Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crashes and tests on Vista Ult 64

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Crashes and tests on Vista Ult 64
February 21, 2010 06:06AM
Hello,

Some.... time ago, I have posted here about crashes I've been experiencing on the abovementioned OS with PeerBlock.
I have also promised to run tests and submit the crash dump.
First - sorry for taking ages to post a follow-up on this matter.
Second - I have indeed run a few tests, though it had taken me some time to muster my spirit and submit my system to said crashes. It crashed three times, no minidump was produced during the tests.
So now I'm not using PeerBlock, though I would very much like to.
Vista.... is not as bad as I have initially believed (remembering that it's still an M$ product), especially with all the service packs, but it is has it's frogups. Well....

Anyways, what I know for sure is that there is some friction between your soft and my version of Vista.
64 bit systems have many compatibility issues in general.....

I don't know why no crash dump is created when it happens. Did everything you told me, followed the instructions on that M$ page to the letter (with the exception of the pagefile location - not enough room for it on my C: drive).

And that's it, I guess.
R>
Re: Crashes and tests on Vista Ult 64
February 21, 2010 06:50AM
Heya rodent.

I'm sorry to hear you experiencing this problem. I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest, but I'm sure someone more technical savvy on the use of Vista would be able to help and guide you.

I think it's just the matter of opinnion, but I think Vista isn't that bad. People who are used to Windows XP, where basically all administrative controls were available, sometimes find it difficult to adapt to Vista, where most of the access to administrative controls and features were dependant on what Vista version you have. Also the new introduced user access control feature sometimes hinders user experience.
February 21, 2010 12:24PM
sorry to hear its crashing on you, very odd since i too run vista 64x with no problems, it may be that i have home premium service pack 2 and you have ultimate but i dont know. if you could just to give our devs another shot at seeing whats wrong could you post your PB log, .conf, and dmp file here? thanks and good luck.

another question would be, what version of PB are you trying to run? have you tried ALL versions yet?

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 12:26PM by brandonjm8.
Anonymous User
March 20, 2010 06:20PM
Hello again,

I've recently downloaded the latest PB release and installed it again on my machine.
Been running it day & night for over a week, with uTorrent & eMule running with no problems.
I guess whatever it was, it is gone now. Maybe some weird clash, I dunno.
But PB seems to perform perfectly well with my Vista Ult64.

BTW - I always get the most feature rich version of an OS. Professional with XP, Ultimate with Vista, and soon Windows 7.
Wanna be able to fiddle with everything : )

R>
March 20, 2010 09:59PM
glad to hear its working for you.

if it happens again remember to post your PB log and .conf and any dmp. files prior to un-installing and/or re-installing so that if it is a bug our devs can find it, other than that got me fingers crossed for ya.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
March 20, 2010 11:53PM
Thanks mate, will, certainly, do.

H>
Anonymous User
March 26, 2010 01:15AM
Well,

My machine has crashed again. Be it fair or not, I have concluded that since PB had been running each and every time my system crashed in the past 4-6 months, and since my system has not crashed when it wasn't running, PB is now banned from my computer.

No crash dump has been created. My machine simply froze, and the only apparent way out of it was a hard reset.
I will gladly post any logs and configuration files, if you just tell me where they are located.

Microsoft sucks, Micro$oft is evil, and until I & my ADHD have the courage to brave the perils of the most horrifying Debian documentation, I am forced to suffer in silence.

Dear PB developers and testers: this poor servant of chaos wishes you well, hopes you overcome, but can offer you no assistance in your struggle.

R>
March 26, 2010 03:42AM
c://program(files)/peerblock by default, one will say peerblock.conf and the other the log will just say peerblock but be in text format (usually, it has for me). there should also be a .dmp file within the PB folder.

after you post that hopefully our devs will be able to see whats causing these rare but frequent system freezes, it appears your lucky to get a week out of it between freezes, perhaps a necessary evil if in fact in works perfect for 5-6 days then need only restart machine when freezes but i it is a pain, something to consider, good luck.

March 27, 2010 06:59PM
Long shot here but is your Windows set to write a small memory dump file in the Startup & Recovery options?

Drivers for the NIC & Wi-Fi up to date?

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
April 06, 2010 09:01AM
Hmm, silly question but did you end up looking into whether you had Driver Verifier active or not?  As I'd mentioned in your previous thread, this is the cause of most of our OS crashes...

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
April 23, 2010 05:59AM
Hi,

Sorry about the delayed response.
I've checked Driver Verifier the first time someone here had suggested it - it was off, still off.
During those crashes no memory dump was being created.

I've attached the log & config files to this post.

R>
Attachments:
open | download - PeerBlock.rar (6.9 KB)
May 07, 2010 09:46AM
Unfortunately, without being able to get Windows to generate a .dmp file when it crashes, there's really nothing we can do to track this problem down. sad smiley The peerblock.log file shows us what's happening from an application standpoint, but nothing from the driver - and even if it did, it wouldn't be able to capture whatever even caused the OS to crash. We need an OS .dmp for that.

Not sure why so many people have reported problems getting Windows to create .dmp files when it crashes. If anyone's able to figure out why their unable to, and can provide a workaround for what they did to fix it, that would be greatly appreciated. Might be worth posting for help to one of the Microsoft forums, then reporting back here when/if they're able to figure it out?

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login