Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PeerBlock doesn't update even when there are updates available.

Posted by Newtype 
PeerBlock doesn't update even when there are updates available.
March 28, 2010 07:46PM
Hi, PeerBlock (version r320 beta) doesn't update on my computer ever since iblocklist keeps track of "last updated" dates. I know that it's not supposed to update every day anymore, but it hasn't updated once since then. I have another computer that has the same version of PB installed with the same lists, same configuration, and it updates whenever there are updates available. It also has a higher number of blocked IPs, but on mine, it always says that there are no updates available. What is the reason for this?

Thanks for reading.
Re: PeerBlock doesn't update even when there are updates available.
March 28, 2010 08:38PM
Newtype, this is a copy of a post the MarkSide ( PeerBlock owner ) made.

We've been looking into a few reported issues lately about the lists not being correctly noticed as updated. We have some code in test that should help alleviate this pain, will post a special test-version of a PeerBlock Beta Release soon for you guys to play with.

The Bluetack Level1 list (renamed to "P2P" in our List Manager window) was last flagged as updated on March 15th. If you haven't seen that list updated since then, could you please post your peerblock.log and peerblock.conf files here so that we can review them?

Thanks, and sorry about the inconvenience,

--- Mark ---

P.S. Also, you can force PeerBlock to download an entirely new set of lists by deleting all the *.list files in C:\Program Files\PeerBlock\lists - even while PeerBlock is still running - and then clicking the Check Updates button. Just be careful not to delete any *.p2b or *.p2p files in there!
March 29, 2010 07:30AM
Thanks for the reply! That trick worked.
just got peer block and it never updates it always says no updates .. is this normal had it 2 weeks now

thanks far
Joined today and thanks for the tip in here re: deleting lists then updating again.
I also found answers to a few other things that worried me a little.

I'm curious about this though.
While in the list folder I discovered that there were two versions of each list in their. (same file sizes)
(I deleted all of them and after the update only one of each appeared, so all good.)
Did this happen as a result of updating from the Stable v.1 to the latest Beta that I installed today?
I don't remember the option I chose re: 'my existing lists' on install.
Thanks, anglo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 10:03AM by anglo.
went to run C:\Program Files\Peer Block\lists deleted both lists in there, restarted peer block and it updated new lists, hope i do not have to do this every time ,if i do how often should i do this

thanks far
If it helps you, 2 out of 10 lists have updated since I posted yesterday.
8 are dated 30/3 (after I deleted all previous lists from the list folder and updated) and the other 2 are dated 31/3
I actually saw the atma list update after a reboot, don't know the other one as they don't have names for the lists within the list folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 05:25PM by anglo.
March 31, 2010 05:32PM
Alright, let me make some clarifications.

Some list are updated anywhere from once a day to about once a month. if there is an update, you will download them.

This is an example for the default lists according to iblocklist, the site that PeerBlock downloads its lists.

Default P2P list is updated on an average once every 5 days
Default Ads list is updated on an average once every 8 days
Default Edu list is updated on an average once every 30 days
Default Spyware list is updated on an average once every 20 days
Thanks for the info, now I don't have to keep my eyes on it constantly.
June 18, 2010 01:12PM
Hey, just wanna say that the problem has been fixed for me with the new BETA release.

Thanks a lot!
June 18, 2010 01:39PM
Great, glad to hear that with the new r404 Beta Release everything is updating as it should!

Sorry it took so long to push that update out to y'all,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Everything OK here as well. Thanks Mark. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login