Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slow Speeds on utorrent

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Slow Speeds on utorrent
June 12, 2010 02:16AM
Okay hopefully i can get some help with this one tongue sticking out smiley im running utorrent along with peerblock. If i have peerblock off, the download speeds are up to 2000kb a second, but with peerblock on, i only get max so far i seen is 200-300. Im also blocking over 700 million IP's from the P2P list which is updated from the default install. I run through a router which the ports are open and working correctly. I download with peerblock on at around 200-300kb a sec. while my brother on the same network downloads over 2000 without peerblock on, but of course not protected from prying eyes.

Is there anything i can do to increase my speeds while still being very well protected from prying eyes?
Re: Slow Speeds on utorrent
June 12, 2010 06:35AM
The short answer is no.

You're blocking the people who are in the anti P2P list and their the ones giving you fast speeds.

It's up to you whether you want fast speeds or you want to be protected.
Anonymous User
June 18, 2010 02:11AM
Okay guys i have an update to this. Something is weird, my cousin and bro are now using utorrent and peerblock 1.0 and still downloading at over 2.0mb a second, but mine wont go past 200-300, 300 being max and never passes that. its showing the 2 checkmarks when i use the speed guide and run the test, so ports are open i believe. What the hell is going on? i have tried everything and even compared my options with my cousins (his comp is right next to mine) and the results are identical, but yet he and my bro download at over 2000kb a second. I have no idea what else i can do..

My bro has XP (same one as i do) and my cousin has win. 7
June 18, 2010 02:47AM
Heya jazzman170.

What PeerBlock settings/options did you compare your cousin with (lists, configuration) ? Have you made sure that you can download past 300kB mark with the torrent you're downloading like say having your brother download same torrent? Can you, your brother and your cousin download 2000kB simultaneously (ie not affected by bandwitdh propagation and router's settings)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 02:48AM by Tippy.
Anonymous User
June 18, 2010 03:02AM
all options checked for blocking, default list and configuration. My cousin was downloading the file that i went to go get to compare to. he then turned it on and almost instantly it just climbed up to 1mb, then to almost 2mb a sec. Mine wouldnt pass 300. it would barely pass 200kb. As for my bro and cousin downloading at the same time, they are perfectly fine. each will get around 1-1.5mb.

I have no idea what could possibly be blocking this. Also, i even tried just not using peerblock and just utorrent open (i was willing to take the chance of tracking haha) and still it wont pass 200-300kb max. Then i had my cousin test his again, and he still gets around 1-2-3mb a sec WITH peerblock. im sure it would be the same if he wasnt using peerblock also.
June 18, 2010 03:08AM
Are you on wireless or using a slower network connection?

Also, you may have other background programs running which may affect your speeds.
Anonymous User
June 18, 2010 03:22AM
I am directly connected into the router as is my cousin, and my bro is wireless. I will try ending all the unnecessary processes running in the background.
Anonymous User
June 18, 2010 04:05AM
by closing most of my useless programs running int he back, the speeds got upto almost 800 so looks like that was the problem tongue sticking out smiley thanks :3
Anonymous User
June 24, 2010 09:24AM
I know it sounds trivial...but try running a couple antispyware/antivirus apps.....since your configuration options are IDENTICAL - the only thing I can think of is PB is "doing it's job" and blocking the bad guys with the large pipes....

Sadly, if your cousin won't use PeerBlock while on your network, you may as well not use it either.....cause then you'll be going "WTF" when you get that cease and desist letter, thinking "but what, I've been running PeerBlock! This can't be!"

I know there's some various TCP/IP networking "tweaks" you can do but doubt they work under the new age of Windows Vista/7....By reading your first post, you seem to be blocking a LOT of IP addresses....try limiting PB to just the "Level 1" list while you are p2ping.....
June 24, 2010 10:15AM
ahoier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

try limiting PB to just the "Level 1" list while you are p2ping.....
Just remember that if you restrict your lists to just Level 1 you are still leaving potential security holes open.  The "bad guys" could be coming in through a proxy if you don't have a proxy list active for example, or something else.  The "bad peers" and "faker" lists can also be helpful in weeding out people who aren't playing nicely on P2P, keeping you from wasting bandwidth talking to them.  And of course you would no longer be preventing your machine from communicating with "bad guys" who could be on the Atma/DShield/Hacker lists...

Like pretty much everything else in life, it's a balancing act.  smiling smiley  Gotta balance your level of paranoia against the possibility of blocking too many potentially high-bandwidth "innocent bystanders"...

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login