Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

peerblock or utorrent causes pc to go offline

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
peerblock or utorrent causes pc to go offline
February 09, 2010 10:04PM
hi there, either peer block or utorrent are causing my pc to go offline ,it happens after about an hour or so of downloading, if i reeboot the pc it still does not go back online ,i also have to reeboot the modem and router ,then it is ok for another hour or so then the same will happen again ,i am using win 7 64 bit at the moment but it also did this when i ran xp. any ideas , thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2010 04:18AM by crosstowntraffic.
Anonymous User
Re: peerblock or utorrent causes pc to go offline
February 10, 2010 04:21AM
anybody please
February 10, 2010 04:53AM
To be honest, it sounds like a router problem.  Could be that your router is overheating, or that there's some resource leak in the firmware for it or something.  Might want to look into reviews for your router on e.g. newegg.com to see if others have experienced similar problems . . . and while you're there, look into picking up a newer, better router.

Good luck,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
February 10, 2010 05:16AM
thanks for your reply markside ,yes will do what you suggest .just to add , it dosn`t do this while i am surfin the net ,just when i use peer block and utorrent to download. by the way my router is a belkin, if that sheds any light. thanks
Anonymous User
February 10, 2010 05:16PM
I have the same setup (windows 7 64, utorrent, belkin router) mentioned by the OP and the same issue, it would seem. I believe the problem to be with Peerblock because I did not experience this issue before I began using it. For me, the disconnect usually happens a little quicker than an hour into the download. The only list I have checked in PB is the P2P one. A reboot of my cable modem (just the modem, not the router) allows me to reconnect. I am, as we speak, downloading without Peerblock running and not having any disconnect issues.
February 10, 2010 06:32PM
It could be that since PeerBlock is blocking packet transmission, the sources keeps re-sending (a common procedure when a packet fails to be delivered) until it give up. Thus causing the router to malfunction from so many connection attempt. Just a thought.
February 10, 2010 09:35PM
Given that once the router gets into a "broken" state that state persists even after rebooting your machine, the router is definitely at fault.  Sounds like PeerBlock could be exacerbating the problem, but it's tough to say what that problem is.  I have a Trendset router, which under the default firmware had many issues handling too much traffic - this would result in dropped packets, and sometimes loss of internet connection.  One of the issues many people had reported was that this particular router had airflow problems, such that when the processor inside it was doing too much it would start to overheat.  This is one reason I recommended reading up what people say about your specific router - it's possible that installing a new firmware rev could fix it, or drilling some holes in the router's case to improve airflow, etc.

The "retry because connection failed" theory is be an interesting one.  I could definitely see something like that happening, thereby causing your router to do much more processing than it would otherwise need to.  If, say, the processor is in fact overheating when it becomes overly stressed, then all these additional retry packets could in fact be pushing it over the edge.

If you guys would like to post your peerblock.log and peerblock.conf files as per the Known Issues thread, I'd be happy to quickly go over them to make sure they show no smoking guns on our end . . . but I really can't imagine anything we're doing that should cause a router to have problems.  PeerBlock operates only on the local machine, allowing/blocking packets as per your configured lists.  The only time it sends out any network traffic itself is once per 24 hours (or longer, depending on your configuration) when it checks for updates.  Given that the problem only appears to occur while you're downloading via uTorrent though it doesn't sound like our update-checking is at fault.

Not trying to pass the buck here, but I really have no idea how we could be doing anything to screw up the router.  Must be some kind of side effect of our blocking connections, whether it's Tippy's theory or some other.  That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
February 10, 2010 09:40PM
thanks for your replys, went off today i re-booted my router and it then worked ok ,i didn`t have this problem with peer guardian before, but i did have another problem with peerguardian, but off hand i can`t remember what it was ,.might have another go with peerguardian,or try updating router see what happens.thanks
fxm
February 10, 2010 10:53PM
MarkSide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> some kind of side effect of our blocking connections

FWIW: the router/modem hardware installed by the cable company worked fine for three years. Then, after at least two connection speed upgrades, I began to have problems exactly as described by the OP. The symptom was clearly traffic-related and may have involved overheating [of the modem in particular].

When I left upload speed uncapped in uTorrent, the connection would invariably die in less than 15 minutes. If I set the upload limit at 100K, the connection would live for an hour or so. Further lowering the limit (to the verge of unusability) would allow the connection to remain open for a few hours, but never as long as overnight.

New hardware from Best Buy completely eliminated the problems, immediately and painlessly - so painlessly that I regretted the time I had spent testing and looking for other possible solutions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 04:29PM by fxm.
Anonymous User
February 12, 2010 05:31AM
LOL this whole issue is funny. I have allllll brand new equipement. Everything is setup perfectly without a doubt. Now before I downloaded peerblock and installed it. I had "NO" internet connection issues. None what so ever. "Period." I can't stress that enough. After I installed it I to have been having the same issue left and right with internet connection dropping. If I restart my pc without peerblock running. Everything is just fine. Perfect in fact. With my pc restarted and once I start up peerblock. Within 30 or so I lose my internet thoroughly. So after some basic testing I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely peerguardian. Guys I love what your doing with this program and I fully support it. I only say these things to help you maybe look over it again and see why were all having this issue. One or two people I would say it's just theme. But all of us and some of my friends here in my home town. I would say software issue. Sad face for it fully not working yet.---> sad smiley Happy face for constructive criticism.---> smiling smiley
February 12, 2010 04:33PM
theres three possibilities to consider,

1. PB is on and running but since its blocking packets and those packets are in fact just being re-sent indefinitely that could be causing the overload of your modem.

2. your new modem is a pos, i hope not but even brand new stuff can be paper weights. id search for forums for your new modem and see what the reviews are and potential problems, maybe even this one.

and lastly,

3. PB dont like you grinning smiley, just kidding. i cant say it is PB since it is only happening to you and your friends on a local area and not spread out nationally or internationally. if the above doesnt work for you then tinker with settings from both PB and utorrent, you gotta remember now with any ip blocking program its gonna increase workload for your modem.

good luck.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login