Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do I need to be logged in for Peerblock to run ???

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Do I need to be logged in for Peerblock to run ???
February 11, 2010 06:27PM
Do I need to be logged into a console session for peerblock to run or will it continue to run if I'm logged out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 06:41PM by meanmotorscooter.
Re: Do I need to be logged in for Peerblock to run ???
February 12, 2010 04:06AM
Well, I guess the answer is "it depends".

The crux of the issue is that PeerBlock only runs as an application, not as a Windows service.  Especially because the GUI is so tightly interwoven with the core code, this is currently difficult to separate out.  This means that it cannot start with Windows startup, really, only with user logon.  So if you're trying to get it to run on system start on, say, a headless system, you'll need to do some funkier stuff to sorta/kinda get it to run wrapped as a service.

That said, once you've been logged in, so long as you fast-user-switch out - not officially logout - PeerBlock should continue running under your user account. 

The other issue is that we really don't well support multi-user systems right now.  So if you log in and start up PeerBlock under your user account, then fast-user-switch out and some other user logs in, that other user will not be able to launch their own instance of the PeerBlock UI to for example Temporarily Allow HTTP or anything.  This is a problem for me, as my wife and kids are always getting annoyed at using my machine since I leave HTTP blocked unless I'm doing some random (blocked) websurfing.

We do plan to change this in the PeerBlock 2.0 timeframe, but that's aways out at this point - probably 6-9 months from a Beta.

Hope that helps.  If you have more questions, or can clarify your specific use-case a bit, let us know.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
Re: Do I need to be logged in for Peerblock to run ???
February 12, 2010 05:20AM
Thanks. My intention is to run it on a server which doesn't normally have a user logged into it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login