Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peerblock stopped blocking after update to r320

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Peerblock stopped blocking after update to r320
March 11, 2010 07:43AM
Hello,
I have updated my Peerblock to r320 yesterday and it doesn't block anymore. I have tried to completely delete the cache and settings and then to add the block lists again, but no change. I am using the portable version on windows 7. The logfile does not show any errors.
Re: Peerblock stopped blocking after update to r320
March 11, 2010 09:24AM
Heya moo.

Have you tried testing that has your PeerBlock really lost it's ability to block with a ping test (link: [www.peerblock.com] ) ? Also if the problem is indeed there, please follow the guidelines written here (link: [forums.peerblock.com] ) and provide as much information as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 09:24AM by Tippy.
Anonymous User
March 11, 2010 10:30AM
Hello there,
I tried to ping 3.0.0.0 and it does not get blocked nor does any other ip on the blocklist. I attached config file and a log from a fresh run of peerblock. It seems, that the driver gets loaded.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.conf (3.5 KB)
open | download - peerblock.log (15.6 KB)
March 11, 2010 06:51PM
Quick question...how come your using the Portable version? Are you running it from a USB drive?

Most installs should be done using the installer located here:
[peerblock.googlecode.com]

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
Anonymous User
March 20, 2010 11:33AM
I have the very same problem. I also tried to ping the blocked site & got the same error. I am using the full version of Peerblock on an XP machine. When I try to go back to the old 1.0 version, I get an error when the program tries to run, then it crashes. The r320 version runs, but does not block anything.

I've tried un-installing and re-installing both versions, but neither of them block anymore.

I attached the PB.conf file, but the log file is too big for your attachment tool. The log file is 2.5mb.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 10:10AM by dbrunda.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.conf (7.4 KB)
March 20, 2010 05:40PM
could you post PB log and .conf files as per our "known issues" thread, thanks.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
March 22, 2010 12:28PM
Pretty much the same as my post regarding r181 [forums.peerblock.com] which upgrading to r277 fixed.

Did a clean Win 7 install last week, installed r320 and have not had blocking since. Removed & reinstalled r277 yesterday and it works fine.

The attached log has the r320 install and includes the log of the current r277 install at [3/21/2010] [13:12:23.865].

If this means anything: when 3.0.0.0 was pinged with r320 it times out and there is no 'blocked' entry in PB

When pinged with r227 there is a General Failure message and a blocked entry in PB.

Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (139.9 KB)
open | download - peerblock.conf (4 KB)
March 22, 2010 12:33PM
to dbrunda:

if your files exceed our limits just simply zip them up for us (compress the files as one) then post them, thanks.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
April 06, 2010 08:20AM
These sorts of blocking issues are caused by driver problems, and it's very difficult to get tracelog information out of the driver sadly.  We use a different driver on Windows Vista/7 than we do on XP/2000, which doesn't use the IpFilterDriver - so don't worry about troubleshooting that.  Instead we hook into the "Base Filtering Engine" service to intercept network traffic.

I haven't experienced this problem myself for a long time now, but know that many people have had some success with trying one of the following workarounds if this happens: disable then re-enable PeerBlock; check for updates; force a list-cache generation by deleting C:\Program Files\PeerBlock\cache.p2b and clicking the Check Updates button; "force" an update-check by deleting all your C:\Program Files\PeerBlock\lists\*.list files (but not any *.p2p files in that directory!) and clicking Check Updates; stopping/restarting PeerBlock.

I know, it's a pain, but until we can figure out WTF is happening here trying to run through those tests to see if you can "trick" PeerBlock into working on your machine is our best answer.  sad smiley 

Could those of you who are seeing these sorts of problems report in with a comment about which OS & PeerBlock rev you're running, what workaround worked for you (if any), and what Firewall/Anti-virus you're running?  That would be greatly appreciated, and might help us figure out some sort of a pattern in affected users' machines that's causing this.  As I said, it's not happening on any of us developers' machines, which makes it exceptionally difficult to track down...

Thanks, and I apologize for the continuing problems in this space,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
April 19, 2010 04:26AM
Issue only appeared when pc was restarted.

Windows 7 32 bit.

only workaround I found was to first remove PB from pc and reinstall.
Anonymous User
April 22, 2010 02:39PM
FWIW, today I uninstalled r277 (see earlier post above), deleted the remaining Peerblock folder in Program Files and used Regedit to delete any mention of Peerblock in the registry. Re-booted a few times, installed r320 and now have blocking with r320.

I think the only difference between this install and the earlier non-blocking r320 is not having Win 7 select an install compatibility mode. It used Win XP SP2 for the first r320 install.
Anonymous User
September 29, 2010 09:14PM
For me, after a Windows 7 x64 crash, my PeerBlocker 1.0 stopped working. This was the case no matter what folder I installed PeerBlocker in on the same drive letter. I copied the install file to a new drive letter, installed in that folder, and is now functional again.

(I did not install the beta version)

TrevorK
Anonymous User
October 24, 2010 11:53AM
I'm running:

PeerBlock 1.0+(r484) -BETA RELEASE

And it's also not blocking anything, and I've tried Marks steps as well. I've also posted a whole forum on my problem in general.

PeerBlock just doesn't like my computer.
Anonymous User
February 01, 2011 03:50AM
I am also having this problem, but I'm running PeerBlock as a service. I set it up using this tutorial: [www.geekzilla.co.uk] I just did the tutorial with PeerBlock instead of uTorrent, but otherwise did everything else the same.

The fix that worked for me was simply going into Windows Services (running services.msc from command prompt as admin) and then restarting the service. From then on Peerblock worked.

HOWEVER, this problem occurs every time I restart. PeerBlock (run as a service) is not working initially upon reboot, even though everything looks normal in the program itself (except the log is empty), until I manually go restart the service.

This is my first time installing PeerBlock, and the issue has been present since installation. However, I set up PeerBlock as a service immediately, so that might be part of the issue. The service is running as admin.

My information:

PeerBlock Version - PeerBlock 1.1 (r518) (the newest stable edition)

OS Version - Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit

Firewall/Antivirus Info - McAfee Security Center

In my attached log file, the following times are significant, in case you want to compare the instances where PeerBlock is and isn't working:
2:43:29:109 - Peerblock initially not working
03:58:23.750 - Restarted the service, now working
04:02:43.890 - Rebooted, no longer working
04:08:43.281 - Restarted the service, now working

Also, I did notice this message popping up a lot, for this and one other driver:

[2/1/2011] [04:08:43.312] [04080] [driver] [load(2)] preparing to load driver - name: [IpFilterDriver], file: [System32\Drivers\IpFltDrv.sys]
[2/1/2011] [04:08:43.312] [04080] [driver] [load(3)] loading driver - name: [IpFilterDriver], file: [System32\Drivers\IpFltDrv.sys], devfile: [\\.\IpFilterDriver]
[2/1/2011] [04:08:43.312] [04080] [driver] [load(3)] * Error: driver not currently installed as service
[2/1/2011] [04:08:43.312] [04080] [driver] [load(3)] - err:[1073], desc:[The specified service already exists.]
[2/1/2011] [04:08:43.312] [04080] [driver] [load(3)] service name: [System32\DRIVERS\ipfltdrv.sys], file name: [System32\Drivers\IpFltDrv.sys]

Is it benign or does it mean I have to add something to get my service to work properly?

This is kind of a problem for me since my whole purpose of running it as a service was so it could be run automatically while I am away for a few months. I do not wish to have to SSH into my machine once a day just to restart the service. Is there any way I can make the service be automatically restarted after Windows XP is rebooted so that it will work again?

Edit: As a longshot, I tried disabling everything in my McAfee firewall and rebooting, but even with the firewall disabled, PeerBlock still did not work after the reboot until I manually restarted the service. So it's not the firewall at fault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 04:10AM by violagirl23.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.zip (15.5 KB)
Anonymous User
January 11, 2012 02:50PM
I just found this, but none of those trick work for me. I will now link to my post in the support section I made before I discovered this thread.

[forums.peerblock.com]
Anonymous User
February 11, 2012 11:31AM
I did the properties on mine and it says r181? I was having the same trouble of not updating so followed the advice on "deleting all your C:\Program Files\PeerBlock\lists\*.list files" and I got it to update. But I am wondering if things are working right based on the "r181" number?

W7 ultimate i5 running Microsoft Security Essentials

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 11:54AM by bhindzioncurtain.
February 11, 2012 12:43PM
r181 means you're running a truly ancient version of PeerBlock. I'd not be shocked at all to find bugs in that. The current stable is 518 and I highly recommend updating to it.
Anonymous User
April 01, 2012 12:01PM
I have the same problem. I use win7 32 bit and PB 1.1. r518. I'm not using any antivirus, only Malware Defender and PB has no restrictions set.

PB stops blocking after each Windows restart. Only way to make it block again is to open list manager and tick or untick one of preset lists. After generating new list cache blocking starts again.

I hope this info will help you find the cause of the problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login