Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what are the best lists for p2p

Posted by CooloutAC 
what are the best lists for p2p
February 03, 2010 09:50PM
right now i just have the basic lists all checked in peerblock, also 2 lists from sabmx ive used for years when i used to use for winmx...it got carried over from my pg2 when updatiing to peerblock... but is there any other lists i should be adding when doing p2p?,,, mostly torrents i use nowadays. i looked at iblocklist.com, but theres so many lists i don't know which ones to use.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 09:55PM by CooloutAC.
Re: what are the best lists for p2p
February 04, 2010 12:09AM
level 1 it has all the jerks from Corp Americo it it... Muhahahahaha!
February 04, 2010 02:50AM
"bad peers" and "fake TPB torrents" are essential for torrenting in my opinion, "primary threats" could be good for you too, read all of iblocklist.com's lists descriptions and choose which ones deem necessary for yourself, i myself have 14 lists, which reminds me i should go check for new lists soon.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
February 04, 2010 07:50AM
First off, let me urge you to read our Does this mean my P2P downloading is completely safe now? FAQ.

Other than that, selection of lists is very much a personal preference.  Many of the lists recommended already can be helpful to "protect" you against people wanting to monitor your P2P use.  The "Education" list is generally meant to be used by people on a school network connection, who want to prevent the local campus network admins from spying too much on their activity.  Some other of my personal favorite lists include the DCHA Pedophile list which blocks machines known to share that sort of crap; the Atma, DShield, and Hacker lists which include IP addresses of many known "hacker" computers; Level2 / Level3 depending on how paranoid you are; you can even run one of the Country blocklists to prevent all users from certain countries from connecting to your machine.  And you can enable/disable lists at will, for example only keeping level2 and level3 activated while you're actively torrenting, and Atma/Dshield/Hacker active 24x7.

The thing to remember, though, is that in addition to blocking some "bad guys", each list likely is blocking some number of "innocent bystanders" too, so using too many blocklists could seriously hamper your Internet/bittorrent usage.  Also some of the lists are generally intended to be used as Allow lists, such as the Steam / EA / Blizzard lists which let you make sure you can connect to a company's servers for game-playing purposes.

So honestly, the best thing to do really would be to take the time and research all of the list options available to you, and decide which ones suit your needs best.  Otherwise, just remember that other people's list suggestions - my own included - are simply those people's opinions, and that what works well for one person may not necessarily work well for you.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
February 04, 2010 09:57AM
thanks for the replies.... pretty cool. I didn't know there was a steam and EA list too neat. and i will do like you said have the certain lists only active when torrenting thanks.

so assume level 1 and ads and spyblock already in cluded in the default lists?, which is why when i add the url nothing in the list appears?

but i added almost all that seem important... besides Level 3 and IANA. i got about 20lists, including default lists and Dshield, Level 2, Proxy, Bad peers, Faker, Hacker, Bogon, primary threats, ATMA,

thanks.

Is IANA useful? i'm afraid to add to many lists cause i thought maybe it would start slowing down my pc or taking up memory? and the level 3 and IANA seem like they would be blocking a bundle. If so would deleteing the history every day help? thanks.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 11:03AM by CooloutAC.
February 04, 2010 10:36AM
Heya CooloutAC.

The PeerBlock's default P2P list is same as bluetack's level 1 in iblocklist. So it's advised for you to not use the level 1 list, if you have P2P activated.
February 04, 2010 11:03AM
thanks Tippy.
February 04, 2010 01:35PM
i myself am blocking over 2.6 billion ip's and my torrenting/connection is still very fast, if your going to do alot of torrenting id suggest getting the "fake TPB" list too, TPB (the pirate bay) was recently bought out and is handing over torrenting records for prosecutions.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 49
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012