Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PB does not seem to be working?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
PB does not seem to be working?
April 08, 2010 05:49AM
hi,
i have tried both releases of PB and i have the same problem with both.

when you try the test in FAQ's to see if PB is working i get a timed out response. also i am able to access web pages that are on the block list even with HTTP blocked.

also nothing at all shows up on my history log? so I'm assuming that PB is not picking anything up at all?

is there another way i can test to see if PB is working? or is there a way i can fix it?
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (22.9 KB)
open | download - peerblock.conf (4 KB)
open | download - PB.JPG (89.4 KB)
Re: PB does not seem to be working?
April 08, 2010 08:01AM
Heya ice.

You managed to disappear from the irc before I was able to answer some of your questions. By default setting, PeerBlock only logs those activity that are being blocked. The issue of PeerBlock not working often are reported by some users of Windows XP, I'd like to ask which OS are you using (XP 32-bit or XP 64-bit or other).

There have been various workaround methods reported to solve this problem. One is disable PeerBlock then enable PeerBlock. Another is make manual update.

Also I see you're using the current "stable" version of PeerBlock, I'd suggest moving to "beta" version since it has a LOT of bugs fixed since then. Move to beta by uninstalling stable PeerBlock, restart your computer, install beta PeerBlock and try it out. Reason for restarting is that the stable PeerBlock and beta PeerBlock handles drivers differently.
Anonymous User
April 08, 2010 09:15AM
hi, sorry about disappearing before but my Internet timed the window out.

I'm using xp 32 bit. i had tried what you mentioned and it still didn't work. however i think i have found the problem, PB started to work again after removing McAfee security centre. but now I've had to reinstall it it has stopped working again.

I've tried disabling the McAfee firewall but PB still won't work any ideas?
April 08, 2010 11:57AM
It could be that McAfee is using the same sort of "fiter-hook" firewall driver we use in our XP driver - only one of those is allowed on a system at a time.  Unfortunately there's nothing that can easily be done from your end in this case, as to fix that problem we'd need to rewrite our XP driver.  Which is something we'll want to do at some point, but is likely to be a very long, difficult process.

In the meantime, we should at least be hooking the debug messages logged by driver, so that we can output them to peerblock.log.  For XP this should be at least relatively straightforward, though for Vista+ they've changed things around a bit which'll make that a bit more difficult to do.  Additional "are you registered and working?" type messages could also be passed back-and-forth between our user- and kernel-mode, to better catch problems like this when they occur.  In the meantime, if you could collect some data for us with DebugView as per the instructions in this forum post, that could be helpful.

Sorry you're having these problems,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
April 08, 2010 01:00PM
hi ,should i install this version "PeerBlock r226+ (i212 Test)." as you linked to or the latest r320? to use with the debugger?

also do you know which part of the McAfee security centre causes the problem yet or not?

also i have found out that a different version (cut-down but newer) of McAfee will work on windows 7 64bit.

i can give you the version of each of the parts of McAfee on both PCs if that helps.
April 08, 2010 01:09PM
ice

here is a dirct link to the current beta build of peerblock ( r320 ) [peerblock.googlecode.com]
April 08, 2010 06:58PM
Yeah, I was only linking to that thread because I was too lazy to repeat the instructions for getting information out of DebugView.  winking smiley  If you're running the Beta, then the latest one - r320 - is the best one to be running.

From some additional discussions/research I've done over the course of the day, it does appear as though McAfee is using a "filter-hook driver" on Windows XP, as are we - this would explain why we can't work if they're running, because only one filter-hook driver can be loaded at a time.  Filter-hook drivers only work on Windows XP & 2000, which is why both we (and they) have a different kind of driver on anything later . . . kinds of drivers that DO allow more than one to be running at a time, but which don't work on XP/2000.

So in order for us to be able to run at the same time as McAfee, on XP, we'll need to rewrite our driver to be a different type of filtering driver.  (An "NDIS 5.1 Intermediate Filter Driver", in case you're wondering...)  The problem is that as I said earlier this will be an awful lot of work - we expect the new type of driver to be ~2000-3000 lines of code, instead of the ~200-300 it is currently.  Again we hope to get there someday, but it won't be for awhile...

Wish I had better news for you,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
April 09, 2010 01:28PM
its not a problem. at least you know what the problem is and are least willing to look at it unlike other people who sell there software!

do you still want the debug report? or not as you know the cause of the problem?

also is it all of McAfee that causes the problem with the "filter-hook driver" or is it just part of it? as my McAfee is broken down into 7 parts that can be installed separately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2010 01:31PM by ice.
April 18, 2010 09:44PM
I'm thinking that no matter what part of McAfee you are using it would still require a "filter-hook driver." Best bet is to use a different antivirus and firewall. Or change OS.
Anonymous User
April 27, 2010 02:01AM
hi
Ive been using peerblock for about six months now and everything seemed to be working properly until about three weeks ago. I leave peerblock on overnight but when i check it in the morning its always stopped blocking at roughly 01.00. I close it down and restart it and straight away im flooded with ips so it seems that between 01.00 and 07.00 nothings getting blocked which is worrying me. Ive tried turning auto-updates off, history-log none and turning http notification off. Ive tried the latest stable and beta release of peerblock but it keeps happening, Ive looked in the log file and this is what it says when it stops blocking

[4/26/2010] [01:00:07.421] [01368] [pgfilter_base] [thread_func] ERROR OPERATION_ABORTED

[4/27/2010] [01:00:05.890] [02116] [pgfilter_base] [thread_func] ERROR OPERATION_ABORTED

If anybody could help me id very grateful.

Im running xp
Anonymous User
April 27, 2010 02:37AM
Hi Chainsmoker,

Could you please attach your

peerblock.log and peerblock.conf files, they should be located in your peerblock directory.
Also if possible attach a screenshot of the error message, its always nice to have something to look at.

Once you have done this, one of the dev's can read the files and try to help you figure out what's happening.

Freelandr
fxm
April 27, 2010 05:57AM
chainsmoker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> [4/26/2010] [01:00:07.421] [01368] ERROR
> OPERATION_ABORTED
>
> [4/27/2010] [01:00:05.890] [02116] ERROR
> OPERATION_ABORTED
>
> If anybody could help me id very grateful.

Are you connected to the internet via a local network?
If not, do you have a virus scan (or similar task) scheduled for that time on your own system?
Anonymous User
May 03, 2010 10:04AM
hi
Many thanks to Freelandr & fxm for responding to my post. Sorry its took so long to reply. I was reading another post which mentioned an older version of peerblock - 1.0+ (r206) - i177 beta release so i thought id give it a try and hey presto it worked. Ive left peerblock running for the last four nights and its still been blocking when i check it in the morning which has made me quite a happy bunny.

One more thing is that recently, instead of getting lots of different blocked ips, im constantly getting the same ip blocked every few seconds for hours and hours and hours. One of them is Emirates Telecommunications Corporation and another one is Greek Research and Technology Network S.A.

Is it dodgy that they are getting blocked every few seconds, all day long? , They are all outgoing connections.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login