How to disable IPv6 in Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista / Windows 7
March 04, 2010 02:13AM
OK this is a basic guide to disable IPv6 completely in Vista and win7. You will not need anything but administrator access...

First log on as an Administrator.
Go to Start Menu>All Programs>Accessories
Then Right click on Run and select Run as Administrator. (If you have UAC on then OK all the boxes that show up)

Type regedit into the box an click OK (Once Again for UAC just OK all boxes)

Once regedit opens browse to the key listed below...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>services>TCPIP6>Parameters

Once there Right Click on the Folder Icon labled Parameters and Create a New DWORD (32Bit) Value

Name it DisabledComponents and set its value to 0
Then click OK

Then open up you network Adapter Properties and remove the Check from the CheckBox labeled Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

Then Restart!!!

Also found here: [www.mydigitallife.info]
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you have Windows XP!

Most people are wondering about Windows XP.... If your system is old enough to have had SP2 before SP3 was published you need not worry about this...

The newer laptops known as NetBooks that Have Windows XP on them that is XP SP3 then you probably had IPv6 enabled by the manufacturer...

Open A CMD Window in an Administrators Account and type this.

ipv6 /uninstall
Close it after its done.

Open Network Connections

Right-click any local area connection, and then click Properties. (I SUGGEST YOU DO IT TO ALL)

Click Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 in the list of installed components, and then click Uninstall.

In the Uninstall Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 dialog box, click Yes.

Click Close to save changes to your network connection.

Then Restart!!!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
If you also want to disable Teredo Tunneling ipv4 in ipv6 packets just follow this how to...
[www.mydigitallife.info]
This also works in Windows 7

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2010 03:12AM by DarC.
Re: How to disable IPv6 in Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista / Windows 7
March 05, 2010 08:53PM
Might be easier to just go into your network adapter properties and uncheck the ipv6 check box

[img85.imageshack.us]
March 05, 2010 11:09PM
In order to completely disable all ipv6 addressing you need to create that registry key...

And what you suggested is step two of the disabling of ipv6 in Vista/7...
March 05, 2010 11:19PM
I missed the word completely, my bad. I don't think you should completely disable ipv6, unchecking it from your adaptor(s) should be just fine and when ipv6 becomes relevant just check the box again not mess with regedit.
March 06, 2010 03:02AM
The topic was how to disable ipv6 in Windows. The reasons for having it completely killed is simple PeerBlock only blocks ipv4 Addresses.

I am not going to be running windows 7 forever lol.... By the time ipv6 becomes relevant I will be running Windows 10 or better yet Kubuntu...☺
March 06, 2010 05:03AM
why windows anything??? lol

can i get some bugs? why yes sir just buy some windows products, lol.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
March 06, 2010 11:06AM
Thats why Kubuntu is on my later to gets list.. I love kubuntu 9.10. Cant wait till PB is made for it..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login