Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peerblock and IE communication Hanging

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Peerblock and IE communication Hanging
April 30, 2010 09:04AM
All,

PB has been working steller. Recently I noticed that I when running it my computer is hanging when trying to get to websites. I do not block HTTP and have all the bogons turned off.

Anyone else having these issues. Pages will load after a while but viewing computer usages nothing seems out of wack. I am running the lastest beta version and do not show allowed connections unless I am troubleshooting it.

Once I disable PB or sometimes even diasble/enable TCPIP the pages no longer hang.
Re: Peerblock and IE communication Hanging
April 30, 2010 10:11AM
Heya jeredish.

That is an interesting find. Do you mean by computer hanging as everything hanging or just the IE browser hanging and not responding? May I also request what IE are you using? Also do you mean by disable/enable TCPIP as in allow HTTP? I personally have not experienced this problem with IE6 at least.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 12:47PM
I am running IE8...

Once I stop PB from running I usually need to disable my ethernet connection then re-enable it to get my internet to be fast again.

I always allow HTTP thru PB.

Any help would be great. I will install firefox and see if it has the same issues...
April 30, 2010 01:15PM
Hmm... I'd like to request even further information. Does slowed connection always occur when PeerBlock is on and you're using IE8 AND nothing else? For instance you don't have any downloads or uploads running in the background (like bittorrent or something), do you?
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 01:57PM
Yes the slow down always occurs when PB is on on both FireFox and IE8 and nothing else. No downloads or uploads running at that those times.

My Emule and Skype/etc. all work fine just my internet broswers that are bogged down.
April 30, 2010 02:42PM
I'm afraid I will need to ask for more information and for some confirmation.

Could you by chance provide your full spec information of your computer? Also information regarding your router (ie model, make, brand, when it's bought, etc) is appreciated.

Are you absolutely sure that your internet connection is not affected when your browsers are being bogged down? For instance if your normal downloading speed is 1,4 MB/s with your Emule, is your download still 1,4 MB/s after PeerBlock & Browser problem arises? Right now my suspicious is geared towards your router.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 02:42PM
Having same problems the last view days:

Firefox goes into offline modus
outlook express will not connect to pop3
Router needs resetting to get up to proper speed

I am certain peerblock is the culprit, but has been fine up to a view days ago. What changed?

I'm having to go back to pg2 until this problem solved
April 30, 2010 02:45PM
Also I would like to ask are you using a list called "Bogon"? It's known to cause all sorts of annoying problems when using that list. Especially when the list is not used with care.

EDIT: To answer mair's question. There has been no PeerBlock update within the last 7 days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 02:48PM by Tippy.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 03:01PM
I dont use the bogon list...I understand this to be mainly internal network communication and that blocking it is very very difficult properly.

I just noticed the issue lately but I have been on business for the past 4 weeks.

My router is not a Westell Verizon FiSO router, my choice but had to use it. Speed are normal when not running PB and when running PB they appear to be normal. I can get to my SFTP Server from another computer and get speeds through it that are very normal.

I was thinking router as well. But my router is fine with all the other computers on the network none of which are running PB.

O well let me know what you think. I would not think a list is doing this because I dont see the block log on unnormal traffic. Really there is something going on here just trying to figure out what.
April 30, 2010 03:32PM
Can you by any chance test reproducing this problem on other computer and see if same thing happens? I'm afraid right now I don't know what might be the cause.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 03:33PM by Tippy.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 03:58PM
found my problem:

[list.iblocklist.com]

proxy list: bt_proxy

something wrong in this list

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 04:01PM by mair.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 03:58PM
I can try on a VMware image of an XP machine...I will get it all loaded up like my box and let you know.

Yeah I turned off my proxy list and that seems things are better. I am going to test and post my results but my proxy list is:

[list.iblocklist.com]

I am not sure what in this list it is unhappy about but it does not show it blocking something in that list which I am very confused about.

The question is that are the proxy IP's listed legit ones to list and is that a good list to use?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 04:07PM by jeredish.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 04:09PM
didn't show anything blocking here either, but found this one out by first disabling all, then adding them one by one. this is the one that's causing it all. The rest was fine.
April 30, 2010 04:12PM
Ah. I was not aware the proxy list could do this. Both of your proxy list are the same.

EDIT: Great discovery, mair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 04:14PM by Tippy.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 04:14PM
Very odd would be awesome to find some old releases of that list and see where the issues are coming from. By chance what ISP service you have and what is the starting number in your IP? Mine is 173.

Also glad I am not the only one experiencing this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 04:15PM by jeredish.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 04:16PM
but how can it be peerblock didn't seem to be blocking anything when it happened?
That was the first thing I checked. Weird!!
you learn something every day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 04:16PM by mair.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 04:19PM
jeredish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very odd would be awesome to find some old
> releases of that list and see where the issues are
> coming from. By chance what ISP service you have
> and what is the starting number in your IP? Mine
> is 173.
>
> Also glad I am not the only one experiencing this.

Mine is completely different and not in this list
Anonymous User
April 30, 2010 04:46PM
Yeah mine was not...just wondering if it was blocking my IP lol...
Anonymous User
May 01, 2010 05:30AM
same problem. started a few days ago, after some trial and error i found that disabling the proxy list did the trick. it has on odd effect on my broswer - when enabled, firefox takes a fair while to start up, and when i close the browser it will disappear from the screen, yet remain running in the windows task manager. this happens even if there is no internet connection. also, on attempting to update peerblock + lists, they all say "connecting", never connect, and after a few seconds the close button will count down like it does after finishing an update.

i am no tech guy, so have no idea where to go from there. just thought this info would be helpful.
May 08, 2010 06:57AM
superman Wrote:
> same problem. started a few days ago, after some
> trial and error i found that disabling the proxy
> list did the trick. it has on odd effect on my
> broswer - when enabled, firefox takes a fair while
> to start up, and when i close the browser it will
> disappear from the screen, yet remain running in
> the windows task manager. this happens even if
> there is no internet connection. also, on
> attempting to update peerblock + lists, they all
> say "connecting", never connect, and after a few
> seconds the close button will count down like it
> does after finishing an update.
>
> i am no tech guy, so have no idea where to go from

I'm having exactly the same problem with the 'proxy list' and Firefox. If I enable the 'proxy list' then disable it straight away, Firefox goes into offline mode, and I need to end the process in task manager.

I'm no tech wiz either, but interestingly, when the 'proxy list' is disabled I can ping 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 (my PC) with no problems. When the 'proxy list' is enabled however, I get "destination host unreachable" when pinging the two IPs. 192.168.0.2 is in my permallow list.

None of the IPs are logged in PeerBlock as blocked.
Does no-one have an explanation as to what is in this 'proxy list' to cause this confusion?

Thanks.
May 10, 2010 10:52AM
Hmm, that's very strange - I can ping both 127.0.0.1 and my local PC's 192.168.x.x IP address both with and without the Bluetack Proxy list enabled.  And if PeerBlock were actively blocking this connection, it should be showing up on the UI.  And the proxy list does not appear to contain either of the IPs you mentioned.

What version of Windows are you running?  I'm on 64-bit Win 7 here...

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
May 10, 2010 09:02PM
Are you using the IANA Private block list I had trouble with, 192.168.0.0 -192.168.255.255
May 11, 2010 11:12AM
MarkSide Wrote:
> What version of Windows are you running?  I'm on
> 64-bit Win 7 here...
>
>         ---  Mark 
> ---
I'm running Windows XP Professional (32-bit) SP3.

The 'proxy list' doesn't cause a problem on my son's PC, same Windows version and lists, just different ISP and router.

Had the same problem a few months ago, Here > [forums.peerblock.com]

EDIT: 15th May, 2010. 10:15
After this mornings update, the proxy list is no longer causing a problem. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 04:13AM by Rikkadir.
Anonymous User
May 15, 2010 05:38AM
> EDIT: 15th May, 2010. 10:15
> After this mornings update, the proxy list is no
> longer causing a problem. smiling smiley

same here. remember you must remove the list and re-add it first for it to update.
Anonymous User
May 27, 2010 05:12AM
Hey guys, I came across this thread while searching for the solution to the problem I've been having. I believe my problem is the same as what is mentioned in here. Basically, with PeerBlock running, generally webpages are extremely slow to load, and often will not load. If I disable PeerBlock, they will load perfectly fine. Even with PeerBlock enabled and Allow HTTP enabled I get the issue.
I have tried uninstalling PeerBlock and installing the latest beta version - no change.

I read above and there is talk about some lists causing the issue. I am a newbie and don't really understand the list thing, I just installed it and let it run to do it's business. Is someone able to explain to me how to identify the list causing the issue and what I can do about it please? How do I remove the list and readd it for it to update?
May 27, 2010 05:21AM
Heya twr7cx.

As per this thread (link: [forums.peerblock.com] ), please attach your .conf and .log files so that you may be better helped. Additional information is also welcomed.

Also does webpage loading affect ALL the webpages you visit or certain sites? If it affects certain sites then it is working correctly. The reason why it loads so slowly is due to the webpages in question being in one of your blocklist's IP addresses.
Anonymous User
May 28, 2010 07:24PM
Attached is my .conf and .log files for PeerBlock.

When the problem occurs, and it does approximately 80% of the time when PeerBlock is running, it effects pretty much all webpages. Some webpages will slightly load, i.e. Facebook, seems to try to load, but never finishes loading (the Facebook logo, and a few other things are visable, but the rest of the page is white), some sites fail to load and default to a Google search, and some sites I just get the standard connection error screen.

But if I close PeerBlock, turn the wifi off, and back on, then all sites load and function correctly and at the a decent speed! I also run PeerBlock on my laptop and have had no issues there!
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.conf (4.2 KB)
open | download - peerblock.log (37.3 KB)
Anonymous User
June 02, 2010 04:23AM
No ideas then?

The last few days the computer has been running well and fairly trouble free. However, some sites it does have issues which resolve when I disable PeerBlock, i.e. the Australian Apple Store website, but the Apple website works fine, just the store website doesn't load at all with PeerBlock enabled.
June 02, 2010 06:02AM
PeerBlock only blocks the IP addresses that you've set your blocklist to block. Reason why some website doesn't load 100% correctly is because that website is loading to you from multiple different addresses. You should open PeerBlock up and add exceptions to the blocklist, if that's what you desire. I don't know why you'd have to restart wifi to be able to browse without problem though.
Anonymous User
June 04, 2010 06:42AM
How do I add exceptions to the blocklist?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login