Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing URL for default lists

Posted by fxm 
fxm
Changing URL for default lists
February 27, 2010 12:00PM
It appears that the URL associated with another default button now points to a dead list. This makes at least 2 out of 4.
I was under the impression that "friendly URLs" were now somewhere in the GUI but if they are, I can't find them (r .277).
I fixed the last one by disabling the default and adding a custom pointing the new URL.
This time I'm wondering whether there is an easier way.
If there isn't, there should be smiling smiley
Re: Changing URL for default lists
March 01, 2010 08:08AM
Hmm, not sure what you mean by this...

All four of the Default List URLs are working for me: P2P, Spyware, Advertising, and Education.  They update, download, pass list-verification, etc.  What issues are causing you to label them "dead lists"?

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
fxm
March 01, 2010 10:37AM
MarkSide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> All four of the Default List URLs are working for
> me: P2P, Spyware, Advertising, and Education. 

This
[list.iblocklist.com]
was the original problem.

When that stopped updating I deselected it and added what may well be the same content with a different name
[list.iblocklist.com]
as a custom list.

Your reply caused me to look into the matter further. It turns out that my firewall [Sunbelt Personal] has a blocking feature aimed at "ads" which stupidly triggers on that URL. [This feature has always existed, but the "Advertising" default stopped working only recently,so I assume that the URL changed sometime in the beta stream] I now recognize that other posters here with the same error message may well be using the same firewall..

Here is where it gets interesting. When I re-selected the [x] Advertising default, the next update attempt got "serious" errors
[3/1/2010] [10:54:00.958] [06112]  [UpdateThread] [_Process]    found list var; no new program version found
[3/1/2010] [10:54:01.864] [06112]  [UpdateThread] [_Process]    response code: [200]
[3/1/2010] [10:54:01.864] [06112]  [UpdateThread] [_Process]    successfully contacted URL; code:[200]
[3/1/2010] [10:54:01.864] [06112]      vvvv  EXCEPTION!!  vvvv
[3/1/2010] [10:54:01.864] [06112]  An exception occured!

Please report this error, including all information that follows, to the PeerBlock team at [forums.peerblock.com].  Thank you for helping us improve PeerBlock!

Build Number: 31002090277
File: .\updatelists.cpp
Line: 647
Type: class zip_error

[3/1/2010] [10:54:01.864] [06112]      ^^^^  EXCEPTION!!  ^^^^

I'm reasonably sure that the reason is - mostly - the firewall. Instead of the list PB is expecting, the response is the following single line of text
Ad blocked here by SPF.

There was another [temporary] side-effect. When the first exception occurred, the next two lists also failed to update (and threw the same exception message).

I then de-selected the problem list, did an update, then re-selected it, and updated again. [Of course the timer prevented any of these from actually doing anything, and there were no further exceptions,]

Instead of crashing, the "pr0n" list has now reverted to "List verification failed" (which is where this all started for me) and the innocent bystander lists have reverted to "No update needed" (from looking as though they had also crashed).

At this point [after I deal with SPF] I am left with only one mystery: I wonder why the unexpected content sometimes causes the full-blown exception and sometimes [almost all the time in fact] quietly reports "List verification failed".
fxm
March 01, 2010 10:41AM
fxm Wrote:

> I was under the impression that "friendly URLs"
> were now somewhere in the GUI but if they are, I
> can't find them (r .277).

In addition to my lengthy message above, I'd like to repeat that question.
March 01, 2010 08:51PM
Interesting...

The list should in fact only be failing with a "list verification failed" error, since it legitimately doesn't contain any IP address ranges in this case.  Not sure why we'd occasionally explode when we attempt to analyze that file, or why that explosion would affect other files as well - very strange.  As soon as I get my XP VM up-and-running again I'll try installing that firewall and see if I can repro the problem(s).

As far as the "Friendly URLs" go, all the URLs that show up in the "Add URL" dropdown list (when adding a new list via the List Manager) should be the Friendly URL versions.  And actually, we really should be removing the "Default Lists" from that dropdown list anyways...

Oh, and yes, those two list URLs you'd mentioned are in fact the same list.  I know that for awhile there Bluetack had stopped updating their lists - not sure whether they truly are or not anymore.  For me, the only times I've had problems contacting those list URLs have been the two times in recent history that iblocklist.com was down for one reason or another for a few hours . . . and fakhir (the guy who runs iblocklist.com) assures me that he's gone to great lengths to prevent those kinds of problems from occurring again.

Hm, anything else I forgot to reply to?  winking smiley

---  Mark  ---

fxm
March 02, 2010 05:14AM
MarkSide Wrote:

> As far as the "Friendly URLs" go, all the URLs
> that show up in the "Add URL" dropdown list (when
> adding a new list via the List Manager) should be
> the Friendly URL versions. 

Aha! It never occurred to me that I would have to click on "Add" to see the URLs for lists already in place.

> And actually, we
> really should be removing the "Default Lists" from
> that dropdown list anyways...

Why on earth would you do that?? That was my original point many, many months ago. There is no other way to find out which URLs are associated with the [x]s under Default Lists. Even the [View] function shows only the content or a list, not its URL.
fxm
March 02, 2010 05:20AM
MarkSide Wrote:

> Hm, anything else I forgot to reply to?  winking smiley

No smiling smiley

I'll keep the full log in case you need more than the extract, but I'm not sure how much help it will be.
The exception messages don't include the URL or the text being processed, so [aside from the timing] there is no way to tell what is being processed at each event.
March 02, 2010 08:12AM
fxm Wrote:

> > And actually, we
> > really should be removing the "Default Lists" from
> > that dropdown list anyways...
>
> Why on earth would you do that?? That was my
> original point many, many months ago. There is no
> other way to find out which URLs are associated
> with the s under Default Lists. Even the
> function shows only the content or a list, not its
> URL.

Well, from a general usability standpoint, it doesn't make much sense for those list URLs to be present in that dropdown for new-list addition as well as in the "Default Lists" checkbox section.  We've heard from many confused users when they attempted to add a List URL only to find it mysteriously vanish as it matched one of the Default List URLs . . . hence our recent "List-addition Sanity-checking" stuff.  So it's kind of a fine line we need to walk between making information / options available to advanced users, and keeping things uncomplicated enough that we can ease new users into it.

When we redo the UI as part of our PeerBlock 2.0 rewrite in the coming months, we'll definitely try and present this information a bit differently (and hopefully better).  In the meantime, depending on how masochistic you're feeling the bottom half of the listurls.cpp source-file will show our entire view of the world, list-URLs wise...

---  Mark  ---

fxm
March 02, 2010 10:03AM
MarkSide Wrote:

> in the "Default Lists" checkbox section. 

? Where would that be? All I have is
--Default Lists------
[x] P2P [View] Anti-P2P organizations
...etc

That was why I began by expressing surprise at not seeing "friendly" (or indeed any) URLs for the default lists.
The custom list section looks just fine.
March 02, 2010 01:22PM
Sorry, I meant that it doesn't really make sense for those lists to be present in both places.  From feedback I've received, many people seem to find that confusing - they expected that if a list was represented up in the "Default Lists" section, it wouldn't also be listed in that dropdown list.

---  Mark  ---

fxm
March 02, 2010 03:21PM
MarkSide Wrote:

> they expected that if a list
> was represented up in the "Default Lists" section,
> it wouldn't also be listed in that dropdown list.

OK with me. But....
Are the URLs for the "Default Lists" anywhere in the GUI other than in the "Add" dialog?
Anonymous User
March 24, 2010 01:14PM
Hello.
The default lists P2P,Spyware and Advertising are empty.The Education list doesn't exist.Why?
Thank you for answer.
March 24, 2010 01:42PM
Heya eric10000.

When you run PeerBlock the first time, you have to let PeerBlock download those lists first. Afterwards they will be stored in PeerBlock's lists folder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login