Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BlueTack Bogon list causing probs with PeerBlock?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
BlueTack Bogon list causing probs with PeerBlock?
March 17, 2010 08:35PM
I don't know what the problem is exactly but the latest BlueTack Bogon list (~5-3 days ago) contains something that is causing things to slow down when using PeerBlock. Firefox/IE will take a long time to start up and my firewall (Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5) will not be able to work correctly. If I try to go to Kerio's settings it will pop up an error saying it can't connect to its filter driver (a sys file).

Disabling the BlueTack Bogon blocklist will fix everything so it is some entry in that file I think. Maybe something about localhost? I can't find the bogon file on my drive though since some of the files are scrambled and not readable.

This probably has nothing to do with PeerBlock itself but I am hoping someone knows what I am talking about.

Problem occurs in PeerBlock 1.0, r277 and r320 (the only 3 I tested). WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit.

The TBG Bogon list works fine too btw.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 08:38PM by rubix.
fxm
Re: BlueTack Bogon list causing probs with PeerBlock?
March 17, 2010 09:47PM
rubix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> This probably has nothing to do with PeerBlock

In a way it doesn't (because the lists are generated elsewhere) but in a way it does.

Mark: why does PB intervene in connection attempts that are local on both sides?
March 17, 2010 10:18PM
If the list is causing internet issues, just disable it. The Bogon list is is designed to block ' unused ' IP ranges.

[en.wikipedia.org]
March 18, 2010 01:13AM
The biggest problem these Bogon lists cause is that they're blocking IP address ranges that show up in PeerBlock when a network broadcast type packet is sent.  Without getting too much into network theory here, if your computer's IP address is 192.168.100.123 and it wants to send a message to all computers on this local network, it could send a message to 192.168.100.123 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.  This would send a message to all computers with an IP address of 192.168.100.*.  The way this is actually done is via a broadcast address - this can show up like 239.255.255.250, which is in the Bluetack Bogon list, and would therefore be blocked.  (And, presuming port 1900, is used for UPnP for example...)

These broadcast addresses are also listed on the Bluetack iana-multicast list.  If you set up this list as an Allow list, you should no longer be blocking them.

There could potentially also be other blocks going on that are impacting your network.  As always, the thing to do is go through your History looking for any "interesting" blocks, and then start figuring out why they were blocked (potentially using the iblocklist.com Search page to look for that IP address).

As far as PeerBlock's "auto allow of local IP addresses" goes, all it automatically allows is the IP address of your local Adapter, Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS Server.  What might be helpful for us to do could be for us to detect that you're adding a Bogon type list, and then strongly recommend (and offer to do so for you) that you enable the iana-multicast list as well.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
April 03, 2010 08:22AM
Thanks Mark, that was a great answer - just "techy" enough to answer some questions I googled winking smiley
*hi5* smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login