Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pesty Error

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Pesty Error
January 28, 2010 09:38PM
Hi trying to upgrade to peer block from peer guardian because i heard its better but can t because of this pesty error -

" Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item "

Tryed the normal repairs and nothing helps can't dl a bloody thing, restore, safe mode , turn ing off UAC, sign in as admin , used malwarebytes and Ccleaner and Crap cleaner and so far nothing helps ! ! Using Vista HP 32 bit and ie 7.0 and tryed google and maxthron broswers didn t help at all . . Maybe rebuild ie or Vista but not sure how; need big time help here hopefully fast . . .

Any fixs out their - thanks a bunch grrrrr . .
Re: Pesty Error
January 28, 2010 11:01PM
this error has to do with Admin rights. Are you logged is as an Administrator? Also could you post a screenshot of this error message? Check out [imageshack.us] and post the link it gives you here.
Anonymous User
January 28, 2010 11:59PM
Dang crap can t post in imageskack.us can t see how to post text their and yes signed in as Administrator and the normal log in their (UAC) wish i could shoot who ever invented that is grayed out so can t try using that - any fix's out their ! ? - thanks . .
January 29, 2010 08:47AM
Loserhere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> any fix's out their ! ?

No, as per our conversation on IRC last night, we're still having difficulty even understanding your problem in the first place.

To sum up what I think was happening based on IRC: you downloaded the installer .exe, but can't run it because you get the above error code whenever you try.  You cannot right-click on the Installer .exe and select "Run as Admin", as that option doesn't even appear for you.  Does that sound about right?

The error message you're getting is Windows telling you that you don't have the necessary permissions to run the file you're attempting to run.  This is a Windows issue, not a PeerBlock issue.  If your user account did not have Admin rights to the machine, this would make sense.  Barring that, it's tough to guess as to what your problem may be.  You might have more luck posting your question to a site that specializes in Windows issues, though some of our IT / SysAdmin type guys might be able to come up with some suggestions when they get a chance.

Good luck,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
January 29, 2010 06:04PM
Hi Loserhere,

The only time i've ever seen that error and "run as admin" hasn't worked is when running an installer from a place you have limited rights to.

one last resort; make sure the installer is in a location you have full rights to, such as 'my documents'. don't use say "C:\Downloads".

if that doesn't work, try what make said and head to a windows forum of some sort.

I hope you get it resolved soon!

Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login