Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peer Block not working?

Posted by DemonDante 
Peer Block not working?
April 05, 2010 12:20AM
I live on a college campus and have been using peer block to bypass the schools Internet security and download torrents. It worked for about 4 months before it suddenly stopped working. Peer block still works just as well, so what is going on. How is the school determining that I am using torrents while peer block is active? Is there a fix I should be aware of? Any help on this subject is appreciated.
Re: Peer Block not working?
April 05, 2010 01:22AM
Heya DemonDante.

If you're using college network, they can still monitor your activity. What PeerBlock helps is that they won't be able to check or intrude into your computer. Imagine post mail delivery offices. Not only can they know where the mail is from and where it goes to, they can open the mail and read it if they so desire since they are the middleman between you and the internet. Your school campus basically is in this middleman position.

There is a chance that the tracker you were accessing to has stopped working or gone down. Have you tested with another tracker? Test it with this tracker (link: [torrent.ubuntu.com] ). Another possibility is that they've blocked ports you used for torrent. Try changing the ports.
April 05, 2010 06:27PM
Also they could be throttling all Torrent traffic.....see the link below to test your connection:
[broadband.mpi-sws.org]

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
April 09, 2010 12:45PM
Yeah, they are throttling bittorrent traffic. What a shame. Is there any way around it? I tried encrypting utorrent itself as well, and it still does not work. Anyway at all?
April 17, 2010 08:43PM
Try a VPN connection.

April 18, 2010 10:00PM
zerocoolxp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try a VPN connection.

I thought of that also zerocoolxp but with the school being a middleman so to speak...then the traffic would be intercepted before the VPN server could be reached.

Sorry DemonDante I can't think of any way you can torrent without the school finding out.
April 19, 2010 06:26PM
The VPN connection will encrypt all traffic. The school will only see some secure, high-bandwidth activity. Depending on the VPN service some even route all traffic on port 443 (HTTPS). Then again nothing stops the admin from seeing all that bandwidth from a certain IP address and start restricting access.

Look into BT Guard -> [btguard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 06:29PM by zerocoolxp.
April 19, 2010 08:35PM
DemonDante I'd take zerocoolxp's advise. I also use btguard and forgot that they encrypt all traffic. Nice catch zerocoolxp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 43
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012