Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Ipv6 number appears, then gone on history
March 27, 2010 01:39AM
Acer Aspire 6930, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
Comodo Firewall (latest free version)
Peer Block
PS3 Media server

I am having what I beleive to be an ipv6 number appearing on my connection window, that happens every so often.

I notice number in the live connections window when I am streaming or transcoding/streaming to my PS3, but when I try to go back and look at my history, the number is not there. I have been up and down the list, but only ipv4 subnet adresses show.

192.168.1.64 laptop
192.168.1.65 PS3

You can see a sequential countdown of port attempts (i guess) coming from the PS3 (192.168.1.65) to the laptop (192.168.1.64)

My question is if all I see when I look at the history is subnet addresses from one device to another, should I be worried that this ipv6 is an intruder, or it maybe has something to do with uPnP. When I turn off the PS3 server or the PS3 itself, the activity disappears.

I ask if uPnP may be the reason it is sending so many attempts because I am having trouble enabling it on my PS3, so maybe it is pinging away at the router trying to establish uPnP and switches to a pseudo- ipV6 number after so many attempt. My PS3 is saying uPnP is unavailable, but it is enabled on my router, but that is another issue.

The flow is always either from the PS3 or the laptop, I never see another outside ip so I think I'm OK.
I am just wondering if I should be worried about this random subnet, ghost ipv6 number?
Re: Ipv6 number appears, then gone on history
March 27, 2010 07:39AM
The reason why your not seeing IPv6 in the history is because of this bug

[code.google.com]

If you only get the IPv6 connections when you have your PS3, it's probably nothing to worry about.
Anonymous User
Re: Ipv6 number appears, then gone on history
March 27, 2010 01:55PM
night_stalker_z Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reason why your not seeing IPv6 in the history
> is because of this bug
>
> [code.google.com]
> d=63
>
>
> If you only get the IPv6 connections when you have
> your PS3, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Cool. Thanks for reply night_stalker_z.

I kinda figured that but thought I'd get some informed knowledge. It always seems to be at the end of a string of port attempts, from the PS3 to my laptop.

While I have you here, if you don't mind....... I have gone crazy and just packed my blocklist full with national ip's and corporate, and spyware lists , with only a few permanent allows (after seeing how many people are spying, a little paranoia set in), can having too many block lists cause them to cancel eachother out, or do I just have to worry about limiting myself to what I can access.

In other words, I have over 3.5 billion ip's blocked......is that too many?
I just release HTTP when I want to browse, then shut it off. I make sure I have no p2p action going on when browsing.....too paranoid?

I ask because yesterday, before going crazy, most of my blocked ip's were coming up corporate, with a fair amount from China, then today, after packing national ip blocks into my list, the range names are coming up with National names....ie. sweden, australia etc
Are these ip's possibly the same ip's, just the range names are different. I unfortunately did not keep my logs from yesterday, so wondering if I have exposed my self in the last 24 hours or so. I have the US blocked so I no longer see the ip's like USAIC Dept. of ....
I see Canada, Great Britain, Microsoft, France, Microsoft, United States
My list grew from 2.3 billion blocked ip's to over 3.5 billion, so I don't THINK I am more exposed.

Note: I pretty much just use my internet for file sharing, and a little "that's cool let's check it out Googling", oh and to chat with people on these advice forums. I don't any fancy network stuff as I am limited in knowlege.

Maybe a TRUSTED link on advice regarding blocklisting, many differing views out there.

Thanks Night_Stalker_Z and I apologize if this was inappropriate question in this topic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 02:08PM by devildog93.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login