Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How precise is the blocking?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
How precise is the blocking?
April 23, 2010 12:19PM
Does PeerBlock allow another computer to view your subnet name/IP address. I am at a university and all individual access points have their own subnet name (fake e.g. ap2001.mybuilding.myinstitute.edu at address 192.168.1.1). Does PeerBlock prevent another computer on a blocklist from seeing this subnet name? I imagine another computer _can_ access this access point's subnet name because it is one step "ahead" of my computer, which blocks it. So, for example, a traceroute would see the AP's name.

Additionally, would an anti-infringment company still be able to use that access point's subnet name to send a letter of infringment to the university?

I am new to PeerGuardian and PeerBlock, and I would like to know how the program works. I have read the FAQ, but this question wasn't answered.

Thank you.
Re: How precise is the blocking?
May 07, 2010 09:50AM
It is impossible to "hide" your IP address on the internet, since that would mean that whatever machine you're attempting to connect to has no way of responding to your machine.  What PeerBlock does is simply prevent your machine from "talking to" a machine whose IP address is on one of your blocklists. 

If you need additional protection / anonymity there are other things you can do.  You can use TOR, though that is likely going to slow down your internet speeds considerably.  You can also use a third-party anonymizing proxy like btguard.com, though that is going to cost you some money . . . and you're essentially trusting that company not to be storing information on your activities.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login