157, and save aside a copy of these failed files for later analysis. 

Sorry we don't have a better answer for you at this point,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
February 02, 2010 08:59AM
it's alright mark, i understand what you mean completely, and i really appreciate everything that you do smiling smiley but i do have a question.. is it safe to use any p2p programs e.x. emule,torrents etc; ? i was waiting for my laptop cooler to arrive from newegg before i started these services.... thanks!

edit: what i mean is, is it still blocking said i.p. addresses, i realize it is never "safe" to p2p xD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 09:06AM by rusty.
February 02, 2010 09:35AM
Heya rusty.

I would've pointed you to this page (link: [www.peerblock.com] ), but seems as you figured it out yourself, I'll point you to this page instead (link: [www.peerblock.com] ).
February 02, 2010 11:02AM
Well, so long as PeerBlock was able to download a list at some point, it will use that old(er) blocklist until it's able to successfully download a new one.  That's kinda the whole point of the "list verification" stuff, since some people had ended up downloading non-list lists for some reason and the original code was overwriting the "good" version with this version that had no IP address ranges in it.  So yes, you should be at least relatively well-protected.

One thing you could do to work around this bug would be to manually download the lists from e.g. iblocklist.com, and add them to PeerBlock as "file based lists".  Download the .gz file from iblocklist.com, open it with a program such as WinZip or 7zip, and extract the file within it into some directory (C:\Program Files\PeerBlock\lists would probably be a good place...)  Rename the file to have a .p2p extension, and then add the list from within the PeerBlock List Manager. 

A rather painful process, I know, but that should at least get you up-and-running with a newer version of whatever lists you're using.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
February 02, 2010 10:23PM
tippy, mark thank you for the quick replies, i appologise for not being able to reply sooner.. i have went to cmd prompt and all is well, and i patiently await for the next beta/stable release. Once again, thank you all.. for your help and generosity smiling smiley

have a wonderful day,

--rusty
Anonymous User
February 19, 2010 02:45PM
I had this same problem and solved it. I noticed that when adding the lists from the iBlock website the link title on the left is not giving the exact same link as when you copy from the right side where the link is written out in full. It's close but if you copy the url from the highlighted title on the left it adds the following "list.php?" in the middle of every url. Where the full written out url does not have this. Tried it both ways with out that bit of text all lists update fine. With it they all pup up with that verification error.
Anonymous User
February 23, 2010 12:49PM
well, since the latest beta i have not had any more trouble :/ thanks for trying to help anyways grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login