Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lists not updating, timed out?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Lists not updating, timed out?
February 01, 2010 07:19PM
Only been using PeerBlock for a few days now. When first setting up the lists updated fine, but now they're just timing out. Been like this for a few days. Posted screenshot.

Is this a problem on my end or yours? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. :-)
Attachments:
open | download - PeerBlock.jpg (236.9 KB)
Anonymous User
Re: Lists not updating, timed out?
February 01, 2010 11:36PM
Also attaching a log.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.2010-02-02.log (33.4 KB)
Anonymous User
February 01, 2010 11:43PM
I tried manually downloading the list as explained on another thread, and it downloaded the file fine.. if that helps troubleshoot anything.
Anonymous User
February 02, 2010 06:25AM
53 views and no replies... I take it that means no one has a clue.

I didn't see any other threads about this particular issue, but reading through some others it appears that PeerBlock doesn't play well with Windows 7 64 bit. Oh well, it was worth a try and works great on XP Pro 32 bit (dual boot system).
February 02, 2010 08:19AM
Since your browser can reach iblocklist.com but PeerBlock can't, the problem is likely your firewall blocking peerblock.exe from reaching the Internet.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
February 02, 2010 05:47PM
Which would all make sense, except that I have no firewall enabled on Win 7. I have Zone Alarm installed and enabled on XP and that works fine. Obviously nothing in the modem changes from 1 OS to the other on a dual boot system, so its not those settings either. But I appeciate your reply. :-)
February 02, 2010 07:26PM
Hmm, I take it you've explicitly disabled the built-in Windows Firewall too?  Honestly, that's the only thing I can think of that would explain PeerBlock getting a "Connection time-out" error while attempting to contact list-servers.  Barring that, something on your machine is preventing PeerBlock from connecting to the Internet...

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
February 02, 2010 08:09PM
MarkSide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm, I take it you've explicitly disabled the
> built-in Windows Firewall too?  Honestly, that's
> the only thing I can think of that would explain
> PeerBlock getting a "Connection time-out" error
> while attempting to contact list-servers. 
> Barring that, something on your machine is
> preventing PeerBlock from connecting to the
> Internet...
>
>         ---  Mark 
> ---

Yes, first thing we do with every OS is disable the Windows firewall and Windows Defender. We have a Drayton 2820Vn modem, which has a very good firewall in it that we use. But like I say, since it works fine on my XP I doubt it would block anything from Win 7 on the same machine. And it seems to be updating fine on my wife's Win 7, same OS and network.

I have a fair bit of AV/Anti-Spyware software (AVG 9 Suite SBS Edition, Malwarebytes Pro, CounterSpy 3.0) on this machine and they're all updating fine. So yes, strikes me as strange too, unless one of them is blocking the IP but I have disabled IP Protection in Malb just in case that was causing the issue. I might try to reinstall later to see if that helps.

Thanks again for the replies. :-)
Anonymous User
February 02, 2010 11:53PM
Just as an update.. I uninstalled PB removing lists and settings, rebooted, and installed it again. Once again it took right off downloading the lists. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, but appears to be fine for now. Must have been a glitch of some sort. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login