Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using PeerBlock at College to torrent safely

Posted by Waddles08 
Using PeerBlock at College to torrent safely
March 16, 2010 03:43AM
I was curious if PeerBlock can help prevent the people at my college knowing if I'm downloading illegal torrents. They monitor what people download and I know people that have been caught using Vuze. If PeerBlock can help prevent this, should I set the Education block on or does that only block websites and not people watching what I'm downloading. Thanks for any help.
Re: Using PeerBlock at College to torrent safely
March 16, 2010 04:41AM
Let me start by saying this: people of PeerBlock do not encourage users to break their country's/state's law. Now to answer your question, there is simply no way the PeerBlock can help you avoid being monitored by your campus sysdamins if you're using the campus network. For one, if PeerBlock indeed blocks your campus packets then there's a very good chance PeerBlock will be blocking your network connection too. Second, even if PeerBlock does prevent the campus sysdamins from snooping your computer, sysadmins should also have the option to monitor traffic between your computer and the internet. Imagine like the mail delivery, the post office can monitor what mail goes from house a to house b and you have no way to prevent them from knowing this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 04:44AM by Tippy.
March 16, 2010 09:39AM
I was just curious because I set Peer Block to block P2P and education and my Internet still worked and PB showed it block my college a couple times every second
March 16, 2010 05:02PM
Then your probably in good hands.. The Collage Campus lists are built to block snoopy admins. But like tippy said its a grey area.. Plus they have control over the campus IP allocation.

And Encrypted Proxy is your best bet... Once again I stress that we don't condone illegal activity.
March 16, 2010 05:57PM
I understand that using PB and other things is not to encourage the download of music, movies, etc. illegally. But I'll just admit my intentions up front. As most people would assume anyhow. Do you have any suggestions for an Encrypted Proxy? I'm not very experienced with things like PB and proxys.
March 16, 2010 06:10PM
Sure torrentfreedom or btguard. btguard.com is a harder to setup. torrentfreedom.com is easier to setup and covers all your connections from and to the internet...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 06:11PM by DarC.
March 17, 2010 05:08PM
Waddles08:

What you are wanting to do is illegal.

Your college most likely monitors your internet traffic in a way that can not be obscured though PeerBlock and since your friends have been caught doing illegal activity, i would highly recommend that you NOT torrent illegal content.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012