Advanced

Microsoft connections

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Microsoft connections
May 14, 2010 04:46PM
Two quick loosely related issues for me:
1)
I noticed that when I setup the Microsoft list as a BLOCK list, I keeps noting that microsoft is attempting to connect to 65.55.158.116
Question is; what is this and what is attempting to call out? I have updates TOTALLY turned off in the services controller (and all dependent services), so I can't figure out what program/service is attempting to illicitly call home! Any one else notice this, or have any idea how I can find out what service/handler is actually making the attempted connections?

2) In playing around a little with trying to track down the above issue, I noticed that when turning some things back on, windows update is NOT blocked when blocking the microsoft list. Can someone point me to a list that will block 100% of microsoft IPs? Or put me in touch (directly?) with the author of the list so I/we can add the rest of the microsoft IPs to the list. Windows Update shouldn't be able to connect when the microsoft list is blocked.
Re: Microsoft connections
May 14, 2010 05:00PM
You can use a program called TCPView [technet.microsoft.com] and determine what program is trying to contact Microsoft.

If you have " HTTP is Allowed " then Windows Update is going to work since it uses HTTP
There is only one list that i know of that is for microsoft " [www.iblocklist.com] "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 05:01PM by ineedalifetoday.
May 14, 2010 10:14PM
This IP address is one of Microsoft's "6-to-4" Gateway services, used for IPv6 stuff.  I'd expect that the port-number you're seeing it connect on (the number after the colon, following the IP address) is :3544.  This link explains what's likely going on pretty well.

To contact the authors of various lists, I would recommend going to iblocklist.com and clicking on the "List Description" URLs.  For each list, a link should be provided to the list-author's website.  Their site should have some way of contacting them on it.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
May 15, 2010 12:14AM
Great; many thanks to both. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login