Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questionable Blocked IPs

Posted by chickenhide 
Questionable Blocked IPs
June 14, 2010 01:31PM
Hello PB forum. I'm brand new, haha. Anyways, I just installed PeerBlock yesterday and as far as I can see its working great. (although I've been told that PeerGuardian 2 is better...)

I have blocked numerous IPs that seem to scare me. Keep in mind, I only installed Peerblock to avoid "the letter."

72.128.112.198 (Roadrunner RRWE) is ALWAYS trying to connect to me. I believe this is because TWC is my ISP and they, for whatever reason, feel the need to connect to all their clients 24/7, because I see this all around Peerblock forums.

195.28.30.54 (Pan AMP GmbH) often tries to connect to me. I'm not sure what this is...I seem to be one of the few people having this problem.

217.175.154.211 (Central Switching Station) is kind of weird. I don't even know what this is.

206.74.130.23 (State of South Carolina) What?

76.231.47.75 (AT&T Possible Macrovision) Sounds scary.

and 208.111.171.83 (Limelight Networks LLC) Confirmed: Part of Valve Corporation/Steam

I also once got Lyse | Anti-P2P trying to connect to me.

Can someone tell me what these IPs are and what I can do about them?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2010 03:26PM by chickenhide.
fxm
Re: Questionable Blocked IPs
June 14, 2010 02:32PM
chickenhide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been
> told that PeerGuardian 2 is better.

Utter nonsense.
Whoever told you that was yanking your chain and/or an absolute moron.
June 14, 2010 03:23PM
lol, really?
why?
June 14, 2010 07:15PM
No more dev work is being done on PeerGuardian 2...see here-> [www.peerblock.com]

Based on those IPs PeerBlock is doing its job and blocking bad connections. Which port numbers are these IP addresses using?

72.128.112.198 (Roadrunner RRWE) could be ISP related.
195.28.30.54 (Pan AMP GmbH) Wireless Internet Service Provider in the Ukraine.
217.175.154.211 (Central Switching Station) Central Switching Station of Ministry Railway Transport in Moscow, Russia.
206.74.130.23 (State of South Carolina) West Carolina Rural Telephone Coop
76.231.47.75 (AT&T Possible Macrovision) AT&T Internet Services....could be Macrovision
and 208.111.171.83 (Limelight Networks LLC) is usually related to Limewire.

You can do lookups based on the IP address over at IBlockList:
[iblocklist.com]

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2010 07:25PM by zerocoolxp.
June 15, 2010 01:25AM
Oh, thanks a lot for the site. I didn't know about that at all. Thanks for everything.

I also wondered:

Why would Central Switching Station of Ministry Railway Transport in Moscow, Russia. even want to connect to me? I don't live in Russia...
I'm also often tried to be connected to by the Russian Federation...whats that all about?
June 15, 2010 07:58AM
Especially if you're running a P2P app, your machine will be connecting to (and being connected-to from) all sorts of machines all across the Internet.  Some of these connections may be "normal" filesharers, some may be from anti-p2p and/or p2p-tracking companies, some may be from governments trying to figure out what their citizens are up to . . . and some may be due to some poor guy working at the "Central Switching Station of Ministry Railway Transport in Moscow, Russia" who just wants to download while he's at work the same thing you happen to be downloading.

PeerBlock doesn't judge these users, all it does is note their IP address.  It then checks this IP address against the lists of IP addresses you've told it to block, and blocks it if you've instructed it to do so.  All those names you see come from within the lists themselves - each IP address range has a "name" describing it, we simply display that name to you.

You're probably running with our default "P2P" list, which is the Bluetack Level1 list renamed for clarity, which includes government as well as anti-p2p organizations on it.  Since these machines belong to IP addresses that Bluetack has flagged as belonging to governmental IP-address ranges, PeerBlock is preventing your machine from communicating with those machines.

Make sense?

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
June 15, 2010 06:11PM
You'd be surprised how many public service & goverment employees run P2P apps.......even the US Military. Locking down a network is hard for any network administrator.

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 35
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012