Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No More Updated block lists

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
No More Updated block lists
March 09, 2010 04:29PM
I live in the U.S. Just encase that is pertinent And peer block v1.0.0.r181 Always say that there are no new updated
lists for download.. I reinstalled but still the same it will update once then nothing?

A friend says hes was going to ask me the same thing. Not receiving any new updates . there used to be at least 1 every day?

Im XP friend is Seven.

Whats the Skinny..
Anonymous User
Re: No More Updated block lists
March 09, 2010 04:38PM
Hmm Found this going down the list... Its seems like its been like 2 weeks to me since my last UPDATE? but ok..
Its a Great free Service !! so one cant complain much. Just feel naked is all smiling smiley

fakhir Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MarkSide contacted me (I-Blocklist administrator)
> about users complaining that PeerBlock was
> updating lists but the contents of the lists were
> not changing.
> The decision was made to make changes to
> I-Blocklist so that PeerBlock will only update
> when there has been changes to a list.
>
> Bluetack has been down for maintenance so the
> Bluetack lists have not changed so PeerBlock does
> need to update the Bluetack lists.
March 09, 2010 05:15PM
dont feel too naked, you still have lists from your last successful download, and chances are there wouldnt have been any new ips to add ya know. i wouldnt worry too much, after a few months then id worry. hope this puts you at ease a bit.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
March 09, 2010 10:50PM
Fakhir just today added some additional information to iblocklist.com's List Description pages.  You can now see how often a particular list is updated on average, as well as the date of the most recent update.  Looking at the iblocklist information for the Bluetack Level1 list - the one we use as our default "P2P" list - we can see that it hasn't been updated since Feb 1.  Bluetack's been going through some server changes apparently, and have been (mostly?) offline for the past few weeks.

Many of our users have started using TBG's Primary Threats blocklist now instead of / in addition to Bluetack's Level1 list, since it's updated more frequently, and they're more "aggressive" about what IP addresses they put onto their list.  You might want to look into that one as well.

PeerBlock is really just a consumer of these lists.  If you want lists to be updated more frequently, you're going to need to talk to the list authors themselves.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
March 10, 2010 06:38AM
hey mark are there more than the three lists authors we primarily use? other than bluetack, iblocklist.com, and TBG?

if there are more maybe we should post all the authors and websites of compatible lists for PB for more variety, something along those lines, just a thought.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
March 10, 2010 10:52AM
Thanks for Tips and input MarkSide & brandonjm8

Can someone give us a general breakdown in lamens terms about these TBG lists.. For instance,

Educational might be good if your on campus & don't want them spying. ETC..? I think i read that someplace but ive been doing so much reading on this i cant find the pages : >

Primary Threats
General Corporate Ranges TBG
Business ISPs TBG
Educational Institutions TBG
Search Engines TBG
Hijacked TBG
Bogon TBG

Thanks again guys.. Just drop a link on this general info if you have one. I HEAR IT CAN BE A BAD IDEA TO USE TO MANY LISTS..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 11:01AM by T-pred.
March 10, 2010 04:12PM
More information on the TBG lists can be found either on the individual iblocklist.com List Description pages, or else on TBG's List and Filter descriptions page.

The more lists you use, the more of the Internet you're blocking - both good and bad.  There are likely going to be "innocent bystanders" on each of the various lists you use, with the more paranoid/"aggressive" among them being even more likely to include IP addresses upon the least suspicion of bad activities.  If you're blocking HTTP, having lots of lists will mean that lots more websites will be blocked.  If you're engaging in P2P, having lots of lists could cause your download speeds to drop because you're blocking too many users with highspeed connections.  If you use IRC/IM, you could be blocking some of their servers.  Etc.

It's a balancing act, really, paranoia versus pain.  Those sorts of warnings are out there to make sure that people stop and think about what they're trying to do, and realize that if they're blocking 3/4 of the Internet they may be inflicting a large amount of pain upon themselves.  Read through the list descriptions, and decide what sorts of things you'd like to explicitly block/allow - and if the "pain level" becomes too great, try disabling a few of the lists as a test to see if they're what's impacting your connection. 

I myself have around a dozen lists that I use from iblocklist, from a variety of different list-authors, and generally leave HTTP Blocked - to me the pain of having to temporarily/permanently allow website IP addresses and those of various services I use every so often (or temporarily Allow HTTP) is a worthwhile price to pay for my machine's safety.  It's not worth it to my wife, who makes me Allow HTTP for her whenever she wants to use my machine.

Good luck,

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
March 15, 2010 07:26AM
I just discovered that the lists on my Win7 laptop are updating and PeerBlock is blocking way more IP's than the PeerBlock on my XP desktop machine. This tells me there is something about using PeerBlock on XP? Isn't the Iblocklists the one's that PeerGuardian used that caused a lot of problems? There seems to always be a problem with their servers or something that stops the updating of the lists.. Just my 2cents..
CiTiBoY
Anonymous User
March 15, 2010 12:29PM
Something MarkSide told me QUOTE*

For my own usage patterns, what I generally do is leave all (or, at least, nearly all) of my lists enabled 24x7. When I come across a site which is causing me problems, I look at what PeerBlock's recently-blocked list to see if there was anything noted in the past couple of seconds. If so I'll right-click on them one-by-one and click "Allow for 15 minutes", then try reloading the website. If that resolves the problem, I'll hopefully remember which IP address I allowed and then right-click on it and Permanently Allow it. Some sites will show up with a certain Range name - like "Red Envelope" or something for Netflix". If I see something unique and site-specific like that, I'll go to iblocklist.com and Search for that name, then add the entire range of IP addresses it shows to my Permanent Allow list.

Note that this is only for sites I frequent a lot - END QUOTE*

going to iblocklist.com and Search for that name, then add the entire range of IP addresses is something i have been meaning to follow up on, since i am have issues with AMAZON IP Ranges myself. Still haven't done it smiling smiley

Hope this helps? But I'm sure an expert will be along.
Anonymous User
March 17, 2010 05:27PM
i have read the post that there are no more updates when iblock list isnt updated (while eartlier it said "updating" every time when in fact there were no updates in the list).

however, it is now a couple of weeks that there hasnt been any update, is anybody updating this list in any way, anyway ?
it doesnt givt you a real secure feeling when the last updates are weks or even month ago ...

March 17, 2010 05:32PM
7Stone,

What is happening is peerblock is comparing your current lists vs the lists online. and if there is a newer version, you will download the new version. if there are no updates, then you will not get any.
March 18, 2010 08:22AM
We've  been looking into a few reported issues lately about the lists not being correctly noticed as updated.  We have some code in test that should help alleviate this pain, will post a special test-version of a PeerBlock Beta Release soon for you guys to play with.

The Bluetack Level1 list (renamed to "P2P" in our List Manager window) was last flagged as updated on March 15th.  If you haven't seen that list updated since then, could you please post your peerblock.log and peerblock.conf files here so that we can review them?

Thanks, and sorry about the inconvenience,

---  Mark  ---

P.S.  Also, you can force PeerBlock to download an entirely new set of lists by deleting all the *.list files in C:\Program Files\PeerBlock\lists - even while PeerBlock is still running - and then clicking the Check Updates button.  Just be careful not to delete any *.p2b or *.p2p files in there!

Anonymous User
March 18, 2010 09:59AM
I Have P.B. Installed twice. Originally in a folder called \PeerBlock_r181__Win32_Release (also the one giving trouble)

But once you said that the(Bluetack Level1) lists have been updated?? i went to my newly installed copy again and it updated HURRAY!! IT DID IT!! It wasn't doing updates either, that's why i went back to the original one... I'll stick with Bluetack , the Iblocklists where blocking to much stuff. Like my AIM connection & AMAZON IP Ranges...

PS. MY LOG FILE IS HUGE sad smiley so i had to zip = 3mb ...since there is a Attached size limit. Hope its usefull ..

Also can i just wipe my original install folder and not have to worry about the registry?
Anonymous User
March 19, 2010 05:53AM
@ markside :

my list files (in ...\lists) have the date 02.03.2010 (March 2., 2010).
This means there has been no update since then, also not the march 15th update
(which you state should have happened).

can you tell me please : WHERE TO am i supposed to send my peerblock.log and peerblock.conf files ?
what is the email adress i have to send it to ?

thx

7stone
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login