Advanced

Added ip in custom list not blocked

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Added ip in custom list not blocked
May 19, 2010 12:11AM
•PeerBlock 1.0, PeerBlock 1.0+ (r320)
•OS Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
•Firewall/Antivirus Info: Avira 10 Premium, Comodo CIS firewall (latest as of May 15, 2010)

Hi I have a custom list of ips I wanted blocked, then added an ip that I saw was seeding to me in uTorrent as test. Peerblocked recompiled the ips but failed to block the ip I just added. Closing peerblock and re-running peerblock blocks that ip. This does not happen in Windows XP SP3.

I have tried 1.0 and beta 1.0 r320 with same results under Win7 x65 ultimate. Again, this doesnt happen in XP sp3.

Does the team know about this issue, or am I the first to find it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2010 12:20AM by callous.
Re: 1.0+ (r320) doesnt block custom lists until restart of peerblock
May 19, 2010 12:14AM
How are you adding the IP's? in peerblock ?

If you are adding IP's in peerblock, they are automatically adding to the list

If you are not adding them with peerblock, then that is what is causing your issue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2010 12:17AM by ineedalifetoday.
Anonymous User
Re: Added ip in custom list not blocked
May 19, 2010 12:21AM
Ok I am adding through peerblock's interface. Sometimes the ip gets blocked right away, other times takes 7 mins before it is blocked. I can verify this through peerblock's blocked ip interface, and as well as through the peer list of utorrent.

Can someone test this in Win7 x64 to verify what i said?
May 19, 2010 12:26AM
How many IP's are we talking here?

And are you sure your adding them to a block list?
Anonymous User
May 19, 2010 12:29AM
yes, it is added to a custom block list (Type = Block), and the list of ips inside my custom list is ~45 ips long.

Test after test shows that the ip is eventually blocked, but only after a long length of time approaching 10 mins.
May 19, 2010 12:35AM
do you have Avira 10 Premium, Comodo CIS firewall installed on your XP machine ?
Anonymous User
May 19, 2010 12:35AM
yes. Same as in XP, on same hardware
May 19, 2010 12:42AM
Interesting issue you have. I really have no clue what could be causing this.
May 20, 2010 08:23AM
This is most likely related to how we handle network connections.  For performance reasons, we check against your blocklists only when a new connection is instantiated - not for each and every packet that flows through your network.  So for your tests what was probably happening was that a P2P connection was set and allowed, then this IP was blocked but since the connection was already active it was allowed to run.  Then 7-10 minutes later that IP attempted a new connection to you (or vice versa) - for example to send/request a new chunk of the file - and PeerBlock checked this new connection against your blocklists and saw that it was disallowed, so blocked it.

Make sense?

If we wanted to inspect each and every packet flowing across the network, this would be VERY processor-intensive . . . for very little gain, really.  We could look into storing a list of open connections and double-checking them whenever your blocklists change, but that's likely going to be a nontrivial amount of work, and I'm really not too sure how much utility we'd get out of it.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
May 20, 2010 02:03PM
It doesnt happen under Windows XP, which confused me. Is it a different code path for Windows 7?
May 21, 2010 07:52AM
Actually, it is - we need to use an entirely different driver (and type of driver) on XP/2000 versus Vista/7.  I'd thought Windows was feeding us data the same way for each driver-type, but apparently not.  I've added Issue #319 to track the fact that we should look into this deeper.  As always, if this is something in which you're interested, you should "Star" it - that's what we use to determine our users' interest in an issue.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login