Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RoadRunner? Blocked IP

Posted by kingb33 
RoadRunner? Blocked IP
April 01, 2010 01:22AM
I just started using PeerBlock and I noticed something odd. I don't know if im just being paranoid now that i'm finally using it? Everytime i start to download a "movie" the blocked IP list goes crazy with this same thing:

"RoadRunner RRWE"

Then when i "stop" the torrent download the RoadRunner RRWE blocked IP goes away. Then I'll start it again and it will come back again.

What's the deal with that? It's making me paranoid for sure. The weird thing is I download movies that I actually own. I just don't have a way to "rip" my blu ray discs right now cause i cant afford a external blu ray drive. So I just download the ones I have so i can play them on my WMC home server.

But why does that RoadRunner RREW always start up when i download a movie?

Thanks
Re: RoadRunner? Blocked IP
April 01, 2010 01:29AM
Heya kingb33.

I'm afraid to burts the bubble, but depending on state and country, downloading movies that you own is still illegal. In some places even ripping off movies/musics from CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays that you own (ie paid with the money you earned with sweat and blood) is an illegal act and might be considered as software cracking/hacking.

Anyway, is your computer sending to RoadRunner RREW or is RoadRunner RREW trying to connect to you? If it's trying to connect to you, then it means RoadRunner RREW keeps trying to connect to you via your torrent tracker. If it's you connecting to them, you might have something installed in your computer that attempts to connect to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 01:30AM by Tippy.
April 01, 2010 01:38AM
Are you serious? I can't rip my own Blu-rays? That's pathetic...lol I paid for them and own them. Who the heck came up with that dumb law? That's so ridiculous.

Anyways...Roadrunner is my cable provider I get my cable internet connection through them. I can't tell if they are trying to connect "to" me? Alll I know is that RoadRunner RRWE always pops up in the Blocked List History everytime I start to download a movie file. The weird thing is it only does it on "certain" movie files. Like I'm downloading an old TV series right now and it doesn't do that all. But as soon as I start a movie download the "RoadRunner RRWE" blocked comes up again as soon as I start the download. Why is that? It's making me really paranoid lol...

Also what are all these really weird results i get in my blocked IP lists? Some random weird examples of blocked stuff i get:

WINSTAR
State Information Center
TWC Central Texas Division Riverside HUB
Lukkien Digital Studios
Emirates Telecommunicatons Corp
Cricket Communications Gnutella Activity
police communicate department

What is all this stuff?

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 01:42AM by kingb33.
April 01, 2010 01:44AM
You own the Disc that they are recorded on in a sense you licence to that video depends whether its on the disk or not.
April 01, 2010 01:48AM
Are you serious? I can't rip my own Blu-rays? That's pathetic...lol I paid for them and own them. Who the heck came up with that dumb law? That's so ridiculous.

Well, you can Make a back-up Copy of a DVD/Blu-Ray onto your computer or another disk, its Perfectly legal as long as you do not distribute them ( torrent, sell, bootleg, ect) or break the encription they use.

[reviews.cnet.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 01:52AM by ineedalifetoday.
April 01, 2010 01:54AM
ineedalifetoday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you serious? I can't rip my own Blu-rays?
> That's pathetic...lol I paid for them and own
> them. Who the heck came up with that dumb law?
> That's so ridiculous.
>
>
> Well, you can Make a back-up Copy of a DVD/Blu-Ray
> onto your computer or another disk, its Perfectly
> legal as long as you do not distribute them (
> torrent, sell, bootleg, ect)

well right now i cant rip them but i would if i had a drive for it. That's why i download what i do own. Yes i only rip stuff for my own "personal" use for my WMC setup. Who wants to load a blu-ray or DVD everytime when u can just have it set up like a movie jukebox instead you know?

Anyone know whats going on with all those weird blocked IP's i metioned in my response post above? And why I keep getting RoadRunner RRWE?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 01:56AM by kingb33.
April 01, 2010 01:55AM
They must retain the same copy prevention measures as the original.
April 01, 2010 02:05AM
Im not so worried about the ripping as much u guys...lol

I'm more so worried about the really weird blocked IP results i'm getting as i mentioned in the post above. And the RoadRunner RRWE thing as well as i mentioned too.
April 01, 2010 02:08AM
As far as I know regarding digital recordings on media (CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays), what we pay for are basically the license to use the media as it is and as its intended purpose. Not like, for instance, make profits by running those movies on movie theater or showing it as a charity to bunch of people. Games for instance has a detailed EULA on what you can do or else you're to forbidden to use the games, which is ironic since the only way to access their EULA is to buy the game. And who made these laws? I have no idea.

I don't really know who those company being blocked. The blocklists are maintained and updated by a 3rd party group. It's likely that those companies were being added due to being suspicion of privacy intrusion. Like say collecting information for malicious reasons. It's possible that someone at RoadRunner RRWE is lurking in that tracker of yours or that tracker is located at RoadRunner RRWE's place.
April 01, 2010 02:21AM
hmmm..should i be worried about it at all? like what's up with this particular blocked IP in history i'm getting randomnly--- "police communicate department " ? That doesnt seem good..or is that normal?

Does everyone have really odd results in their histories too? I have all kinds of weird stuff i would have never imagined in mine so far and ive only been using peerblock for 2 days...and i have tons of blocked IP's so far. why is that? Are all these computers really trying to access me? it's very confusing lol...im thinking i shouldn't have downloaded and installed it because it makes a person paranoid.

Tippy Wrote:
> As far as I know regarding digital recordings on
> media (CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays), what we pay for are
> basically the license to use the media as it is
> and as its intended purpose. Not like, for
> instance, make profits by running those movies on
> movie theater or showing it as a charity to bunch
> of people. Games for instance has a detailed EULA
> on what you can do or else you're to forbidden to
> use the games, which is ironic since the only way
> to access their EULA is to buy the game. And who
> made these laws? I have no idea.
>
> I don't really know who those company being
> blocked. The blocklists are maintained and updated
> by a 3rd party group. It's likely that those
> companies were being added due to being suspicion
> of privacy intrusion. Like say collecting
> information for malicious reasons. It's possible
> that someone at RoadRunner RRWE is lurking in that
> tracker of yours or that tracker is located at
> RoadRunner RRWE's place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 02:22AM by kingb33.
April 01, 2010 02:40AM
If it's being blocked, you don't need to worry much.

They do say ignorance is a bliss, but they don't say that there's a limit to stupidity. You should feel a bit at ease knowing that people this time aren't getting your private informations so easily.
April 01, 2010 02:48AM
How many blocked IP's is it normal to get? When i download a movie I get blocked IP's like constantly...like every other second a new one comes in...and it's totally constant. To the point where its like 100's in a span of like just 15 minutes. Is that normal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 02:49AM by kingb33.
April 01, 2010 03:00AM
I'd say it's normal. The amount of hits depend totally on where you browse the website and where you download. If you're not doing anything (playing games or browsing the website), then you shouldn't normally get active hits.
fxm
April 01, 2010 06:31AM
kingb33 Wrote:

> Is that normal?

The first part is simple.
Unless you use a proxy, as soon you as you connect to a torrent you are announcing your IP address to the entire universe.
Anyone else connected to that torrent now has 1) reason to believe you are sharing the file(s) associated with that torrent and 2) the only piece of information needed to attempt to connect to your system.

Even if your IP address has never connected to any torrent since the beginning of time there are still hundreds of other sources of unwanted inbound connections.
April 01, 2010 09:58AM
Then does everyone use a proxy server? I know there is an option to set one up in utorrent.
June 25, 2011 12:35PM
I'm getting all different types of ap2p detections as well as that fiberconnexion (media defender) one. I'm really getting paranoid about all these ap2p detections and media defenders.... ³Ô³

I've been searching for some sort of way to hide my ip address so that they can't tell its me but unfortunatley all i've found on the web are proxies that cant really help me now. wish me luck! I'm going to stop dwnloading for a while because I feel more paranoid than ever.

btw I do not distribute anything i download. I am a 18 yr old just bored out of my mind sitting at home with no job and can't afford to buy these things tongue sticking out smiley

dueces.
November 16, 2011 10:44PM
An ap2p is not a person or company specifically targetting you, for example, one common one i have seen for myself, is amazon listed as a detected ap2p(they have history of going nuts over p2p i find) but they arent going after me, or even targetting me in any way shape or form, the connection blocking, is simply due a cookie on my system from visiting them(saved profile, saved stuff, etc...) one of the best ways i find to stop cookies from being placed, and other things which cause possibly unwanted connections is that some browsers(firefox, ie, chrome) have a mode that stops all this from happening, as such it is on chrome, the incognito window.
Hope this helped smiling smiley

Monarchco
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 9 on March 02, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012